Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 01:42 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Re: Some interesting insights re: The Eurovan Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I found this webpage and follow up comments in regards to the Ducato/Promaster, and some of the other new models which may soon be used by class B van converters. It's a short initial pros/cons evaluation article by someone planning on doing a DIY build, followed by endless comments on the pros and cons of the various options available, and I found it interesting to see what other forums think about the chassis options we have now, and will have soon.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/the ... all-i-buy/
Very good review Mike. I do question some of the negativity about Sprinter diesels. I know a lot more people who have little or no problems. Brakes: strong and sure and better than the ones in my previous two C class Ford based chassis rvs. I have the I-5 turbo diesel and no/no problems at all.Tough engine/txn and quiet drivetrain.Great mpg too.

I am looking forward to the Ford Transit long wb version as I see it as a good candidate for rv conversion with rwd.
regards
AL
from sunny Vancouver Island
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
On a smaller scale, one can visit Sportsmobile's site and see what they offer for each van for floor plans and upfits.

The Ducato's price is right, but there are trade-offs. The van is intended for fleet owners (less for the drivers) and is engineered to have a low CPM overall. The Ford is a middle ground, and the Sprinter is ending up becoming a luxury car when loaded with options.

If one wants the best DIY build for 24 feet, the Sprinter is the only choice. 22 feet or shorter, then the Transit with the high roof will be close to ideal because it can be built with a drop-down bed, false floor, etc.

Of course, if the US ends up anywhere like Europe, we will see Sprinter upfits for the high end (since unlike Europe, people consider the Mercedes brand name to be a status symbol), and instead of the Express vans, we will see the ProMaster upfits take their place, using various workarounds for the innate PM issues.
I agree 100%. Sprinters are great vans for conversions but a bit pricey. The Ducato has some advantages except for fwd in some ways:towing and gravel road traction. I am waiting for the Ford Transit 148 chassis which looks to be a good van for converters. I believe Davydd will agree with that.
AL
Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1
Very good review Mike. I do question some of the negativity about Sprinter diesels. I know a lot more people who have little or no problems. Brakes: strong and sure and better than the ones in my previous two C class Ford based chassis rvs. I have the I-5 turbo diesel and no/no problems at all.Tough engine/txn and quiet drivetrain.Great mpg too.

I am looking forward to the Ford Transit long wb version as I see it as a good candidate for rv conversion with rwd.
regards
AL
I think most of the Sprinter comments were about the newer models, not the early vintages, like yours. I re-read the article, and again, most of the problems mentioned seem to happen with regular use by commercial operations like delivery company applications, not those which are used less often, like camper conversions. It may be the condensed wear and tear, and a tendency for some commercial applications to try to lengthen their maintenance window, or in some cases to postpone or skip scheduled maintenance. There's not much specific info in the comments to determine those factors.
Personally, I think most vehicles, properly maintained, will usually do OK. Sprinter included.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler1

regards
AL
I think most of the Sprinter comments were about the newer models, not the early vintages, like yours. I re-read the article, and again, most of the problems mentioned seem to happen with regular use by commercial operations like delivery company applications, not those which are used less often, like camper conversions. It may be the condensed wear and tear, and a tendency for some commercial applications to try to lengthen their maintenance window, or in some cases to postpone or skip scheduled maintenance. There's not much specific info in the comments to determine those factors.
Personally, I think most vehicles, properly maintained, will usually do OK. Sprinter included.

Yes. I agree re servicing and, I expect they get a lot rougher treatment than RVs do, as a rule.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
Platinum Member

The biggest Sprinter RV complaints I read are usually something with electrical or computer issues. The Sprinter starts throwing codes, the CEL is always on, and the rig goes into some variation of limp home mode. Other than that, I don't read much about sudden failure of Sprinters, even on the Sprinter forum where there are always horror stories.

I'd say part of the Sprinter's cost is dragging it to the dealer for "A" and "B" services every 10k miles.

The only real issue I read about with RVs other than electrical/ECM issues, specifically, are people who idle the Sprinter engine excessively (12+ hours.) The DPF gets plugged, and needs chucked/replaced to the tune of $3200 new, $1500 or so on eBay for a used one.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Any Sprinter complaints are way over blown, IMO. I can attest to that with 120,000 miles and knowing many Sprinter B owners personally, not just on the boards. I think, in reading all those complaints, is B usage is actually very easy on Sprinters than the work contractor delivery forces in urban areas. Even at that there seems to be less generalized complaints than Ford and Chevy and more focused complaints like that turbo resonator. OK, I'm knocking on wood now after saying that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #27
Platinum Member

mlts22: Good point about the relative cost of scheduled maintenance.
It's probably one of the main factors why few of the forum members have had any major issues or complaints about their Sprinter based Rvs. I think most of us tend to keep on top of it better than some commercial users might. I know I'm probably guilty more often of over doing the scheduled stuff.

Agree about the different types of usage, general public RV/consumer versus commercial applications. It affects all the major player's vehicles pretty much the same.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #28
Platinum Member

More good news for Fiat/Chrysler....
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/ ... PU20140317
They seem to have problems with their transmissions not shifting. One of the old complaint articles on the Ducato a few years ago was about not being able to shift them into reverse, iirc. This is an apples and oranges post in terms of comparing one model to another completely different one, but it doesn't help their overall QA image. Like GM's recent ignition issues, and now air bag problems, it lends itself to consumer doubt, IMO.