Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 PM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Spare tire bike rack

I have a rear hitch mount bike rack. I want to use the hitch for a carrier rack for lawn chairs, cooler and such. Was wonder if a spare tire type bike rack can be used with the hard spare tire cover. All the ones I have looked at have a bare tire showing. We have an Xplorer class B and rear door does not open so no door problem there.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I have a rear hitch mount bike rack. I want to use the hitch for a carrier rack for lawn chairs, cooler and such. Was wonder if a spare tire type bike rack can be used with the hard spare tire cover. All the ones I have looked at have a bare tire showing. We have an Xplorer class B and rear door does not open so no door problem there.
I don't have any direct experience, but it is hard to imagine that a tire bike rack would work on other than a bare tire as I think they need to clamp pretty tightly onto the tire and that wouldn't seem possible on a hard cover without messing it up pretty badly!

Just my thoughts - stand to be corrected for sure!

Brian.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #3

Default Bike rack

We have the spare tire mount on the back of our Roadtrek agile 4x4 and had the same dilema until I was looking in one of my jeep parts catalogs. I found a hitch mounted bike carrier that was designed for the Jeep Wrangler. It has enough clearance to fit past the factory spare tire carrier and swings down a lot farther then other much more expensive carriers to allow access to the rear doors, it is also very very stout, it hardly moves at all when travelling down the road, I'm sure you've seen carriers on other vehicles that look very flimsy to say the least, this is also made to go off road on jeeps so it's build very well. Quadratrek is the company, I have the 4 bike model and it was $167. , so much cheaper then Yakima, Thule etc.....
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote