Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Storage between front seats???

I have a large area between the two front seats where I would like to put additional storage. It can't be permanent because it would block getting to the engine. It's covered with carpet right now.

With all the good, inventive brains out there, can someone tell me how I could put (perhaps just a plastic container) there, secure it, but be able to remove it for access to the engine?
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Storage between front seats???

Since I often need to move from driver seat to the kitchen or bath, I wouldn't put too much between front seats. I put a "deep" clear plastic floor mat there in case I spill anything,it won't get on carpet. Also keeps little things I might set there from sliding/rolling around.
If you travel alone , put some stacked storage in passenger footwell? If your doghouse doesn't have storage, most auto supply places sell "consoles" you could attach?
shezonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We use a couple of Rubbermaid stackable plastic drawers between the front seats. I built a wooden base for them as an attachment point for the bungee cords that hold the unit in place while driving. 6500 miles and they haven't budged yet! But they can still come out when needed.

Dan F.
2008 RSA
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can do.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezonit
Since I often need to move from driver seat to the kitchen or bath, I wouldn't put too much between front seats.
Thanks for the chuckle. When I first read your comment, I thought "I wonder if she parks it first?" or is she
just extremely quick and nimble???
Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Gold Member

We have 2 stackable plastic drawer type bins between the front seats. don't have them anchored down, and they stay in place just fine. Very easy to move when we want to turn the front seat.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Yes, I usually stop and park before using the bathroom...... :>)
So, seems everyone wants 2 extra drawers..... what have I not packed yet that needs 2 more drawers?
Tools/ hardware? Like the WD-40, small tool kit, qt of oil, etc. Stuff you need to maintain the van?
OR is it the dishes/ pots and pans and this unit becomes the "buffet" for the dining area when seat is turned?
***What about using a full size cooler here-- extra space and easy to slide out of way? Use as a "coffee table" with the chairs turned?

Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how to use the most -of- the- time wasted space in the tiny bathroom- about 10" x 30" space between toilet and outside wall. I want to store something there, but has to be easily moved to use the toilet. A duffle bag of same size- use for lightweight stuff: tp, towels,etc? Has to flick out of the way easily........

I'm just thinking out loud. I have to pack , but it's been 14 degrees out. Time to test the furnace?
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I've seen some folks add a hook up high on the inside of the bathroom door (do you have a swing door?)
to hang stuff like clothes or a bag, so "what ever" clears the top of the toilet when you close the door.
Maybe that would work?
I'm (now) of the mind that if you have to start adding things to increase your storage space,
you're probably bringing too much stuff with you.

What did you finally do about hauling your 2 wheeler?
Just being nosey.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Re: Storage and stuff

yes, I do have a swinging door on bathroom. It wouldn't open all the way until I had a corner trimmed off top edge, so it can swing all the way open to the bed. I can see hanging something VERY LIGHT on it,like microfiber towels, but the hinges aren't that big, nor do I trust what they are screwed into.... I think I'll mostly keep stuff off the door.

As for the amount of stuff, I keep reminding myself, I have done this trip three times ON A MOTORCYCLE , so I do know how to travel with very little. But I'm staying longer, need 2 seasons worth of clothes, have a kitchen, etc.
Yes, stuff expands to fill the space allotted, and then some.

As for hauling the bike, I gave up trying to sort it out and am borrowing a small flatbed trailer to haul bike. After this trip/ time, I'll know 1) am I keeping the van? 2) was trailering so bad? 3) do I want an open or closed trailer for future trips?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
So, seems everyone wants 2 extra drawers..... what have I not packed yet that needs 2 more drawers?
Tools/ hardware? Like the WD-40, small tool kit, qt of oil, etc. Stuff you need to maintain the van?
Ours is the place for the things you might need while driving: maps, extra music CDs, camera, sunscreen, various meds, pen and paper, cough drops, etc. But there are two of us, so co-pilot is able to rummage for goodies while driver keeps on keeping on.
Quote:
***What about using a full size cooler here-- extra space and easy to slide out of way? Use as a "coffee table" with the chairs turned?
Hard to turn the chairs with something in the middle.
Quote:
I have to pack , but it's been 14 degrees out. Time to test the furnace?
Oops... time to test the furnace was before it got to 14 degrees. I found that out last night trying to put a cover on the RSA in 25 degrees with with a 20 mph wind.
As far as Mike's
Quote:
if you have to start adding things to increase your storage space,
you're probably bringing too much stuff
that battle was over before it began.

Dan F.
arrveedogz is offline   Reply With Quote