Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default SXSW is in town... front hitch on Sprinter?

Yep, its Austin, and SXSW, a music festival which turns the entire city into a parking lot for three weeks is starting today.

While driving to work, I saw a class "B" (Airstream Grand Tour model) that was equipped for the 90 degree/100% relative humidity weather happening these next weeks.

The "B" had a front hitch rack, with a Honda eu7000i watt inverter generator on it, and at least two five gallon gas cans. Further looking makes it appear to be an Aluminess bumper with the hitch option.

I'd think something like that would be damaging, as it seems to block front airflow and cause the radiator/trans cooler to overheat. However, if this could be done, it looks like an interesting mod, just for adding additional storage. Wonder if it could be done, as it would add useful space for a long trip.

Anyone see this done with a "B" before?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I remember someone on the forum was talking about it previously.

As a note I've seen tons of trucks with a front hitch. These are usually used for moving trailers or boats. I've never seen a truck with a front hitch actually carrying anything up front.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

For some reason, having 5+ gallons of gas in plastic cans on the front bumper sounds like a really bad idea............
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Saw a food truck using a front hitch with a mounted generator earlier this week. Seems like a good setup for certain use cases and a bad setup for other cases. Can't say I would condone OR condemn it outright.

This has been "Straylight Is Completely Neutral About a Concept," tune in next week for more hard-hitting commentary and opinion, folks
Straylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Seems ridiculous to me. Why not just run the onboard generator? Under load, the Honda is nearly as loud, not to mention the sound of the AC unit.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:39 AM   #6
Platinum Member

This is my set up...
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Saw one of these pumping trucks on my drive today. That seems to works OK as I see them often - so don't know why something on a front hitch on a Sprinter would be a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (225.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #8
Platinum Member

SXSW is an odd place. I personally run far away from it, just like how New Orleans residents head for Disney World or other places to get out of town when Mardi Gras hits their neck of the woods.

I am pretty sure the reason why the eu7000i was in use was because the Texas heat (it was actually 90 degrees where I was) requires running the A/C from 9-10 in the morning to 6-7 at night... and a LP gas tank isn't going to make it over a weekend.

Was an interesting setup.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote