Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Default Starting problem

I recently purchased a 1988 Xplorer Model 228 and from one day to the next it would not start. The broker narrowed the initial problem down to a ground wire. Started fine the next day when I took ownership and drove it home. Two days later it would not start again, it turns over and is getting gas but will not start. I was wondering if perhaps this still may have something to do with the ground wire or something else. My son will be doing all the engine work provided I can locate an engine manual. Have the original owners manual but it does not go into the engine details. Anyoen have any suggestions as to where to start to look? For both???
Crazynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Starting problem

Dodge engine?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

This link describes a similar problem:
http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/4qff1-1 ... arked.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Any other symptoms? Does it happen when it's dry as well as damp (when raining or afterwards)?
Could be it needs new plug wires or they're just damp after it rains. You could try spraying the wires
with a drying agent like WD40 or some other drying agent you can usually get at an auto parts place.
If the wires look worn, might be worth replacing them. They can appear to be electrically conductive
when checked with a meter, but may be leaking voltage when you try to start the beast.
Another possible is does it happen when the engine is cold, or after it's been running a while and
warmed up? If it's the latter, check that the battery ground wire to the starter motor( you may have
to get down under the engine to reach it) isn't loosening after the starter motor casing heats and
cools a few times. I had a 1970s Ford that had that problem. Started fine when cold, but if I turned
it off after heating it up, sometimes the ground wire loosened and it wouldn't start. If it is that, you
can add a locking nut to the system to help prevent loosening after heat/cold cycles.

I'm no mechanic, just some anecdotal experiences with (Ford) vehicles not starting. May apply, may not.
Good luck.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

Your initial no start problem was it cranking then? What ground wire? Is it getting spark? Pull a sparkplug and hold it against the engine with a screwdriver while cranking it to see if it has spark.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
Platinum Member

How old is that alternator? Safe travels.