Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
I'm confused avanti, probably because of inattention, sorry.

Can you imagine using a cell phone booster With your version jet pack?

Thanks.

Bud
Sure. That's what I did until I discovered how much better MiMo is.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:09 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Slow learner here...

If I get and install the AntennaPlus AP-CC-M-SCSC-WH and set my phone up to be a wifi hotspot (done that before and it allows me to get internet on my computer), then I will be able to get a better wifi signal than with the phone alone, correct?

There are a couple of wires coming out of the antenna - where do they go if I'm not hooking up to a modem or router? perhaps a better question is how do I get it to my phone?

I'm on T-Mobile and we tried their SyncUp Drive, which not only didn't work, but we had to pay for an extra phone line in order to use it.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Slow learner here...

If I get and install the AntennaPlus AP-CC-M-SCSC-WH and set my phone up to be a wifi hotspot (done that before and it allows me to get internet on my computer), then I will be able to get a better wifi signal than with the phone alone, correct?

There are a couple of wires coming out of the antenna - where do they go if I'm not hooking up to a modem or router? perhaps a better question is how do I get it to my phone?

I'm on T-Mobile and we tried their SyncUp Drive, which not only didn't work, but we had to pay for an extra phone line in order to use it.
No, you can't do MiMo with a phone, you need a mobile hotspot like the Jetpack AC791L. And, yes, you need to add it to your data plan (For Verizon, it is $10/month extra). The antenna wires plug into the Jetpack. But, as I said, you can set your phone to place calls via wifi, so your phone can still benefit from such a setup.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Here is the Technomadia review of the MIMO unit that I bought, the one that was later discontinued for reasons nobody understands. It shows photographs of the set-up. This was a rare case where Technomadia actually published content that they normally keep behind their paywall. I had a full membership with them for about a year, and they went into greater depth of description behind their wall, but basically they extolled the virtues of this thing all the way around.

I have a three antenna-like devices: the weBoost with its thumb-sized OEM "stubby", the MIMO that mates directly to the Netgear air card for which it was designed, and a high-gain shark's fin that I can connect to the weBoost instead of the stubby. Last summer when I was off-grid for an extended period, I experimented with all three. All produced different results but none could get me a reliable 4G or LTE signal. The weBoost working alone with its stubby antenna did better than it did with the directional shark's fin, which also makes no sense on its face, but an unusually large number of variables were involved here. I was in a sparsely-populated area of Canada where the cellular system is patched together with Kleenex and spit (PM me if you would like a link to an op-ed I published in the regional newspaper regarding it). The Netgear air card clearly revealed as much (it logs a great deal of technical information and I have a bunch of screenshots showing what signal it was pulling at any given moment). weBoost plus stubby could at least get me something akin to a weak 3G part of the time.

I didn't have an ideal mast for the shark's fin, and that was part of the problem, I think. I've been looking for a good telescoping mast for which my husband can weld a receiver onto the custom hitch carrier we made, but I haven't found one yet. Those things get really expensive really fast, as they are used in professional broadcasting and military contexts.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Here is the Technomadia review of the MIMO unit that I bought, the one that was later discontinued for reasons nobody understands. It shows photographs of the set-up. This was a rare case where Technomadia actually published content that they normally keep behind their paywall. I had a full membership with them for about a year, and they went into greater depth of description behind their wall, but basically they extolled the virtues of this thing all the way around.

I have a three antenna-like devices: the weBoost with its thumb-sized OEM "stubby", the MIMO that mates directly to the Netgear air card for which it was designed, and a high-gain shark's fin that I can connect to the weBoost instead of the stubby. Last summer when I was off-grid for an extended period, I experimented with all three. All produced different results but none could get me a reliable 4G or LTE signal. The weBoost working alone with its stubby antenna did better than it did with the directional shark's fin, which also makes no sense on its face, but an unusually large number of variables were involved here. I was in a sparsely-populated area of Canada where the cellular system is patched together with Kleenex and spit (PM me if you would like a link to an op-ed I published in the regional newspaper regarding it). The Netgear air card clearly revealed as much (it logs a great deal of technical information and I have a bunch of screenshots showing what signal it was pulling at any given moment). weBoost plus stubby could at least get me something akin to a weak 3G part of the time.

I didn't have an ideal mast for the shark's fin, and that was part of the problem, I think. I've been looking for a good telescoping mast for which my husband can weld a receiver onto the custom hitch carrier we made, but I haven't found one yet. Those things get really expensive really fast, as they are used in professional broadcasting and military contexts.
Couple of things:

1) I figured that the Netgear 6000450 was what you were talking about. It is not in the same league as a good roof-mount MiMo. That same antenna was initially offered as an accessory by Verizon to the Jetpack. They also had a cradle. As you say, all mysteriously disappeared.

2) Not sure what your "shark fin" antenna was exactly, but most antennas that go by that name are designed to mount on the roof of a car. They require a ground plane as does the Antenna-Plus unit). This is VERY important. If you were trying to use such a unit on a mast without a ground plane, it certainly will not work well.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
Another problem that has been addressed by technology is the problem of limited energy storage and the technological solution has been the introduction of LED lighting. I'm not sure whether multiplex wiring would also fit under this energy conservation umbrella.
It doesn't I'm afraid. Most of the multiplex systems have a constant current draw of 1-2 amps or more. The only way to kill it I can find is a complete shutdown of the DC system. That's also the fix for when it occassionally locks up, requiring a reboot (it's a computer).
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
innovation