Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Should "quiet time", also include "dark time"?

I have mentioned in the past about not particularly caring for all of the campsite lighting that has been showing up since the onset of LED lights of all sorts of styles.

We just got back from a quick 4 night trip to Copper Harbor, MI where we stayed at very nice state campground. Very nice place, and from the signs and things, it appears very tight on noise and dog mess, as in "ALL the time is quiet time, be considerate of others" and in "you always need to clean up after your pets, use the supplied bags from the special stations". We have never seen that many people actually clean up after their pets, probably 3/4 of them did vs the 10% we usually see.

What they didn't mention or seem to care about were lights, which like many places, were very common, and way beyond the lanterns, etc. 3' high very bright led lit multiple pink flamingos, rows of led strings on awnings, supports, clotheslines, on the ground, you name it. Many eventually got shut off at night, but many also were on all night. We had an Airstream trailer next to us that ran the multicolor awning lights 24/7 whenever they were there, plus at least 10 smaller lit pink flamingos. Next to them was a Forester class C that had big led porch lights on both sides of the RV that lit up the Airstream trailers on either side of him like daylight, also on 24/7. The lights next to us were not bad because of some bushes, but you could see the Forester lights lighting up the inside the trailers next to him very plainly.

Maybe we are just too sensitive to it, but when we go camping, it seems like being able to see the stars would be kind of nice, instead of pink flamingos, and it also would be nice to light the inside of our van with our lights, rather than some else's that are never shut off.

So---should quiet time also include "lights off" time?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm on your side, but frankly, when it comes to state parks, I think the battle is lost. Chili pepper light festoons and their ilk are so much a part of the family RVing culture that I don't think what you experienced is ever going to change.

But, there are lots of slightly more primitive alternatives where this are much less a problem. Certainly dispersed BLM and National Forest lands, but even COE improved campgrounds are much better, statistically at least.

So, was your stay at Fort Wilkins State Park? It one of my all-time favorite campgrounds.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I'm on your side, but frankly, when it comes to state parks, I think the battle is lost. Chili pepper light festoons and their ilk are so much a part of the family RVing culture that I don't think what you experienced is ever going to change.

But, there are lots of slightly more primitive alternatives where this are much less a problem. Certainly dispersed BLM and National Forest lands, but even COE improved campgrounds are much better, statistically at least.

So, was your stay at Fort Wilkins State Park? It one of my all-time favorite campgrounds.
Unfortunately, you may be correct, but I do think the campgrounds could make it at least more tolerable, as they have with generator hours and no generator areas, quiet times, and such. We don't care what folks want in their sites, but when all their stuff, like light, flood everyone else and are never shut off, it gets pretty obnoxious.

We like the other areas better also, but sometimes you need to be in a state or other more formal park to be where you want to be.

Yep, Fort Wilkens, east campground. Really nice this time of year, but not so much earlier in the year when it is blackfly, deerfly, mosquito, season which we hit the last time we were there (bug season ran late that year).

Wilkens has nice new showers now, and they are building bike and mountain bike trails all over the place in Copper Harbor. It appears that they have decided that the mountain bikers, races, etc plus lots of tough and easy trails is their tourist future, and I can't disagree. I hadn't brought my bike, and wished I had. The last time we were there it was much less bike intense.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Speaking of Copper Harbor, have you tried the Harbor Haus restaurant? Amazingly good for the middle of nowhere.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Efficient LED will make the annoying illumination trend blooming. We were somewhere in the north Arizona campground watching a very proud owner of a class A bus illuminated with blue LED from the ground up. He was walking around the bus enjoying its beauty. De gustibus non est disputandum, but, this was a prime example of an RV kitsch in need of a plate under the bus to collect a dripping sugar.

In Oregon state parkas have often spacious campsites reducing the annoyance of bright LEDs.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Those large outside lights are an advertised and sought after feature on many RVs. I think they call them "scare" lights. They're not going away.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Site Team

And then there are the folks that bring those twinkling laser projectors and use them to light up the trees around their campsite.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Agreed++! Unnecessary noise & bright light seem to be the scourge & addiction of civilized? Humanity!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Along with some good B's, Euro countries also have good light pollution regulations, laws.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #10
Platinum Member

LOL. If you don't light the place up, ANIMALS could come wandering into the camp!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
Gold Member

I agree with you but perhaps "quiet time should be Dimmer Time rather than Lights off"
Old 09-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
I agree with you but perhaps "quiet time should be Dimmer Time rather than Lights off"
I think we all would be fine with that. I doubt anyone would advocate no lanterns on the picnic tables or things like that, or a small light to find your way to the bathroom, or bushes.

So basically lighting OK as long as it doesn't light up other campsites excessively?
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Gold Member

Yes, dimmed lights ok but bright "Las Vegas" style lights or nite sun lights are no-no's.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
Platinum Member

If you tell people they can have dimmed lights, you're going to find some very bright dimmed lights. Kinda like quiet generators.

Just ban them all after say 10 o'clock.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM   #15
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
If you tell people they can have dimmed lights, you're going to find some very bright dimmed lights. Kinda like quiet generators.

Just ban them all after say 10 o'clock.
Agree. The problem is the 'gray stuff' concerning what is ok, appropriate. Prior to led, not a big deal. Now we have batteries that will power a billboard, coming to blm grounds soon. Not really, I hope.

Bud
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Time to get that million candle power spotlight to send a message?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #17
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Time to get that million candle power spotlight to send a message?
To whom Mr. booster?

Bud
Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
To whom Mr. booster?

Bud
To the guy who is lighting up your campsite and the inside of your van, of course.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

We have a no light after 11pm fetish. It ruins the experience for us of being out in the boonies.
The times we've been out in the middle of no-where Utah with absolutely zero light have been the best experiences for us. Love looking at the stars

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote