Old 06-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #1

Default Sprinter repair recommendations

Hi All,
When traveling, I'm concerned about getting competent, honest service in case my Roadtrek Adventurous 2008 needs repair. We can help each other out by referring others to our local shops. It would be great to travel with a list of reliable vendors.
I'll start this out by recommending "Project 12" in Novato, CA (415) 879-5182. Mark Washington is a prince. He is extremely knowledgeable, experienced, and fair.
Hope this helps all of us. Please post your local shops.
Thanks -David

david@davidfischer.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Not local to me, but helped me out in a pinch last year as I was en route from Houston to Nova Scotia, and has been my consulting mechanic ever since:

Joel Sell, Million Mile Sprinter in Philadelphia. As far as I can tell, he is one of the top T1N Sprinter experts in the country.

His cohorts are also top notch - his other Sprinter allies in other states. I don't know who they are, but their Instagram posts often riff.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Good idea...an online database system would be great, don't know how someone do that?

My mechanic in Los Angeles has been taking care of all my vehicles for 20 years.... once you've found a really honest person...you don't need to shop this out...

AH Automotive, Mission Hills, call David @ 818-895-7425

Call ahead.,it's a small shop and he gets busy.

You're going to save money over the dealership and you will not be disappointed by his service.

As for "incidents" on the road.... my best advice is get your vehicle throughly checked out just before you leave.... things still happen... especially on a vehicle as complex as an RV...RV can certainly mean "ruined vacation"....

Listen, we've had all sorts of experiences, good and bad, with our trips. Being proactive is the best way to avoid any failures, but, it can happen with either the vehicle or the "house"... Try to remember that the mishaps are the punctuation points of your trip and you're likely to remember those and they will be the source of endless stories you'll be telling people later.

Good luck.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
My mechanic in Los Angeles has been taking care of all my vehicles for 20 years.... once you've found a really honest person...you don't need to shop this out....
Is this the same "trusted mechanic" who tells you to do oil changes twice as often as the manufacturer recommends, and who says to do transmission services every other oil change? If so, others might want to do their own evaluation of the "really honest" part.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default NO..... that was the Mercedes Benz dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Is this the same "trusted mechanic" who tells you to do oil changes twice as often as the manufacturer recommends, and who says to do transmission services every other oil change? If so, others might want to do their own evaluation of the "really honest" part.
Do you see how fast I answered your question?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Do you see how fast I answered your question?
Context:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...html#post78603
Old 06-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Avanti....see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Thanks.

Let me clarify this for you...

On oil changes, every year or 10,000 miles for my 2011.

On transmission, once every 20,000 miles..

Doesn't matter what you do.... Your vehicle is a newer model.. .

And, what I decide has absolutely nothing to do with my mechanic ..
Old 06-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

Default Columbus/Dayton (Ohio)

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy Sprinter mechanic in the Dayton/Columbus (Ohio) area? Much appreciated!
PPPPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Driving a Sprinter Diesel with blu-tek is like playing Russian Roulette. My 2013 has been less than reliable on long trips with 4 instances of "ten starts left" on 8 trips (over 4000 miles). Finding a Sprinter dealer in an emergency can be challenging....Finding a Sprinter dealer that can see you in less than 2 weeks is more of a challenge! Try arriving in the UP of Michigan around Mackinac Island and getting "ten starts left" on a Friday. Your choices are Minneapolis or Green Bay! I have been on 8 trips and have visited over 8 different dealerships while on "vacation". Always emissions issues and usually NOx sensors. With blu-tek, it's not a question of IF; but, when will you need a repair place....IMO. Hopefully your 2008 is lacking this technology. If you come to the East....Sun Motors in PA. Once, we booked Sprinter appointments in 6 States out west, as a precaution along with our itinerary of campsites. Used 2 of them and canceled 4. Only time we had piece of mind.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default What's your DEF usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Driving a Sprinter Diesel with blu-tek is like playing Russian Roulette. My 2013 has been less than reliable on long trips with 4 instances of "ten starts left" on 8 trips (over 4000 miles). Finding a Sprinter dealer in an emergency can be challenging....Finding a Sprinter dealer that can see you in less than 2 weeks is more of a challenge! Try arriving in the UP of Michigan around Mackinac Island and getting "ten starts left" on a Friday. Your choices are Minneapolis or Green Bay! I have been on 8 trips and have visited over 8 different dealerships while on "vacation". Always emissions issues and usually NOx sensors. With blu-tek, it's not a question of IF; but, when will you need a repair place....IMO. Hopefully your 2008 is lacking this technology. If you come to the East....Sun Motors in PA. Once, we booked Sprinter appointments in 6 States out west, as a precaution along with our itinerary of campsites. Used 2 of them and canceled 4. Only time we had piece of mind.
Are you using an excessive amount of DEF?

We have a 2012 RS....so, it's really a 2011 Mercedes....it's very likely that yours is a 2012 Mercedes Benz Sprinter and you have the 3 litre V6?

In December 2017 with only 39,000 miles, my Sprinter emissions system failed and Mercedes Benz dealership replaced the entire system and updated my software. . Since then the DEF fluid consumption is about one quart every 1,000 miles.... A real big difference from before.

I would advise you to get in touch with Mercedes Benz as soon as possible.... there's a federal government warranty on the emissions system... but don't wait....it's 7 or 8 years or 80,000 miles.... good luck.

Tags
local, repairs, service, sprinter