Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Shocks, Oil Changes, etc

Newbie questions here, but...
Do you take your Class B in to get the shocks replaced or is that something you would do yourself? Also, any suspension shop or do you always go to RV Shops?

Same with oil changes. Any oil change place?

What about parts like vents, lights, toilets etc. Are you guys going online or to a place like camping world? I went to camping world and bought a memebership, but stuff seems expensive there.

Thanks,
Mark
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

This year, I took my Class B to a shop that works on bigger trucks and not an RV shop. I had tires replaced plus new brake pads and calipers. They charged less than an RV shop would.

I take my Class B to Jiffy Lube.

Online for the RV type parts.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I made the mistake of taking my RT 190P to an RV shop to address a sticky fuel injector. Their diagnosis alone ran a couple hundred bucks. I then took it to my regular mechanic who fixed the problem at a reasonable rate, I would have gone to him first but when I called and told the person on the phone I had an RV they redirected me to the RV shop. What I learned is if I tell them it's a campervan, they treat it like a van. I think they were thinking I had a class C and that their ceilings were too low for it to go on a lift.

I changed my own oil no problem - just got some of those plastic blocks to drive the rig onto so I could crawl underneath.

I am still sort of new to all of this but I have learned shopping online works great. I am also learning to wait until I need something before buying. For example, I bought a 12v fan thinking we had to have it but after 6 camping trips have yet to use it.

I think if I had an "RV" problem, say my generator or refrigerator or furnace broke down, then I would take it to the RV shop. But for things like suspension, tires, brakes, engine work, etc... I would take it to my regular shop or do it myself.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I've gone from having a shop do most things to trying to DIY everything I can.

At a minimum I'd suggest knowing exactly what the maintenance requirements are for your Class B. That also includes knowing what specification fluids/oils/lube are recommended for your vehicle.

A decade ago, forum member Bobojay noticed the fast lube place I went to had put the wrong spec oil in my vans differential. (I had posted the work done). The fast lube place paid for a GM dealer to drain & replace that oil & gave me a credit etc. I didn't know much about this stuff then & really appreciated the help. I now doubt that it was even due to be changed.

That made me realize that I'd feel more comfortable if I began to learn what needed to be done etc. & that progressed to DIY where possible.

An example would be knowing how many lube points (grease fittings) there are (if any) on your van. I know there are 15 lube points on my 1997 GM van. That probably applies to 1997 to 2002 GM Savana / Chevy Express vans. If I ever took it to a shop for that I could tell them where all those points are located to make sure the job gets done.

Booster could write a book on Chevy Express maintenance & I've been very fortunate to have his advice on selecting transmission oil etc. I'm sure there are members here who know everything needed for Dodge vans also.

Most dealers and garages should be able to work on a campervan as noted by ManWonder. It's a good idea to call first to make sure they can accommodate the height & weight of your van.

Changing the shocks on a GM/Chevy van is a straightforward job. I'd assume it is similar on Dodge vans. I found changing the front shocks fairly easy but the rear shocks more difficult because you have to compress the shock (not easy) while you are laying on the ground under the van and try to slip a bolt in place. There are probably several tip & tricks on how to do that here on the forum. I managed to compress them a bit more than needed and then quickly slip the bolt in place as the shock expanded.

If you start doing your own maintenance then you'll likely look into ramps and stands. Here a topic with lots of info on that: http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...amps-2474.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have never considered going to an RV shop for chassis, engine, tires, etc. service. That's not really what they do and if they do I suspect they really don't care to do that work but might do it as a courtesy at a premium price.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I really enjoy doing the work myself, i enjoy working on my van almost as much as I like going on trips with it , there was a gentleman on another site, that explained if you really want to know how something works and operates, take it apart, and put it back together again,, I am not a pro mechanic by any means, but I find by doing the work myself I am learning how a lot of things operate on my 97 Dodge Roadtrek, which is handy if I break down out on the highway or in the middle of nowhere. also I like to know that good quality fluids are being used, along with any parts that need replacing, I bought one of those really good repair manuals that covers my year, make and model dodge van, and that has helped out a lot, with certain specs that I needed to know. My only word of caution is to always be safe when your working on or under your van, its nice to save some dollars, but not at the price of hurting yourself,,,, take care,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post

I am still sort of new to all of this but I have learned shopping online works great. I am also learning to wait until I need something before buying. For example, I bought a 12v fan thinking we had to have it but after 6 camping trips have yet to use it.
Hahaha! I totally do this too!. For example, I took my rig to an upholstery guy today to "update it". My upholstery, I kid you not, looks almost brand new. I just hate that mauve color. He looked at it and said, "man your interior is in great shape. Why don't you tear it up for a couple years and then come back and see me." Arghhh...he was totally right.

I feel you on this one! Thanks ManWonder.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:25 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have never considered going to an RV shop for chassis, engine, tires, etc. service. That's not really what they do and if they do I suspect they really don't care to do that work but might do it as a courtesy at a premium price.

I suspect you are correct sir.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
Platinum Member

@Peppster - Sound advice!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Depending on the age of the RV....I DIY all of mine because it's a 1986, something more hi-tech I would consider a mechanic, depending on what needs doing.
briancummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I might add if you dropped off your B and asked them to install new tires they would probably drive your B down to Discount Tire or Sears to have it done. You can do that yourself.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
I might add if you dropped off your B and asked them to install new tires they would probably drive your B down to Discount Tire or Sears to have it done. You can do that yourself.
LOL

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:39 AM   #13
Platinum Member

consider an RV shop for Rv systems.

an auto mechanic for the auto systems.

i do most of my own stuff- oil changes are a breeze, shocks and brakes are fairly easy.

but I have time, space, manuals & experience and tools such as jacks and jackstands which will support a heavyweight.

for Rv stuff I look for those who are experienced- youtube is a great resource
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I wait for a coupon from my Dodge/Ram dealer for an oil change or a tire rotation. I got the oil changed for $30 and the tires rotated for around $10. They have a checklist of items they look at and they perform all flash upgrades free of charge. They offer to wash the van, but I tell them don't bother and the look of relief on their face is priceless.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #15
Platinum Member

IN many cases the coupons are for conventional oil only- most of us want synthetic oils. they cost twice as much, last twice as long and do a better job while in there.

The dealer hopes for an upsell when they tell the customer that the coupon is for conventional oils ( which are spec'd by NO vehicles made in the past 15+ years) and you need synthetic or diesel specific oil formulations.

if you find a coupon for the correct oil type and grade- do take advantage of that.

jiffy type places- mark your old oil filter- when you go in, tell them you want t see your old filter after the work.

some of these places will skip the filter- they may also just siphon motor oil and or tranny fluid out the dipstick tube and replace with new but cheap stuff.
these guys get exposed time and time again by tv and consumer advocates.
suckers keep them oil suckers in business.

buyer beware.

if you change your own oil, then you know what is in there.

on my chev, I can put a couple of leveling blocks under each front tire and reach the filter and drain laying on the driveway. this is a 20 minute job- 15 minutes of which is the oil draining. ANY shop which sells oil has to accept old oil for recycling at no charger, just make sure the container isnt contaminated by water or other stuff

for bonus points- the chassis should be lubed at this time, the zerk fitting can be hard to spot, but look for old grease marks and that'll show you where- a hand held grease gun set w/ lube is $15

Tires- sams or costco do rotations, inflations etc.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote