Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #1

Default Spare Tire Carrier

I recently took delivery of a 2019 PW Plateau TS. It does not come with a spare tire. Only an inflation kit that includes a gel to plug the hole in the tire for a short distance to a repair facility. The problem is that I’ll be traveling through Canada and Alaska and a tire repair facility may hundreds of miles away and the gel, if it works at all, is not designed to hold for more than what PW says is about 40 miles.
So, I am interested in adding a spare tire carrier to my Sprinter van. I intend to keep the back doors free of obstruction to allow opening to access items and safety. A tire carrier mounted to a swing mounted hitch would be a solution, except that I also intend on mounting a storage container in that same hitch receiver.
So, I’ve found two alternative choices. And you may have thoughts on these choices or other recommendations.
• Mount the spare tire to the back-left door. See below for info.
https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...rier-for-2500/
Problems: The mounting of this carrier is permanent and will require holes in the door. The extra weight of the mount, tire, and wheel may over time damage the rear-left door hinge? Will require any hitch mounted unit to clear the depth of the mounted spare tire. Back left door may not be opened 180 degrees. Difficult to install.
Advantages: Usable with or without hitch in use for other units. Back doors work as normal.
• Use a hitch extension that includes a spare tire carrier.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/Ro...RM-195225.html
Problems: This extension again requires any additional hitch mounted units to clear the tire. While this works great with a straight hitch, when using a swing hitch to clear access to the back doors this combination has greater weight (Swing hitch + tire carrier + tire and wheel + storage unit) and therefore less storage weight capacity.
Advantages: Easy to install. Easy to swing away from doors to access rear of motorhome.
You comments and thoughts are welcome.
dorauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi Doug,

Some work, but:

I used a stowaway2 'frame only' to make carrier for 2 different electric bikes, 2 different platforms. I could have created something to carry the tire and bike, or tire and generator, or tire and .................

https://www.stowaway2.com/

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #3

Thank Bud. You seem to be much more mechanically minded than I. And I'm not aware of how I could use this swing hitch carrying a Stowaway cargo box and a spare tire carrier?
dorauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

I did not use the cargo box, just the 'frame only'. After that one would need to decide what they want to carry besides spare tire and then get started creating it.

Many options out there, others will reply. Have fun .........

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Lets Go Aero sells large cargo boxes. Here's one - https://letsgoaero.com/blackbox-slid...losed-carrier/ - or this one - https://letsgoaero.com/bigbox-slideo...losed-carrier/ - a spare tire might fit in it with some other gear (300 lbs Payload Capacity) ......
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:58 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I just got a Prime Design ladder to be mounted on the rear right door on our Sprinter door to carry 2 camping chairs and a small Magma BBQ. Ladder mount takes 300 lbs. static load which could be enough for a tire. Drilling is not required. I would check with manufacturer. Tire mount should be simple, a backplate and 3 through bolts. http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f6...rack-8953.html
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #7
Platinum Member

ake a look at aluminess.. They make a swing out arm for a spare tire. i know they make it for the chevy express, they probably also do for a sprinter. The chevy version is 995.
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
Platinum Member

995? Is that a model no.? Or price? Assuming model! Aluminess makes great stuff! Guess I'll Google it!
Would luv to have their bumpers- front & rear on our Roadtrek.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Price. $975 for Chevy version. $1200 for Sprinter.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Jon, thanks for clarification. That's a good value for a quality product. I plan to replace front bumper òn our Chevy R/T sometime. Had a goofball back into us last yr in Flagstaff.
Claimed didn't see our white 9ft high van. His ins.paid $370.
So we're about 1/3 there.
Regards from Prescott area.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist View Post
Jon, thanks for clarification. That's a good value for a quality product. I plan to replace front bumper òn our Chevy R/T sometime. Had a goofball back into us last yr in Flagstaff.
Claimed didn't see our white 9ft high van. His ins.paid $370.
So we're about 1/3 there.
Regards from Prescott area.
Greetings from the White Mountains. Literally, today.

It never amazes me what a person can fail to see when they're not looking! At least they stopped. I've been hit twice in a parking lot and they left both times. Since the factory bumpers are pretty much useless ornaments, it's good that their insurance is giving you a head start on something that's actually functional. Looks like it could take on a feral dog, coyote, or other smaller mammal without damage.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

We have had rain most of last night & today.
Snow in Bradsaw Mtns & top of Mingus. Currently 49*, so no snow along Hwy 69/169.
Talked with a grandson in So. Cal. Sunny & mid 70s. So, maybe some hope for us later this week.
We are getting anxious to take the Roadtrek out! Maybe Colo. River or Tucson in a couple weeks.
Happy trails. Ric.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Bronze Member

I have the same issue with my soon to be delivery TL. I hope someone has a solution. I've seen drivers door hinge units, but they cover the license plate. Ideas?
Dja06422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
Bronze Member

George, I have the same ladder that came with my RT SS Agile. I took it off to have better visibility and not have the backup camera only see the ladder (and the spare tire) but I like that I can put it back on when I need it. It's a great product and as you say, there is no drilling required. So I am another vote for this ladder even while mine is off at the moment. I believe my instructions say to not use it when the door is open for that reason -- not great for the hinges. I never found it necessary anyway. Ellen
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorauch View Post
I recently took delivery of a 2019 PW Plateau TS. It does not come with a spare tire. Only an inflation kit that includes a gel to plug the hole in the tire for a short distance to a repair facility. The problem is that I’ll be traveling through Canada and Alaska and a tire repair facility may hundreds of miles away and the gel, if it works at all, is not designed to hold for more than what PW says is about 40 miles.
So, I am interested in adding a spare tire carrier to my Sprinter van. I intend to keep the back doors free of obstruction to allow opening to access items and safety. A tire carrier mounted to a swing mounted hitch would be a solution, except that I also intend on mounting a storage container in that same hitch receiver.
So, I’ve found two alternative choices. And you may have thoughts on these choices or other recommendations.
• Mount the spare tire to the back-left door. See below for info.
https://www.sprinterstore.com/produc...rier-for-2500/
Problems: The mounting of this carrier is permanent and will require holes in the door. The extra weight of the mount, tire, and wheel may over time damage the rear-left door hinge? Will require any hitch mounted unit to clear the depth of the mounted spare tire. Back left door may not be opened 180 degrees. Difficult to install.
Advantages: Usable with or without hitch in use for other units. Back doors work as normal.
• Use a hitch extension that includes a spare tire carrier.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/Ro...RM-195225.html
Problems: This extension again requires any additional hitch mounted units to clear the tire. While this works great with a straight hitch, when using a swing hitch to clear access to the back doors this combination has greater weight (Swing hitch + tire carrier + tire and wheel + storage unit) and therefore less storage weight capacity.
Advantages: Easy to install. Easy to swing away from doors to access rear of motorhome.
You comments and thoughts are welcome.
Hi there, a prime design ladder and then a buddy welded a rectangular bracket to hang on a step with two wheel lugs below which go through the rim, sandwiching the tire to the ladder. Easy on and off and drove 6,000 pm with the tire in place. Door withstands it and had to tighten ladder mounts once only. Drove back to the Yukon last summer on the Stewart Cassiar etc. Not home currently but can send a picture if you contact me, cheers Roger rsmitch2@gmail.com
rsmitch2@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:00 AM   #16
Platinum Member

AZAdv: If you're going to the Colorado river, I suggest 2 places.

One is Palm Canyon on the Kofka Wildlife refuge. No hookups.

The other is Cibola Wildlife refuge (nearby) BLM land right across from the visitor center thru cattle grate. Also what the locals refer to as the hippie hole which is thru the town of Cibola right on the river. Also BLM no fees. Enjoy.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:06 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
George, I have the same ladder that came with my RT SS Agile. I took it off to have better visibility and not have the backup camera only see the ladder (and the spare tire) but I like that I can put it back on when I need it. It's a great product and as you say, there is no drilling required. So I am another vote for this ladder even while mine is off at the moment. I believe my instructions say to not use it when the door is open for that reason -- not great for the hinges. I never found it necessary anyway. Ellen
My plan is to mount the ladder on the right door, as per manual, and keep the left door window unobstructed. My Magma BBQ mount design is almost finished, it will allow us to use it in mounted position, the BBQ could be quickly removed by taking off a couple of thumb screws and ladder will still be usable.

To improve vision through left door window I am contemplating to use plastic a Fresnel lens, I used them on our Westfalias. They lost popularity, I don’t know why - https://www.google.com/search?q=rear...=2560&bih=1297
Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmitch2@gmail.com View Post
Hi there, a prime design ladder and then a buddy welded a rectangular bracket to hang on a step with two wheel lugs below which go through the rim, sandwiching the tire to the ladder. Easy on and off and drove 6,000 pm with the tire in place. Door withstands it and had to tighten ladder mounts once only. Drove back to the Yukon last summer on the Stewart Cassiar etc. Not home currently but can send a picture if you contact me, cheers Roger rsmitch2@gmail.com
Having some experience with 80/20 T-slotted profiles I am using it to design the BBQ mount. The 10 series 1" fits perfectly into inside of the ladder vertical bars. With little imagination a tire mount could be done using 80/20 stuff without welding or drilling of the ladder and being fully removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZR02156.JPG (208.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-18-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
AZAdv: If you're going to the Colorado river, I suggest 2 places.

One is Palm Canyon on the Kofka Wildlife refuge. No hookups.

The other is Cibola Wildlife refuge (nearby) BLM land right across from the visitor center thru cattle grate. Also what the locals refer to as the hippie hole which is thru the town of Cibola right on the river. Also BLM no fees. Enjoy.
Gallen: l know we are off topic; But, thnx for the info!
We've been to Palm Canyon. Enjoyed it, good hiking.
We've heard about "Cross Roads -BLM" on Calif. Side of river.
Maybe go there when snowbirds clear out.

@Jon; I sent P.M (or tried anyway)! Did it go thru?