Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #1

Default Simplicity vs Ranger

Just sold my 05 Roadtrek 170, just too small for the two of us. Considering the Ranger RT or perhaps the newer dodge based Simplicity. Coupla questions.

Anyone have any comments comparing these two?

Also, anyone have thoughts about why so many late model used Simplicity's listed on RVTrader, RVT, etc? Just popular or is something amiss with them?

Tx, Jim
heatlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #2

I don't recall seeing many Simplicity RV on Rvtrader being sold by private parties. There were several 2017 and 2018 I noticed with 10,000 to 20,000 miles by dealers who also have them as rentals. I suspect they sell them off after so many miles.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I would go by what you like, not necessarily how many are around. There are also lots of high end Roadtreks for sale, so lots of turnover, it appears.

They are both basic models, the Promaster is a newer style chassis and front drive, but many also like the Chevies like we do. Drive them and test live in them on the lot for a while to see what feels comfortable to you, as everyone has different tastes.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Bear in mind, your old school RT is built like a tank.
The current RT is a totally different animal -- it is a "different" company, owned by different people, ran by different people, with different ethics and mindsets. Just because you have had good experience with your old RT doesn't mean you will have the same experience with the newer ones.

YMMV
Old 11-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
.The current RT is a totally different animal -- it is a "different" company, owned by different people, ran by different people, with different ethics and mindsets. Just because you have had good experience with your old RT doesn't mean you will have the same experience with the newer ones.

YMMV
I'd say that the problem with the current RT is because it is still run by the same people with the same factory standards... which were destroyed under the ownership of the investment company that rescued RT during the recession.

Those of us with newer RTs had hoped that Hymer would come in and fix these continuing issues, but so far... not so much.

That said, the worst of the issues are with the fancy new technology (lithiums, voltstart, alde). The Simplicity still has the old tried and true technology.

Having had two Chevy based RVs and was happy with them, I must admit that I love the drive of the Promaster. The box shape for the conversion makes the rig feel so much roomier... which is why it will be the next rig I buy.

I think with the basic package of the Simplicity, heatlamp may find just what he is looking for. Many people are buying this rig and then add a second battery and solar... giving them more boondocking time.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Thanks for all the the info, good stuff. I'm leaning towards the newer dodge vans for their gas & space efficiency, but I'll check them both out.

Jim (heatlamp)
heatlamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Good thread. So great to hear comments from the very experienced folks here. You are a fantastic help.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ranger, simplicity