Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 AM   #21
Site Team

Default Re: Tall Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy
If they use an underfloor AC, they could use the space above the cabinets for ducting the AC and could leave the aisle at its taller height.
That would be da bomb. (I'm 6'3”)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:27 AM   #22
Platinum Member

If the Super Roof is mainly fiberglass, maybe they could mount antennas inside the area above the cab? That area would probably be far enough away from the steel ribs so that they wouldn't cause interference.

P.S. Avanti, you're about the same height as Mike Neundorfer who runs Advanced-RV. I'd bet that they use the Super Roof to increase the aisle height before anyone else.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Keep this all in perspective on B height. Even if a converter figures out how to put a rooftop air conditioner on the overall roof height will still be less than those so called B+ units from LTV and P-W.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Old 02-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
Platinum Member

SiennaGuy - Davydd was at ARV when he did the original post. It looks like ARV is already working on it!!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:40 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Great! I look forward to seeing what they do.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I suppose if one is over 6ft 2 ins a high roof would be nice. I am 6ft1inch and I do fine in my old 07 PW. I like the steel body so I am a little reluctant to upgrade my unit for what my wife wants: a C class of 22 to 24 ft with fiberglas ie a PW Pursuit for example, which is a very high quality unit. With the cost of diesel being higher now, I am leaning to going back to a gas unit because the difference isn't worth the extra cost of a diesel.
I was under the impression Davydd's Alvar was standard height. I missed the point it is on extended 24 ft model(??) as he had mentioned before that 22ft9ins was good height for negotiating parking lots etc and I agree with that which is why the Pursuit is on my short list. One other point noted by another contributor: where do you hang the awning? I suppose at the same height as any Sprinter!
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I got a look at a super tall Sprinter with the fiberglass roof and structural ribs. Here is a view next to a regular tall Sprinter.

Here I am reaching for the ceiling making it about 7 feet high. The sliding door is the same and the bulkhead at the cab gives you a clue as to how much taller.

Hey Davydd!

Is this something that can still be done?
I’m just starting on my Van journey, and I’m 6”6’. Is there a shop/company that’s still does this extension? I’d be interested to learn more even if I have to attempt to build it myself.

Thanks!
sreid1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:50 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Advanced RV was the only Class B upfitter to build with the tall Sprinter and they had to do a lot of reinforcing modification. Unfortunately, MB quit importing them to America (I don’t know if they are even still making them) and the American plant isn’t. Occasionally ARV gets some of them back, refurbishes them and sells them. You can go on their website, Advanced-rv.com and see a few in their gallery page and occasionally on their used page when they have them to sell. You won’t find many ARVs on the used market as they have taken back every Class B they’ve built except one last I checked.

I forget how tall the insides is but I am 5-9” and have my hand extended overhead and barely touch the ceiling as you can see in the photo.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:57 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Someone should figure out how to drive the existing dash A/C with a 12V motor. If it has a clutch, what keeps another motor from driving the compressor?

Then we wouldn't need two A/C units in a class B. And there would be less weight, more room for solar, and we wouldn't hit so many trees.

And on a different issue, fiberglass can be very, very strong, like in boat hull construction. But there's the weight issue again. Still, it didn't keep PleasureWay from putting AC on the roof in the 1990s.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote