Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Default Sprinter Awnings and tree limbs

I do a lot of driving on narrow state roads in the mountains of Southwest Virginia, Tennessee, and the North Carolina; frequently and especially after rain there are small tree limbs hanging over the edge of the road low enough to slide under the front of the awning; 99% of the time they can be avoided but not always; When leaving home heading south there is one road that has to be avoided after a rain and requires a 10 mile detour.

I've seem a couple of Sprinter based Class B's with a molded plastic or fiberglass extension on the front edge of the awning that would likely prevent limbs from going between the van body and the awning; I'm thinking something as simple as a piece of 3/4" flat bar aluminum as guide from the van body to the top edge of the awning might work (no drilling would be acceptable, had in mind attaching it with something like the 3M adhesive I've seem used to attach solar panels).

Just looking for opinions and ideas; even if the opinion is "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard"

2012 Pleasure Plateau
Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

That's a good idea. While I haven't ever had that problem, it's easy to imagine.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #3

At least one brand, and I've forgotten which, uses a specially molded (roughly) triangular shaped plastic fairing at the forward edge of the awning case to make it blend into the Sprinter body with a more finished look. I think they also use one at the rear. If someone could figure out how to get that part it would solve your problem. I would be interested in one just for the aesthetics. Your suggested solution should work as well. Let us know if you do your own fabrication. Anyone know which manufacturer uses that fairing?

Bryan
Old 06-20-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A triangular aluminum branch deflector is added on the awning on some expedition trucks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0DBB607C-7E0B-4351-8076-EB4542DF633C.jpg (122.6 KB, 36 views)
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I would be interested in something like this as well. I'm not worried about the height but I do have concerns about catching the awning as you say on overhanging trees.
Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Hodag2 View Post
At least one brand, and I've forgotten which, uses a specially molded (roughly) triangular shaped plastic fairing at the forward edge of the awning case to make it blend into the Sprinter body with a more finished look. I think they also use one at the rear. If someone could figure out how to get that part it would solve your problem. I would be interested in one just for the aesthetics. Your suggested solution should work as well. Let us know if you do your own fabrication. Anyone know which manufacturer uses that fairing?

Bryan
I started looking at various photos of Sprinter class B's for the piece you described; found them on some AirStream Interstates; it looks good but my awning is mounted several inches more forward than the Interstate so the piece likely would not fit even if I could get my hands on one; my first though was move my awning back but then the supports legs will not align with the brackets mounted on the side of the van.

Something like the triangle tree deflector in gremchugh's post might be fabricated and possibly fastened in the roof rail.

Still thinking.

Paul J
mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:05 AM   #7
Silver Member

Leisure Travel Vans had a streamlined front cover piece as an option when they used to make pure class B's. They looked very nice. Don't if if the part is still available, or if they sourced it from somewhere else.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote