Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Shoulder harness? in a 1987 RT front passenger sets

Greetings all.
I have been looking at the Road trek for a couple years now and I found one when money and availability match up.
It looks like this deal will go through but I am really hoping to put shoulder belts in the passenger seats if possible.
there is no way I could ever afford a new one that has them.
its a 1987 that converts the seats to two single beds in the front., so the passenger seat are fixed.( the versatile )
I have a daughter that has back problems and would like to convert the lap belts to shoulder harnesses for her protection. I have talked to some RV dealers and others and have gotten nowhere with answers. I E mailed RT and nothing is available. I would be willing to do some tear down to do it and anchor the shoulder harness to the body/framing behind the paneling.
Has anyone done this with success?
I am new to this forum and when I was RVing ( trailering ) 16 years ago I did not even have the internet to access all this information. I am pretty excited to go though the forum during sleepless nights which are really rare but about to become more frequent.

Gexter
gexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Shoulder harness? in a 1987 RT front passenger sets

You might try racing car builders and search around racing and aerobatic aircraft web sites to find someone who does the build-up work for them. I'd be worried, though, that without a whole lot of engineering expertise, the liklihood of putting wrong loading on the human body with a jury-rigged shoulder harness could do a great deal more damage than a whole lot of defensive driving can do.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Re: Shoulder harness? in a 1987 RT front passenger sets

Thanks for the response VernM

I had a child seat anchor done in my minivan 93 dodge and all they did was drill a hole in my floor and put a bolt and a hook in. I Thought if it was that easy, why was I worried about it being perfect. I thought it had to anchor to parts of the frame and not a piece of sheet metal.
I agree that it might be more problems than its worth and my fear is it not being safe.
I thought of the racing harness but that would require a cage and some know how and there is no way I am going to revisit my welding skills and borrow a welder to fabricate a cage for a racing harness. Besides I think my teenage daughter would hate me forever if I did!. LOL.
Unless I get some successful ideas I agree, I should just leave it alone. With the driving courses I have taken and the mileage I have put on, I do watch out for those potential problems.

Thanks again.

Gexter
gexter is offline   Reply With Quote