Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default SideKick Travel Trailer by Great West Vans / Trillium RV

Great West Vans has introduced its 2014 SideKick Travel Trailer.

Quote:
Introducing the 2014 SideKick Trillium!

This lightweight, fiberglass travel trailer is virtually leakproof and can be towed with ease by many smaller size vehicles. The SideKick comes in 2 lengths, 13 feet (1300 model) & 15 feet (1500 model), weighing approx. 1,700 lbs & 2,200 lbs. (dry) respectively. Originally designed to meet the small car influx in the early 70?s, the Trillium was the perfect answer for those who had these new cars with a limited tow capacity. With today’s high fuel prices, compact SUV’s and crossover vehicles becoming more and more popular, this fun little travel trailer is an obvious choice for many who enjoy to travel, and save a little money.

Great West Vans has teamed up with Trillium RV to produce the SideKick Trillium. We have combined the classic look of the Trillium trailer and put our signature GWV styling and craftsmanship into it to produce a slightly more modern version of the travel trailer that so many have adored over the years.

There are a variety of options to choose from when building your SideKick, please see below of the 2 packages we offer filled with the most popular choices:

Classic Package: Fridge, Roof Fan, Electric Brakes, 12V Battery, Aluminum Wheels, Power Fan, Flourescent lighting, Upper Shelves

Legend Package: All items in Classic Package plus: Spare Tire with carrier and cover, 2.8 cf fridge, MaxxAir Roof Fan, 30 amp Power Cord, Propane Bottle Shelf, Rear Table Shelf, Removable Closet Shelves, Roof Mounted Solar, Opening Door Window, Cable TV Hook up, Lined Under Seat Compartments

Available Options: CD/Radio/AUX Prep, TV Prep/Closet Mount, Roof Mounted A/C, Interior 12V Outlet, Exterior Duplex Outlet, 6 gal. DSI Water Heater, Microwave (1500 model only), Propane Heating, Roof Mounted Solar System (Standard in the Legend Package) Crank out Awning, Exterior Shower
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 SideKick Great West Vans.jpg (82.0 KB, 1866 views)
File Type: jpg 2014 SideKick Great West Vans Trillium.jpg (47.3 KB, 1865 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: SideKick Travel Trailer by Great West Vans / Trillium RV

I just noticed that they had them on the Lake Regions RV site the other day. They look like a pretty nice layout with a bit nicer appointments than the Aliner or Scamps. When it warms up and we are out, we are going to go and give a look, as Lake Regions is only a few miles from us. Still, nothing comes close to the cool and practical of a $afaru Condo, though.

A quick look online shows them to be pretty spendy, starting at $22K, and there were some complaints of quality issues, but that could have been on earlier ones before Great West started building them. Apparently, Trillium has had several different builders over the years.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Pricy, but with what I know now about travel trailers, I'd far rather go for an "egg" trailer than the standard travel trailer made today which self-destructs in five years.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

What, no tub, shower, commode???
Why did they simply replicate some/most of the more common class B functionality, and ignore the potential use of some portion of the unit as a full(er) bath add on? They added a water heater option and an "external shower"?
Head scratcher, imo.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There's more info the pdf file on their site: http://www.greatwestvans.com/wp-content ... railer.pdf

Basically it says there are two models; 1300 & 1500 and that the front Restroom/Shower is available in the 1500 model only.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg corner restroom or front restroom with shower.JPG (47.8 KB, 1765 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

From what I saw in my quick look around, they have been making them for quite some time, so not a newbie. They just have been made by a bunch of contract builders, not in one spot, over the years.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I was excited to get to see 3 brand new SideKick travel trailers but was a bit disappointed in the fit / finish of the 15' $22,500.00 unit with the full bath that I was interested in as a possible compliment to my van's living quarters. I've now given up on that idea.

Note: now Sterling RV http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=3191

They could easily make a few improvements.

The sink could be moved forward a bit to allow a storage rack and counter space behind it. There's not much counter space available to even make a sandwich if you're using the stove. A single burner stove if available would help give back some counter space.

Front cushion did not fit.

Bathroom door screws were coming out of the wood. They should put a full length piano hinge there.

Nothing to prevent the door from blowing back against the trailer. They could put hold-open latch there.

The plastic block for the closet rod would be stronger if oriented with more plastic material under the rod.

The hard plastic closet rod end trim is not molded to the shape of the trailer wall so it won't stay in place.

They could cut the drawer fronts from the same sheet of ply. It would give a more finished appearance with uniform coloring and grain.

Trim is popping off in places.

A molded fiberglass cover to protect and secure the battery and propane tank would be nice.

The waste valves and plumbing look to be vulnerable to damage. They were at the front corner of the trailer.

I liked the full bathroom
and the solar panel on the roof
and the air conditioner
and the quality of the foam in the dinette / bed cushions

Attached Images
File Type: jpg counter.JPG (126.7 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg cushion not well fitted.JPG (97.2 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg door hing screws.JPG (111.6 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg door.JPG (89.5 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg drawer fronts.JPG (116.0 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg more trim.JPG (133.0 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg trim.JPG (117.0 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg no cover.JPG (126.3 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg waste valves.JPG (119.0 KB, 1189 views)
File Type: jpg plastic block.JPG (127.7 KB, 1187 views)
File Type: jpg rod trim.JPG (117.7 KB, 1188 views)
File Type: jpg Sidekick by Sterling RV.JPG (107.6 KB, 1189 views)
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I got a look at them at Lake Regions and was also unimpressed. Fit an finish was poor, layout not very well optimized, price high. Was the one you saw made in Canada or the US?
Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The guy said they brought them up from Alabama.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:18 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I looked at the one they had a Hershey. Agree with the statements about build quality. Looks like a home-built.

There are better options out there for less money if you like this kind of thing. Scamp and Casita come to mind. Me, I'd rather have a Little Guy T@B if I wanted a small trailer.

I don't see how this fits in with Great West's branding at all. It's like chicken & waffles. Maybe they are great together, or maybe they are totally greasy and disgusting.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Most small trailers are inexpensively (using a kinder word here) built because most all are competing in a price point market well below $20,000. That includes Casita and Scamp. The only exception seems to be the Airstream Bambi size and even they don't build to the quality of a Class B inside. Airstream trailers are not inexpensive but their historic reputation has effectively translated well to overpriced Class Bs.

The opposite, the Trillium, Great West Vans, Sterling or whatever it's travel trailer is called tarnishes the Class B business simply by association.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

From what we have seen, you can easily get to $20K+ on a Scamp, Casita, Parkliner, etc. It seems like the fiberglass egg trailers are more to start with, but also hold value better than the "conventional" little trailers. Then Sidekick is the same style and cost, but certainly not in the same league as the others. I agree that it tarnishes Great West's image for high end products. They should have gone to the higher quality end of the market, not the bottom.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Look up R-pod trailers. They weigh about the same I as the 15' model but 18' with a lot more room and tank capacity. The prices are in the high teens but with a slideout wall. Not an egg but a nice aerodynamic shape.Come to think of it. Why are we descussing trailers here? We have class b vans to not have trailers.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Having a trailer in addition to a Class B is a recurring idea for me for some reason. I guess it is the relatively cheap cost of the additional living space. I'm pretty sure I have finally given up on the idea but no promises

I really paid attention to how it would affect us this past trip. Towing something would have affected many of the choices we made and places we were able to visit along the way. It's all about the way you travel as a trailer plus van combo works great for some.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Platinum Member

seems to me if you are going to tow a trailer with a class B a folding trailer would be best. I like Trailmanors.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
seems to me if you are going to tow a trailer with a class B a folding trailer would be best. I like Trailmanors.
To us it the ideal would be Safari Condo Alto, but at about $40K to the US, you would need to be pretty much in need to justify it.

Like Marko, we have been considering a small trailer also, but only for the times we would be going somewhere for several weeks in one place, like we did to Custer Park this year. The rest of the time, we would be in just the B. Also like Marko we are still trying to decide if we really need and want to do it.

On this trip we will be close to, and probably visit, Trail Manor, Sterling, and Parkliner. We have already been to Safari Condo an Scamp.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Pleasure-way has a similar unit. Seems better built but still pretty basic. I see them as towables for SUVS. Cannot see duplicating the Sprinter interior package which include wet bath and so on. If I needed more sleeping / living space I would get a bigger rv. The extra towed weight degrades usually good mpg on Sprinters. I am currently out at Campbell River BC and it is raining hard and has settled in across the West Coast(Canada/USA). I am writing my book and wife sewing dresses for poor girls overseas. We are not cramped for space. Most of us know how to utilize the space we have without getting a tow home but, heh, whatever turns people's 'cranks'.
AL
PS and yes, I am cooking indoors too. Too chilly outside!
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #18
Platinum Member

What are you talking about Fastpeddler? Their website shows no towables.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote