Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 AM   #21
Platinum Member

I'm on my third van, a 2012 Mercedes Sprinter with 96,000 miles. All three were bought new. My first was a 1973 Dodge B300 with pop-top. My second was a 1999 Ford E350 used to tow a 1971 Airstream trailer. My Sprinter has had fewer problems than either of my two previous vans. It has also been cheaper to operate than the Ford. As others have mentioned a properly maintained Sprinter will do just fine. I have mine serviced by local Freightliner Sprinter dealer.

The Sprinter is roomier in the cab area and more comfortable driving than the Dodge or Ford. Both the current Promaster and Transit high top vans have service limitations as another member posted. Both the Promaster and Transit have EU roots like the Sprinter so not every dealer has the right mechanics or equipment.

The problem many have with their diesel Sprinters is related to the emission control systems required since 2010. This is a bit like the mess of vehicles in the mid-70s when the gas engine emission rules tighten and it to nearly a decade for the manufacturers to get it right.

Diesel in a B-van offers advantage of single fuel used for driving, heating the coach and providing hot water while camping. If I ever buy another van it will be an Advanced RV Sprinter diesel, eliminating propane and need for Onan generator.

I'm watching with interest as the next generation Sprinter is introduced this year. So far it looks like The new diesel engines with have improved emissions systems with better reliability.

The American market is demanding the return of the Sprinter gasoline engine. It sounds like it might happen for 2019. They were offered for a few years when Sprinters were sold by Dodge prior to 2010. But they didn't sell well at the time.

Complaints about diesels is understandable because the complex diesel emissions systems are problematic on Sprinters just as they are on Ford and Dodge diesel light trucks. Diesel complexities make sense if you need the power. For my van, weighing over 10,000 lbs, the diesel works just fine.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 02-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #22
Platinum Member

In regards to Sprinter diesel and Promaster. Promaster has some engine issues too, all complex mechanical do, they took minivan’s engine and transmission and placed it under the hood. Here is a copy of the post from the Sprinter forum from the shop owner in Denver. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...omaster+engine

And I am certain if you search deep enough you will find issues with Ford's EcoBoost as well.

In EU Fiat Ducato has 4 optional engines, nice mileage, seems as reasonably reliable. Please look at the pictures and find the gasoline powered one, good luck, not even one. The don’t even say diesel or gas or gasoline or petrol, just blank. It is simply assumed they are all diesel powered.

To get USA gas milege numbers from UK specs here is the calculator https://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-...gimperial.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (175.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Fiat Ducato.jpg (241.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg d2.jpg (147.4 KB, 8 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:28 AM   #23
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
In Europe where high roof vans are common the Fiat Decota is the most common RV van. The reason for the popularity of the Sprinter in the US is because it WAS the only high top van available.....I for one cannot wait to get rid of my diesel Sprinter.
Fiat Ducato.

I bought my Sprinter new in 2006. It has given me no problems requiring a mechanic's attention. I took it to the dealer on its first anniversary for the required maintenance work ( oil change etc.). I have done this work myself ever since, using only MB-approved fluids/filters etc.
BTW, https://sprinter-source.com has been an invaluable source of information on any sprinter-related issue.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Before I made the decision that my next rig would be a Promaster, I made some phone calls to service managers. The dealer in the area I visit often in ND works with conversions and has the proper lifts... as does the dealer just up the road where I currently live in MN... as does the dealer near the place I winter in AZ. (already way ahead of Sprinter)

I assume that in the coming years, there will be more Dodge dealers catching up... assuming that Fiat doesn't dump Chrysler like MB did.

But Promaster service availability is already way ahead of Sprinter... in the parts of the country where I spend most of my time... and only been here 2-3 years.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #25
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanasis View Post
Fiat Ducato.

I bought my Sprinter new in 2006. It has given me no problems requiring a mechanic's attention. I took it to the dealer on its first anniversary for the required maintenance work ( oil change etc.). I have done this work myself ever since, using only MB-approved fluids/filters etc.
BTW, https://sprinter-source.com has been an invaluable source of information on any sprinter-related issue.
Leave it to me to misspell a word that I copied and pasted

I'm glad you've had good luck with your diesel. Probably because you bought before the new emissions requirements. After my 1999 VW tdi I swore I would never buy a diesel again but I didn't listen because I bought a Sprinter in 2015. It has only been service by the dealer, has less than 30K miles, and has been in the shop over five times. It's a great rig when it runs and I think the shop finally fixed it but five or six tries is ridiculous.

This is just my experience but a lot of people have had similar experiences. I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette whenever I head out on a road trip. My shrink says I can stop the cycle whenever I want.

Jon
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:47 AM   #26
BBQ
Platinum Member

The challenge is in the finicky emission system.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In regards to Sprinter diesel and Promaster. Promaster has some engine issues too, all complex mechanical do, they took minivan’s engine and transmission and placed it under the hood. Here is a copy of the post from the Sprinter forum from the shop owner in Denver.
In all fairness, Dennis said later in that thread:

"Most issues are caused by the person employed to drive the van who doesn't give rip about it! Drive it to destruction is the name of the game---its not mine!" (Most PMs in the US are fleet vehicles.)

The issues he mentions are unfamiliar to those of us who have been on the PM forum since its inception.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
In all fairness, Dennis said later in that thread:

"Most issues are caused by the person employed to drive the van who doesn't give rip about it! Drive it to destruction is the name of the game---its not mine!" (Most PMs in the US are fleet vehicles.)

The issues he mentions are unfamiliar to those of us who have been on the PM forum since its inception.
Dennis contributes a lot to the Sprinter Forum with his know-how, no bias, and he is a straight shooter. He often writes that many problems with Sprinters are due to owner neglect, not following maintenance routine or not approved changes. His perspective is from the repair shop side and he is well connected in that community, different than users’ forum.

Sprinter had, has, and will have issues, so the Fiat, so the Ford. Since the purchase of the Sprinter in 2013 I had one problem and it was self-induced, I added an oil pan electric heating pad for cold days, Sprinter got confused why oil was warmer than coolant and gave me a middle warning light. Otherwise it is flawless, and I hope it will stay that way.

Would I purchase Promaster, absolutely, in fact this was my plan because of the width but Chrysler drag their feet so I got Sprinter.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I also think they are both fine. My son just bought a 2017 Sprinter Crew 170". He's driving it from SF to Oklahoma in March for his mama to do some upfitting.
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote