Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Default single battery pleasure way plateau

Hello,
The pleasure way factory maintains that the MB only has capability to charge one battery. Yet I see other converters are providing two batteries on the same chassis. Can anyone enlighten me on the battery issue. Thanks everyone.
Pete
Ok pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: single battery pleasure way plateau

In new Sprinters:
Standard Alternator: 180A
Optional Alternator: 220A

I think either choice should provide adequate charging amps for two house batteries. Which alternator does Pleasure-Way order in their Sprinters?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #3

I'm picking up coach next week,2012 PW RB on 3500 chassis and was trying to ascertain any modificatios/options and battery size. They skipped the part on size and were adamant that adding anthor battery was out of the question. I'll call again tomorrow. The dealer is in SO.CAL. and I live in Oregon. I completly spaced off on the battery issue. I thought they all were 2 6 volt batteries at 220 amps. Thanks for your reply. Was curious how other PW owners dealt with this problem or do they consider one battery a problem. I've never found one battery adquate.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It may be technically correct. I'll try to find out from Mercedes.
There are ways around it if so. A 50 amp thermal breaker on the wiring from the isolator (assuming 6 gauge) to the house batteries would limit the current to not exceed 50 amps for example. There may also be more intelligent devices to handle that. The key is to find out the excess alternator capacity.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #5

Thanks. The altenator is 220 amps. The techn. at Freightliner indicated there are batteries( single diesel batteries that will fit on the provided battery mount with higher amp ratings. My coach battery was replaced under warranty and I will have more time to research the possibilties. Your idea of an inline device to limit amps is probably the way to go. Thanks for your input
Pete
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Bronze Member

Our Winnebago ERA, purchased a year and a half ago, is essentially a LED lit coach. The LED lighting uses very little battery amperage compared to standard incandescent 12v bulbs. The TV is also LED 12V, we have never found the single battery to be lacking, even after several days of "dry camping". We do, however, tend to manage our battery usage by turning out lights not needed and being smart about power usage!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
Rok
Platinum Member

Hi Pete,

When we were shopping recently, we were considering a Pleasureway Plateau, we inquired about having another (second) battery added as an option. According to the dealership (Poulsbo RV in the Greater Seattle area w/5 locations), it was definitely NOT an option from PW, but it could be done with modification. After they checked it out more thoroughly, they told us that it could be done with modification, but it would be a major modification, with big cost. We eventually bought a Great West Legend SE instead, and it has two fairly hefty batteries for the coach totalling 400 Amp-hours. The larger EX model has 4 batteries totalling 500 Amp Hours, I've been told. This is what I've been told--I haven't had any cause to actually take the floorboard covers off and look at the batteries myself. We've had no problems with the batteries handling everything we wanted, except for once when we tried to run the microwave through the inverter and it buzzed an alarm at us and we immediately turned it off. But according to what we've been told it should even run the Microwave with the inverter if the battery is fully charged.

So, there are ways to have multiple batteries in a Sprinter class B, so I presume that it is something in the PW electrical arcetecture that makes it so tough to add a battery.

Again, this is all stuff we've been told, not anything we've actually done, so please take this information with a grain of salt.

............Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Gold Member

Hi!
I have a PW Plateau and one battery has never been an issue for me. I do a lot if dry camping too... I find that I can go 2 full days w/o driving or running the generator, but usually I end up having to drive somewhere since the van is my only transportation.

My van has all LED lights and I try to just use what I need. I also don't tend to watch TV (unless I'm overnighting at Wal-mart or something,but then I'm usually driving the next day. I don't have an inverter so that probably helps me manage power- I can't use the plugs, microwave or AC, unless I'm plugged in (or running the generator). There's not that much the draws - the fridge, but it runs on propane so just the igniter needs 12v, the hot water heater but that's propane too, and the stove needs power to ignite. The LP detector draws some too... I think that's it.

I do have a small inverter that plugs into the 12v, I tend to use that only to charge stuff while I'm driving.

Good luck!
teachergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok
Hi Pete,

When we were shopping recently, we were considering a Pleasureway Plateau, we inquired about having another (second) battery added as an option. According to the dealership (Poulsbo RV in the Greater Seattle area w/5 locations), it was definitely NOT an option from PW, but it could be done with modification. After they checked it out more thorally, they told us that it could be done with modification, but it would be a major modification, with big cost. We eventually bought a Great West Legend SE instead, and it has two fairly hefty batteries for the coach totalling 400 Amp-hours. The larger EX model has 4 batteries totalling 500 Amp Hours, I've been told. This is what I've been told--I haven't had any cause to actually take the floorboard covers off and look at the batteries myself. We've had no problems with the batteries handling everything we wanted, except for once when we tried to run the microwave through the inverter and it buzzed an alarm at us and we immediately turned it off. But according to what we've been told it should even run the Microwave with the inverter if the battery is fully charged.

So, there are ways to have multiple batteries in a Sprinter class B, so I presume that it is something in the PW electrical arcetecture that makes it so tough to add a battery.

Again, this is all stuff we've been told, not anything we've actually done, so please take this information with a grain of salt.

............Rocky
Hi Rocky,we like the Great west also but there were none in the area and we absolutely love the fixed bed. Just curious,did you order yours and pickup at factory? If you have the bug screens, how are they working out ?
Pete
Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Rok
Platinum Member

[/quote]
Hi Rocky,we like the Great west also but there were none in the area and we absolutely love the fixed bed. Just curious,did you order yours and pickup at factory? If you have the bug screens, how are they working out ?
Pete[/quote]

We ordered ours from the factory, but they brought it to us. We have both of the bug screens on our unit (we have nearly every option available, and some additional ones we negotiated for on our rig). We haven't had much cause to use them. Our first outing was mostly cool to cold. The few times we did use the sliding door one, it worked fine and we can see that it will be useful when we take it out next time and it is warmer &/or there are bugs.

One thing we didn't get was the 2 stage door (that's an MB factory option). I think your Plateau probably has it, doesn't it? I think the 2013's do.

............Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok pete
Hello,
The pleasure way factory maintains that the MB only has capability to charge one battery. Yet I see other converters are providing two batteries on the same chassis. Can anyone enlighten me on the battery issue. Thanks everyone.
Pete
Pete - Roadtrek puts two 6 volt AGM "house" or "coach" batteries under-the-hood on newer MB Spinters. (not chassis batteries)

Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #12

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the updates. Just left Johnson rv in Sandy ,Oregon and the Roadtrexs do have two batteries in the eng bay and appear to be AGMs. My next step will be to give the freightliner service center in Portland my VIN # to double check alt.size which is 225 amps, I think. Roadtrex modified the MB bracket for the battery considerable. Not sure if Roadtrex would sell the parts. But might be more reasonable to fabricate my own bracket. I ordered a spare tire carrier from Leisuretravel and they sent one for the chevy chassis instead of MB chassis which was clearly stated in my emails. To send the part back was over 200.00 dollars. They did give me 75.00 rebate and I modified carrier to fit both chassis's. However, I've since installed the Pleasureway tire carrier because of the need to tow kayak trailer.

Now back to the need for two batteries. We never use the tv on battery power and have LED lighting. Also, for music we use a self contained sound bar with I pod. That said if you stay during the spring and fall in the mountains, you might want to use your furnace. We like to read and listen to music after flyfishing and kayaking. On our latest trip, end of sept, the temps were down to just above freezing and that oh so inaccurate system monitor showed 1/3 capacity in the morning. Flooded cell batteries should not be discharged below 70% if you want a long service life. The battery is 105 amh and that gives you about 35 amps without discharging to far. I did not check battery with a VOM meter so my findings are not entirely scientific. That said, if you use the furnace your usage will be higher than you think. Again, thanks to everyone for your input. We have the fixed rear bed and don't use sleeping bags. Ninty percent of the time in moderate weather one battery is fine.
May you all stay fully charged forever!!
Pete
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

No more than 50% discharge is recommended for longer battery life so 52.5ah useable with a 105ah battery. If it is a true deep cycle battery then 80% discharge is permissible so 84ah useable.

I listed the amp draw of common RV appliances here: http://classbforum.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=345

One battery will get you through one night no problem. Some RVers will go much longer on one battery. Two house batteries are nice to have. It is not a necessity but it is easier on the batteries and they'll last longer if you don't have to discharge them as much. Often with a B van we're driving every day so really don't need a large battery bank.