Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default "Sewer Solution" - anyone?

In anticipation of getting our new B van next month, I would like to set something up at home for very occasional waste tank dumping.

Normally in the past, with our travel trailers, I have never needed this as we always ensure tanks are dumped and clean when leaving the last RV site, but I anticipate things could be different with the van - ie day trips and such.

99% of the time we only use the RV toilet for "peeing" and that would certainly be the same with day trip use, so tank emptying should be wthout major issues - I hope.

I suppose we could just leave the tank partly full until next time we visit an RV park, throwing in extra chemicals from time to time if needed.

But I have been looking at ways of dumping at home to keep things bit more clean.

I have come across the "Sewer Solution" water operated device - a sort of macerator that looks as though it could do the job for us - especially considering the way we use our black tank.

I know that there are portable electric macerators - but much more $$, more things to go wrong I imagine, and I think that if its perforance is half decent, the water powered one could be a simple way to go for us.

Comes with a 10' x 3/4 hose and you can buy a 25' extension - this would reach from our driveway, through the garage, and to the standpipe in our adjacent laundry room into which our clothes washer hose normally dumps, and that is what I thought to use. (I haven't seen a convenient clean out anywhere around the place.)

Before I order, just wondering if anyone has experience with the "Sewer Solution" and/or any other comment or advice ?

At one time local waste water plants around our home had free dump stations but from what have found they are now all history - they don't even offer a facility for use for a fee.

There is a local Park nearby that has a dump station, but unless you are camping there, the charge is $17 !

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Frankly, I'd pay the $17 dump fee (or maybe find a cheaper one nearby). If you find you only need to dump every other month or so, I may be cheaper than the alternatives. I understand about not wanting to pay a fee, especially one so high.

Otherwise a macerator is the way to go, but as you said they get pricey and you have to hook/unhook them so they are still messy.

Can you option the macerator pump on your new class B?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Water powered macerator

How about this one, no personal experience but it looks good. A ball valve on the water powered macerator oulet will allow you to rinse the tank. Sewersolution hose will be very clean after a dump.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The Sewer Solution does work and work decently.

However, it uses a lot of water so it can push the sewage uphill.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I agree that it does work, but takes a lot of water to push things uphill. I have a longish level run that I push through a dedicated water hose for fifty feet, once started I only pulse the water jet occasionally to break up debris. The cheap plastic quick connect connection to the fresh water hose leaks on mine, only a minor inconvenience really.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Frankly, I'd pay the $17 dump fee (or maybe find a cheaper one nearby). If you find you only need to dump every other month or so, I may be cheaper than the alternatives. I understand about not wanting to pay a fee, especially one so high.

Otherwise a macerator is the way to go, but as you said they get pricey and you have to hook/unhook them so they are still messy.

Can you option the macerator pump on your new class B?
You are probably right about paying the fee - just seems a bit exorbitant and that annoys me on principle!

As well, maybe not as convenient as being able to "take care of business right in my driveway!

I don't think getting a macerator installed during the build is an option for me. I am buying a PW - and they seem to firmly believe in gravity! (as do I generally - just won't work at my home as I need to go up a couple of feet in elevation!)

This "Sewer Solution" water pressure operated macerator I am looking at is much less $ than the electric ones. Likely not as effective as the electric ones but as we are only dealing with "Pee & one ply paper" is hopefully up to the job!

Thanks ............. Brian.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
How about this one, no personal experience but it looks good. A ball valve on the water powered macerator oulet will allow you to rinse the tank. Sewersolution hose will be very clean after a dump.

Yep, That is the one I'm looking at! If I don't hear of anyone's bad experience I will likely try one!

Brian.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfturner View Post
I agree that it does work, but takes a lot of water to push things uphill. I have a longish level run that I push through a dedicated water hose for fifty feet, once started I only pulse the water jet occasionally to break up debris. The cheap plastic quick connect connection to the fresh water hose leaks on mine, only a minor inconvenience really.

Using a lot of water won't be a big deal for me if I use it at home. Ss for leaking, I wonder of the soft yellow silicon hose washers will fit. I use them all teh time on hoses and find them very good - they are, and remain, very soft and pliable and usually make a good seal. A bit pricy compared to plastic or rubber, but much more effective IMHO.

Thanks you for the feedback, I think I will be giving the "Sewer Solution" a try f we find the need to often dump the tanks at home.

Brian.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
You are probably right about paying the fee - just seems a bit exorbitant and that annoys me on principle!

As well, maybe not as convenient as being able to "take care of business right in my driveway!

I don't think getting a macerator installed during the build is an option for me. I am buying a PW - and they seem to firmly believe in gravity! (as do I generally - just won't work at my home as I need to go up a couple of feet in elevation!)

This "Sewer Solution" water pressure operated macerator I am looking at is much less $ than the electric ones. Likely not as effective as the electric ones but as we are only dealing with "Pee & one ply paper" is hopefully up to the job!

Thanks ............. Brian.
I think most of the built in macerator pump systems have a gravity back up.
I have a cassette toilet currently and it gets used every time the 3 us take a road trip. It is convenient to be able to empty at home. I clean it out after every trip and on my next B I want a black tank with a macerator or a sewer solution because my next retirement home will have a RV garage and I don't want to park a black tank B in it unless the tanks are empty.
To me it's worth the price of macerator to be able to empty the tanks at home.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I think most of the built in macerator pump systems have a gravity back up. ....

Actually most built in macerators from major RV manufactures don't have a gravity back-up. Many of us have added them. Here is a photo of my setup.
IMG_1425.jpg
Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 PM   #11
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Actually most built in macerators from major RV manufactures don't have a gravity back-up. Many of us have added them. Here is a photo of my setup.
Sorry...I assume too often.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:56 AM   #12
Platinum Member

I'll say you're both right, to a degree.

It's not convenient, but with the removal of two bolts & two wires, my macerator comes off it's 3" standard bayonet connection. Airstream even includes a 3" cap, which would serve no purpose except for the situation I described.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #13
Platinum Member

This won't help unless you have a macerator pump.
I too was thinking about a home dump. Then it occurred to me, there is a sewer manhole 3 feet from the end of my driveway. I changed the plastic hose end to a metal one (it has a smaller OD, but the same ID). I ground off the barbs and it fits into one of the manhole cover holes so I don't need to open the cover to dump. Now I'm a happy camper.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I too was thinking about a home dump. Then it occurred to me, there is a sewer manhole 3 feet from the end of my driveway. I changed the plastic hose end to a metal one (it has a smaller OD, but the same ID). I ground off the barbs and it fits into one of the manhole cover holes so I don't need to open the cover to dump. Now I'm a happy camper.
Do you know if that manhole cover goes into an open sewer? Where I live, the manhole cover leads down to enclosed pipes. Dumping directly into it would make things a mess for any workers who needed to fix anything down there.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Do you know if that manhole cover goes into an open sewer? Where I live, the manhole cover leads down to enclosed pipes. Dumping directly into it would make things a mess for any workers who needed to fix anything down there.
Not only that, but if it IS an open sewer, it is very likely a storm sewer, not a sanitary sewer. Not at all the same thing.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I briefly thought about that too! we live n a corner lot and the street along side our house dead-ends at the back of our property line (bicycle path behind) and there is a large drain manhole in the road right there!

However I think it could get kinda stinky, and I doubt very much you are allowed dumping waste in there, as I'm sure it is strictly a storm drain and as such totally separate from waste drains - so I gave up on that idea!

Brian.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Thanks for all of the concern.
I would not be dumping into the manhole if I did not know it is a sewer, not a storm drain or utility access. I was there when my home was built and personally saw the pipes when they were unearthed and connected to. Also, the city services the sewer regularly and I have watched the process.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Do you have a septic system? We had someone install a RV dump pipe into our septic line, when we had the class C to dump our waste at home just like the RV Park.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #19
Platinum Member

If you know where the pipe is that leads to the sanitary sewer and its not too deep, it might be feasible to dig down and have a dump pipe added.

Have you done a thorough check for nearby dump stations? Truck stops, highway rest areas, trailer parks, municipal facilities...there may be other options. We don't have a convenient dump near us but there are ones at truck stops that we pass when returning to town and that is usually our last stop before home.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Whether you pee or poop, The dumping issue/ need would be the same - based on what you said you want to do.. If you feel you have to dump pee you will most certainly have to dump the poop. What am I missing here? I’m going to assume you aren’t staying iat any campgrounds that have dumping stations otherwise this would be a non-issue. Dump before you go and don’t your “(?@9” with you. I guess I am missing something? We have a macerator pump and it works fine. Again I think I missing something?
Djette1 is offline   Reply With Quote