Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Syd

Question Shopping still!

Narrowed down to Aktiv, Carrado, and just now discovered Winnie Revel.
Anyone have opinions on your personal experience? I'm overwhelmed ; I paved roads are in our Must Have Decent Clearance List. Thanks!
Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Silver Member

I mean...it all comes down to what you want. I wish i had held out for the Revel..For going more places than I can go with my 2017 ERA.
What do you need...?
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

With the above choices, I'd go for a Revel with an EasyStart AC capacitor if you are in a warmer climate and haul along a 2000 watt Honda generator if needed. The Carado vans have low ground clearance, so if doing anything other than tarmac or gravel, I would shy against the ProMaster vans.

I wonder if Winnebago is still selling the 4x4 option for the ERA vans. It can't go as many places as the Revel, but it would have decent clearance.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I love the layout of the Revel and that it's for 4-season use--the high ground clearance and 4x4 are also great--but, it is a taller vehicle (nearly 10' as opposed to the Promaster at 9' 5") and you'll want to drive one to be sure you're comfortable. I haven't driven the Sprinter yet because I was trying to steer away from diesel but the Revel is hitting so many right buttons it's hard to resist. Most people seem to like the sprinter seats better than the Promaster, but it's good to check for yourself.

And of course, the Revel is a more costly vehicle than the two you've mentioned. If cost isn't a factor then just focus on what you're going to use it for and what vehicle best suits your particular needs.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It appears that the Revel is on a 2500 single rear wheel Sprinter?

At 8550# allowable weight, the older 3/4 ton Sprinters had issues of going overweight very easily. Are the doing anything different on the Revel to stay within weight?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We test-drove a 4X4 Sprinter Roadtrek Agile last summer and I was uncomfortable with the ride, meaning it made me a bit nervous. We have a 4X4 crew cab truck so I'm used to the height - it just seemed a bit wobbly to me. It was probably fine once you got used to it, but we decided we probably didn't want to spend a lot of time on the kinds of roads that require 4X4 because the jarring would be hard on the other components in the coach.

If all you care about is ground clearance (not the 4X4 option) then you have several other alternatives, including after-market-lifting pretty much any coach out there.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:36 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Default At what price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Narrowed down to Aktiv, Carrado, and just now discovered Winnie Revel.
I like your list...I am torn between the Aktiv and the Carrado. I am interested in reading what others think should be the maximum amount to pay for a new Carrado before moving to the next level of Class B the Aktiv?
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:47 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
It appears that the Revel is on a 2500 single rear wheel Sprinter?

At 8550# allowable weight, the older 3/4 ton Sprinters had issues of going overweight very easily. Are the doing anything different on the Revel to stay within weight?
I joined the Winnebago Revel FB group earlier this week to get more info...one of the members says the OCCC is 1,860 pounds. Another member says that he added a fourth AGM battery (there are three provided), loaded the van up with gear and water, and weighed on a scale with he and his wife in the van, coming up just over 8,000 lbs--so he had about 500 lbs to spare.

I'm not entirely sure what Winnebago has done, but I do know they used aluminum as supports for the cabinets and the cabinets are few--just two upper cabinets plus the small pantry.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 AM   #9
Syd

Thanks Eric,
Nowhere really wild like rock slabs, but up old logging roads, gravel and washouts sometimes. Really don't want to deal with 4x4 if I can find a b withJust enough clearance!
Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #10
Silver Member

Mlts22....Yes, the 2017 Winne ERA we have is a 4x4.
Eric Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote