Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
It is getting increasingly hard to understand what you gain by constantly telling us how great everything you own is, while willfully rejecting any information from others that happens to conflict with your preconceptions.
Totally agree. A lot of people come to this forum for complete and honest real world experience with these vans and blowing smoke up everyone's a$$ about how 'perfect' everything is helps no one. I want to know the hard facts about living with a heavily used van over the long term, so I can make the best purchase decision for my needs.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:04 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Default Have you ever driven a Sprinter.... even for a test drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"the performance and economy of the diesel is really fantastic"

BS, the sprinter diesel costs more, period. The performance suffers next to every other van in a drag race, entering an interstate,........... and top speed? (all 3 vans, I'm not sure).

Bud
Probably not? Maybe I'm wrong?

Drag race? Are you serious? No one does that....

I can tell you that the Sprinters are very capable climbing mountain passes.... easily..... while gasoline engines have to be really at high RPMS..... there's a difference... And, it's pretty quiet doing that.

Yeah, it costs more to purchase.... that's obvious.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Default I understand,..

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I would do that in a heartbeat, except for the very substantial investment of time and money in our highly-customized coach and its accompanying systems. Our rig is nearly perfect for our needs. Very frankly, though, our inability to count on the chassis' reliability is casting an increasing pall on every trip. I am sorry if my saying this makes you feel bad, but prospective buyers need to hear the realities of Sprinter ownership.
I also have a large investment in my vehicle and the only way to realize a significant return is to use it and drive it. I don't worry or feel bad about my vehicle like you apparently do... what a shame....

If something happens I'll deal with it. Just like all the other unplanned things in life....

When we're done enjoying the vehicle.. we'll sell it.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Add another Texas shop to this list:

I just had Freightliner of Austin (mechanic Daylon Oliver) replace my engine with a MB-branded, warranteed complete engine (long block) - not a junkyard swap. This after one of my pistons split, and scored the cylinder wall to the point where the original could not be salvaged (it had about 72,000 miles on it).

The job required one month plus one day, which is actually really fast, because T1N Sprinter engines have to be made to order - they are not sitting on shelves waiting to be sold (at least, not the ones with 3-year, 36,000-mile MB warranties on them).

There were a couple of minor hiccups, which I expected on a job this large. Those issues were taken care of promptly.

For instance, the new engine was shipped from the manufacturer with the wrong dipstick in it. That caused the mechanic to initially put the wrong amount of oil in it (overfilled), which led to overheating. As soon as the source of the problem was discovered, the engine began behaving in a way that was completely normal.

I just had this work done and repatriated my van to Houston yesterday, so I hesitate to give a ringing endorsement until the thing is fully tested. But so far I have no complaints with this shop.

Oh, and because I have a working relationship with my local (League City TX) MB shop, I was able to take Freightliner's cost proposal to them for review. They recommended that I proceed on the job with Freightliner, because they (MB) could not do better on the price, and in fact they would likely do much worse.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #25
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Probably not? Maybe I'm wrong?

Drag race? Are you serious? No one does that....

I can tell you that the Sprinters are very capable climbing mountain passes.... easily..... while gasoline engines have to be really at high RPMS..... there's a difference... And, it's pretty quiet doing that.

Yeah, it costs more to purchase.... that's obvious.
Your memory??

Recall that booster's Express Van has more hp at less than 3000 rpm than any sprinter, even with new sprinter engines, onans, ...............

Yes, all 3 of the other vans have more power, thrust, and will walk off and leave a sprinter entering an uphill entrance to an interstate hwy at whatever speed.

And economical? The total cost is more with a sprinter, fact.

"blowing smoke up everyone's a$$" Yes, it's gets old - from a 24 hour onan No diagnosis to sprinters are powerful and economical to............Never Ending.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
local, repairs, service, sprinter