Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sportsmobile and their updated website

Looks like SMB did a decent job in bringing their site up to date. As far as I know, they are the only "B" upfitter that works with five models of vans (Chevrolet Express, Ford Econoline, Ford Transit, RAM ProMaster, and the Sprinter.)

I am not affiliated with them, but when I stop by, I find their work as good if not better than other RV factories I've toured. The only real place I can compare to is Advanced RV, although this is like apples and oranges in a number of ways, since Advanced RV is generally focused on custom Sprinters and making "B"s, while Sportsmobile customizes/upfits a wide range of vans, be it business vehicles, "B"s, handicapped mobility. I've seen some one-offs which were interesting like a Sprinter with a 10kw Onan generator (yes, 10,000 watts... it was placed with a partition in the back for mobile power at a remote site.)

Price-wise, they are competitive with other "B" makers, although once you go for customizations, the sky is the limit.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sportsmobile and their updated website

Actually, Advanced RV is nothing like Sportsmobile. ARV builds only two sizes of Sprinters and has a set plan they have been willing to make modifications to. ARV also has a lot more leeway than other converters with their options and usually the skies the limit in regard to finishes and materials of floors, counters, walls, ceiling, curtains, seats, cabinets, cab dash trim, etc. No one does that including Sportsmobile. One thing most converters including Advanced RV do is, with some design discipline, work out all the details to a higher degree behind the finishes so to speak. Sportsmobile can't possibly manage that when they allow every person lay out a plan and pick equipment any way they like. Consequently a Sportsmobile finishes off looking more like a DIY effort. Of course, you can pretty much get the plan layout and equipment you want, good or bad, from Sportsmobile. That is different than anyone else but if you really analyze what the have you will find certain frustrating restrictions. Every company has a limit to what they can do. If you want totally unique and your own design you might have to go to some place like Morehead Design in North Carolina. Robert Morehead can start out with you with a completely blank sheet of paper.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Their new site is almost as bad as their old site. The thing they really need to update is their 80's looking van interiors.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman
Their new site is almost as bad as their old site. The thing they really need to update is their 80's looking van interiors.
Agree!
Their FB page has more appeal!
https://www.facebook.com/sportsmobile?fref=ts

And no examples of any ProMaster conversions.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote