Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Social comment on forum future

The class b forum has been know for being the most technical, and technically competent, website for class b information for quite a few years, and is the reason many of us are here. We learn from each other and broaden the knowledge base with each voyage into new or complex items. There have been many posters come through looking for help and getting it here when no place else could help. We disagree, certainly, but the basis of it all has always been data driven, which IMO is what counts if you want good results, which we get most of the time. Personal attacks and insults do nothing to advance the knowledge base.

It has been suggested that this forum should be less technical and tuned toward what everyone, everywhere, can understand without explanation. Incorrect data and units are OK if it is widely accepted by the people trying to sell you stuff, so don't correct the data just accept the wrong stuff. The goal, it appears, it to have this site be classb forum lite, or Facebook 2.

Anyone who dares to use technical terms or correct wrong information is chastised as being elitest and trying to be superior because not everyone will fully understand the discussion, which may get very technical. Solving tough or new issues isn't going to be possible without that kind of discussion by those who have the knowledge needed. Do you want your automotive tech to be able to understand your vehicle better than you do, or not? But you know what, those same elitest people are the ones that will be able to simply explain to that same person how to fix a problem without needing to understand the fine tech details that lead to the fix. That is the foundation of this forum, and there is a wide breadth of experience here that covers much more than any one person could ever know.

Markopolo started and built this forum into a very unique place on the very bland forum landscape, so it would be very unfortunate if it gets destroyed by those who really don't seem to care about helping anyone, just criticize and attack them.

I would encourage new members to not be sucked into this vortex of attack and fall for the "us against them" program that is being offered. If you see something you don't understand, just ask about it. If you see something you think is wrong, question it. That is what this forum is for. I really don't think you will find many members here that will ever criticize people for asking basic questions because we all are newbs at many things. Very simple questions have lead to some of the best discussions here, and new eyes on stuff is always good.

I now understand much better how many forums have self destructed, as it doesn't take much to drive away all the reasonable members who don't want to deal with the drama. Don't let this one be the next one to go.

Moderators, feel free to delete this if you wish, as I am sure it violates at least a few of the rules....

Edited to fit the rules... hope this one passes.

booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I agree with what he ^^^ said...

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Booster,
Good analysis... Good post... agree on all points..
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I would encourage new members to not be sucked into this vortex of attack and fall for the "us against them" program that is being offered. If you see something you don't understand, just ask about it. If you see something you think is wrong, question it. That is what this forum is for. I really don't think you will find many members here that will ever criticize people for asking basic questions because we all are newbs at many things. Very simple questions have lead to some of the best discussions here, and new eyes on stuff is always good.

I now understand much better how many forums have self destructed, as it doesn't take much to drive away all the reasonable members who don't want to deal with the drama. Don't let this one be the next one to go.

Moderators, feel free to delete this if you wish, as I am sure it violates at least a few of the rules....

Edited to fit the rules... hope this one passes.
Astute. Forums can be an amazing technical resource but they also build great brand loyalty and community. Tech heavy topics and newby questions can coexist and there is still room for topics about camping locations, pets and the best way to cook pancakes.

There is no room for trolls, attacks and rudeness. It drives away reasonable folks and in the end all that's left are board trolls, ranting at each other.
This kills forums. If you see rude posts report them so that we can take a look.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:00 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Thank you Booster. There is a metric describing society capability to move together toward share goals, it is called social capital, Scandinavian Countries top this international ranking. Takes many to build and a few to destroy.

I know another forum where just a few were successful in diminishing its value. Scrubbing from polluting posts took more effort than its value, life is too short. I think it happen due to practically no existing coaching by moderators which is not a case with this forum.

No one should be forced to learn math or physics, but folks not being experts in math or physics shouldn’t be telling others not to use it, different values for different folks. I wish this forum has long life ahead.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:22 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Please don't change a thing about this Forum. I have been around for a number of years, have no expertise or technical qualifications, but I have learned so much. i have referred many people to this Forum that were having problems and I felt were getting the wrong info to affect a repair or mod. I thank each and everyone here for the information and guidance to complete various items I was working on. Keep this Forum just as it has been.....people don't like that = they can go elsewhere or if necessary removed. Ron
Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
Platinum Member

What Ron said.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
Silver Member

Well done Booster!
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Well said. I am one of those non-technical types but love the learning value of this site. It is a great resource!
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Well said Booster!

I depend on this forum to have technical information. On my own, I can always find where to camp in South Dakota, but questions about suspensions, electrical problems and other RV systems have been a valuable part of this site.

Don't change a thing.