Old 07-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sprinter TPMS?

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether or not TPMS comes standard with a recent Sprinter 3500 (duals.)?

The brochure I have from PW indicates that it is not provided - I thought perhaps it was an MB option that PW decided not to buy - seems a bit strange, especially when new models do not come with a spare!

We have a 2019 on order and I do have TPMS equipt I kept when selling out trailer - the sensors are the type that just screw on and have replaceable batteries although I imagine I might have to have the MB valves stems changed if they are rubber (I will have Alcoa wheels, but I think teh inner duals are likely steel wheels.

When I downloaded a recent MB manual though to start becoming failiar, there is a section on TPMS and it does not refer to it as optional. I would have thought it should be standard on most vehicles these days,

As well, when I read the MB manual, comments in the description are such that I think what they may provided is not a true TPMS in that it does not actually measure pressure but rather, using signals from the ABS equipment, detects that one wheel is turning with a smaller effective radius and si it assumes one wheel is going flat. I think that is what some folk call a TPLS (Tire pressure leakage system, sort of a poor man's TPMS!)

I don't really see how that system could work on a vehicle with duals.

Anyway, I a confused and will likely just have to wait to see what we get! I think our chassis will be either a 2107 or 2018.

At least I do have my aftermarket equipment anyway and certainly want some form of monitoring especially with no spare on board!

Any info?

Thanks ........ Brian.

Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

In the US, TPMS is required on vehicles that are UNDER 10,000 lbs GVWR. Our Transit manual provided TPMS information, but there is no TPMS on our van since the GVWR on the 350HD dually is 10,360 lbs. The rest of the Transit family has it standard.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Correct. Sprinter 2500s have (some kind of) TMPS, because they are required to. 3500s have none, because they aren't forced to provide them. This sucks, because such a system is far more important on a dually-equipped vehicle. I wouldn't even consider driving with duallies without a good TPMS.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Correct. Sprinter 2500s have (some kind of) TMPS, because they are required to. 3500s have none, because they aren't forced to provide them. This sucks, because such a system is far more important on a dually-equipped vehicle. I wouldn't even consider driving with duallies without a good TPMS.
Thanks guys for the feedback - that clears it up for me though I can't understand why anyone would think that TPMS is less important with a heavier vehicle!

As well, you'd think a company like MB would install TPMS anyway! Seems not!

I certainly agree on the value of a TPMS system and will be installing the one I have that has served me well for years with our trailer.

I will just need to sort out what I have to do to buy and install the best valve stems for the job.

I did ask the dealer if he could have PW fit them when building our van but the response was that they are so busy these days that they don't really get into this sort of modification.

I imagine I can get a tire shop to make the installation easily enough but perhaps I will need to provide the new stems.

Brian.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

TPMS is not a luxury.
It is readily available and affordable. And it is a mandatory equipment on most of the light vehicles. How can it be a luxury?

There is a difference between "I don't trust it" and "it is a luxury".

It is ok if you do not trust it and don't want it. I dig that.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The USA DoT has been trying for years to get TPMS requirement applied to all road vehicles. Naturally the trucking lobby is fighting it. But it sure might lessen all the truck tire pieces (gators) you see on all the highways.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

TPMS is not a luxury.
It is readily available and affordable. And it is a mandatory equipment on most of the light vehicles. How can it be a luxury?

There is a difference between "I don't trust it" and "it is a luxury".

It is ok if you do not trust it and don't want it. I dig that.

I certainly feel it is a wise investment. When I used to spend time on the Airstream owners forum there were two camps, those who were for it and those who thought they'd rather send their money on good tires.

I think the answer is to do both.

I was never really concerned about losing control of the trailer if we had a blowout as it had two axles and we towed with a large diesel truck. In fact teh Airstream owners manual even suggested that if you get a flat at an unsafe place you can continue on three wheels at reduced speed until you get to a safer spot.

My concern is was the damage that a tire flying apart could do to the trailer body - damaging a large riveted panel that runs over half the length of the trailer could result in a $5-10K repair bill.

Having the GPS never stopped me from regular manual checking of pressures and a walk around at very stop we made en route.

But you can pick up at nail at any point in your journey and from what I hear in many instances it is tires running at low pressure and causing excessive heat is often the cause of a subsequent complete failure.

No,It wont catch everything, but why wouldn't you want to do all you reasonably could to make your travels as safe, and trouble free as you can?

I also believe in changing tires in a timely manner ever if they still look good!

Not carrying a spare with our new RV will make me all the more vigilant I expect!

(It gives me something to do if the road is a bit boring too - I would often cycle through the wheels on the monitor just to verify pressures and temps all looked as they should!)

I'm a little disappointed to learn that MB have choses to cheap out on this ( and, being so, that PW didn't take it upon themselves to add a TPMS) but at least I do already have a setup that I will be installing as soon as I can once we get the van!

Brian.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Silver Member

I too have a 3500 without tpms. There is no factory/dealer option that will integrate with the MB display. I'd be interested in how other people have added tpms and what type of display they've used. I really don't want to clutter up the dash with another display but I'm tired of crawling around in the dirt to get a good reading on those dually stems. I plan to add tpms when current tires need replacing (OEM Conti's have 34K and still plenty of tread.).
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
I too have a 3500 without tpms. There is no factory/dealer option that will integrate with the MB display. I'd be interested in how other people have added tpms and what type of display they've used. I really don't want to clutter up the dash with another display but I'm tired of crawling around in the dirt to get a good reading on those dually stems. I plan to add tpms when current tires need replacing (OEM Conti's have 34K and still plenty of tread.).
Each aftermarket TMPS will come with its own display. They are fairly small and unobtrusive (although not overly convenient to use). I have a TST-507 and mount its display up near the rear view mirror. Out of the way and easy to read.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:32 PM   #10

My 2011 Pleasure Way Plateau did not have TPMS; install a TireMinder (1A1 I think); $450 for display and 6 sensors and a booster; can be operated with up to 22 sensors; display temperature and pressure

Paul

mck150stone is offline   Reply With Quote