Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Strange Narrow German Van

It was rhetorical. However I appreciate your input.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
The microwave convection oven option is, and has mostly always been, a space saving compromise in smaller class B vans. If the space were there, the conversion companies would probably add a conventional oven with their gas cook top options to create a kitchen environment more like that which we enjoy at home. If convection microwave options were really better than conventional ovens the larger motorhome builders would only include them, and not bother with the larger conventional gas ovens. There must be a demand, o
r they wouldn't bother. Ask yourself, what do you have at home?
If the space was there in a Class B they would all add luxurious bath tubs, walk in closets, walk around king size beds, 13 CF refrigerators, 4 burner stoves 55" TVs and full lazy boy recliner chairs like you can find in some Class As.

BTW, my home is 100% electric, no gas or oil whatsoever, and one large solar panel away from being a zero energy (from utility companies) home. I have a double electric oven with convection and broiling options. I don't think there is much advantage to gas ovens. People can argue cooktops easier but even there I am becoming a convert to electric induction cooktops. They are kind of amazing in what they can do with precise temperature and fast cooking that standard electric coils cannot equal.
My pont had nothing to do with gas versus electric as the oven's heat source. Nor was it about all the class A amenities which are typically excluded from class B builds. It was that at least one converter decided, probably based on customer demand, that a conventional oven would be a desirable feature, and found a way to include it as demonstrated earlier in the thread. Just because you don't want or have a particular feature or amenity, doesn't mean it's a bad option, or that others might not like something a little different.
Mike,

With the fear of riling up someone in mentioning one more time about Advanced RV there is a unit being built with built in gas burners and oven complete with a range hood that exhausts directly to the outside. If you want one you can get one in a B. The customer happens to be a serious cook. But that one that was shown in the video was a tad overkill in a small B, IMO for a mass market for mainly one or two people on the move. Those Breville like ovens Viperml mentioned are very popular with the many people we socialize and rally with in the B crowd. We don't have one. We generally don't cook inside our B unless forced to by weather. Our Coleman propane grill we used outside was essentially a duplicate of the 2-burner propane cooktop built in in our former GWVan Legend. We opted for the electric induction cooktop we use either inside or outside now. You could do the same with those portable ovens.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #23
Platinum Member

When I discussed the automatic side door with Mike N. of ARV, he said that the mechanism is on the inside and gobbles up a lot of storage space. So I went for the space rather than the convenience. But I got the impression that ARV would order that option from MB if the client wanted it. We did not explore any issues around maintenance/repair.