Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Shore water connection - 98' Roadtrek

In the outside compartment for the shore water hook-up there are two lines leading from after the shore attachment. One of the lines has a valve (one on the right). It doesn't seem to matter how the valve is set the water goes directly to the fresh water tank. I would think that one of the two lines is for shore water on demand in the Rt and the valve controls the direction; on demand or fills the water tank..

When the water continues to run, and not on demand, the fresh water tank fills and overflows out the location in the back door to manually fill the tank. I have had to use the water pump to get water from the fresh water tank to the sink etc.

Does anyone know how these lines are supposed to work? It appears if they have been altered.

Thanks,
Bob
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
Silver Member

Correction to my post. I said "One of the lines has a valve (one on the right)." The valve is located on the line on the left.
I added an on/off valve under the unit by the line going into the water tank. Even when it is off water continues into the fresh water tank. This is like a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Can it be solved?
Is there a second line taking fresh water into the holding tank?

thanks, Bob
Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Hi Bob, I have a 97 roadtrek, and I had the same problem, for me it turned out to be the valve was broken, and no matter wich way I turned it, the water would keep pumping into the tank, and the pump would never stop working, I removed the valve, and after inspecting it, there is a little rubber band inside that when turned should shut off the flow of water, I went to several hardware stores and no one carried the grey plastic valve, I ended up replacing it with a brass valve from the plumbing dept., I think it was$6.00, it fit perfectly, and works great, now the pump only runs when I turn on a faucet or shower, hope this helps, if you need any more help, please ask,,,, sincerely,,,,,, Josef,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
Silver Member

Hi Josef, thanks for your reply. I need to clarify something. When you said, "... the water would keep pumping into the tank and the pump would never stop working...." So if you are connected to a shore connection such as in a camp ground your water pump comes on each time you use the faucet etc. or do you mean only when not connected to shore?

The 98' Rt manual says that the city water connection bypasses the water pump and fresh water tank. Therefore, the use of these items (water pump & fresh water tank) is not necessary when connected directly to an external water source.

I can follow the problem with a faulty valve continuing to fill the water tank but not sure why you say the pump only runs when you turn on a faucet etc. I would think the water pressure from the city connection would be all you need.

Thanks for any clarification.
Bob
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Hi Bob, your right, I should have clarified that better, my pump would keep running when I was not connected to a water source, when attatched to a water supply, the pressure is plenty, so the pump is not neccessary, I believe that valve is to allow us to fill the holding tank,, hope this helps,,,,
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #6
Silver Member

josef... I just got around to changing the stop valve in the outside compartment and that solved everything. As with your 97' my 98' also had a malfunctioning valve. Thanks for your feedback. The valve either lets the holding tank fill or the water is "on-demand" at the sink and commode. Bob
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Hi Bob, glad to hear you were able to solve the problem, when I bought my 97 roadtrek, it was a bit of a fixer upper, and I have learned so much from others on this and other sites, Im glad to be able to help out, if you ever have any other issues, let me know, will always try to help,,,,, take care,,,,
Old 09-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
Silver Member

josef..you will probably see this in my recent forum post. Next problem with my 98' Roadtrek is leaking from what I can only assume is a situation with the dump valves. How would I check this? What is the next step to repair? thanks Bob
Old 09-27-2015, 03:06 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Hi Bob, I have had that issue also, if you can slide underneath, and see where the water is actually leaking from, if it is from one of your waste valves, it is fairly easy to fix, the small valve is for the gray water, and the large valve is your black tank waste, both of the valves are atatched by four nut and bolts, one in each corner, by unscrewing the 4 bolts, your valve will be able to come out, you will probably need to pry the two sides apart just enough to pull out the valve, the valves are fairly cheap,( $15.00 or so, )and go back in fairly easy, if its the black plastic pipes on either side of the valve, they are standard plumbing pipe sizes from your local hardware store, if you can slide under, let me know where the actuall leak is coming from, and I'll try my best to help you, take care,,,,
Old 10-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #10
RKa

Can you enlighten me as to how to get that valve off? (response to a 2015 post) I have a Roadtrek 200 versatile 1998. The valve is butt up against the wall. I thought I could possibly cut it out of there but I don't think so. Seems impossible. I have to wonder why some things are installed in ways that don't foresee any future problem. Anyway I have the same issue of the fresh water tank filling up even while hooked to shore water.
RKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:34 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Hi RKa, I am assuming your talking about the grey water valve located in the underneath outer compartment, if you are, then the easiest way for me was to remove the lines going to the valve, there are big grey plastic retaining nuts on mine, they are easy to remove and it was the only way to get to the valve on mine, your set up may be different, if you need more help, take some pics, and Ill try my best to help,,,,, take care,,,,,
Old 10-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #12
RKa

Default not the grey or black water valve

Hi Peppster66

no it is not either of the waste water valves. There is a valve in the rear driver side storage area that houses the plug ins, and the water. It is a plastic device that when turned one way fills up the freshwater holding tank (when one is hooked into shore water) and when turned the other the other water flows directly to the taps and toilette within the vehicle. That valve does not completely divert the water so that when on direct flow to the taps it also, over the course of a few hours fills up the freshwater holding tank. I can't get that valve off. It seems to exist as a greater unit and too much torque will tear it and the piping apart. Any suggestions?

thanks

Randy
Old 10-01-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Hi Randy, I think you have a different model of Roadtrek than I do, so maybe they changed the set up ,this afternoon, Ill try and and take a picture of my set up, and show you what worked for me, if you can show a pic of your set up, that would be helpfull, thanks,,,,,
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #14
RKa

Default Hi again

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppster66 View Post
Hi Randy, I think you have a different model of Roadtrek than I do, so maybe they changed the set up ,this afternoon, Ill try and and take a picture of my set up, and show you what worked for me, if you can show a pic of your set up, that would be helpfull, thanks,,,,,

I don't know how to send the pics. I took them on my iPod and if I have an address I can send them but can't figure out how to send them on this site?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 AM   #15
Silver Member

Default Water valves

Randy,

Look under your Roadtrek and find the fresh water line that goes to the fresh water tank. It should be easy to install a valve right before the line goes into the tank. With that valve closed you should get no water in the tank when hooked up to a site with shore water. When you want water in your tank just open the valve.
This way you can ignore the hard to replace valve in the outside compartment.

Best,
Bob
Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 AM   #16

I purchase a 1998 Roadtrek Versatile 200. It had a full winterized fresh water tank. The first time I hooked up to the city water connection to my hose (with a flow reducer) it appears to have damaged all the connections in the rear compartment. The piping now leaks with the tank isolation valve in the open or shut position.

I have the same problem as others in that the threaded fittings are slammed right up against the fiberglass wall and I cannot turn them.

Has anyone ever replaced this line of piping?

Do you have to approach it from outside the compartment behind the wheel well?

I can't imagine the joints saw more than 50psig with the reducer, is that really enough to damage the valve?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3212.jpg (115.9 KB, 11 views)
womat9 is offline   Reply With Quote