Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 05:01 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Yes-That is the one we have and we actually have the larger one and it accommodates a picnic table very well. Just looking for something that extends from the sliding door. Thank you anyway
Djette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I considered looking for something that would attach to the RV somehow, but decided the ability to quickly disconnect and go... during the day when we're staying more than a single night... outweighed the bug-proofing a connected unit would provide.

I also thought about fashioning screen panels around the crank-out awning, but I'm not impressed with its performance when it's windy-- and you still have a bug entry along the underside of the RV.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:31 PM   #23
Bronze Member

We were told if you have the automatic retractable awning in high winds, you can’t use the panels to create a screen room ( of course that makes sense ), but removes that approach as an option. So looking for something else???
Djette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #24
Bronze Member

I also use Coleman screen house. Uv protection but not good if it rains. I add diatomaceous earth food grade around the bottom of the screen house and it helps. Solo traveler so other screen rooms require 2 to set up
Coachmen Crossfit owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #25
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

We just carry a 10x10. canopy which we can attach the screen to or not. Had for 1t years or so and don't remember make.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #26
Bea

“Also, I have a pair of "as seen on TV" magnetically-closing bug screens, joined together, to cover the sliding door's opening.”

Could you please post a link to this— my sprinter doesn’t have a screen option for the sliding door and the quote to equip it with one was a steep 1K. A picture would be great too.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #27
Platinum Member

@proeddie,

In the Gazelle picture you posted, there's a droop in the top of the door panel. Is there a pole that fits across the top of that panel to enable single-handed zipping?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #28
Bronze Member

I bought an LLBean screen house with a fly that totally covers it. It works really well and can even double as sleeping quarters. The fly makes it weathertight. You can also buy a floor for it. The only downside is, that it takes up some space in storage in your camper.
cwbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #29
Platinum Member

@Bea:

Just search for "Magic Mesh". Lots of websites sell them.

I bought two, because a single one is too narrow to fit the sliding door opening. I used the velcro pads that come with them to join the pair to create a double-width screen.

Still working on how best to fit it, but I think it's a promising cheap fix. My goal is to be able to close the van door without messing with the screen.

I'll post a picture when I get a chance.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:56 PM   #30
Bronze Member

My Roadtrek 190 has screens for the side and the back doors. They just Velcro on and work really well. We can leave the back doors open when we sleep at night and get a nice breeze. We have never used the air conditioner at night. However, that does not solve the problem of needing a little more space, so we set the screen house up when we stay more than a few days.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrown View Post
My Roadtrek 190 has screens for the side and the back doors. They just Velcro on and work really well. We can leave the back doors open when we sleep at night and get a nice breeze. We have never used the air conditioner at night. However, that does not solve the problem of needing a little more space, so we set the screen house up when we stay more than a few days.
Question.................we rarely use the air condition even in Florida......typically with widows open and fan on we are fine. Never left the rear door open with a screen. Do many folks do that? Are you concerned about animals attempting to get in at night?

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #32
Bea

My Sprinter ERA has a rear screen so we can keep the rear doors open at night, and we do! It's great to have the natural ventilation, and since we're often dry camping we don't run the AC. Now I just need to rig up screens for the side door
There was a thread at Promaster forum with great pictures of how it can be done: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=48913
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #33
Bronze Member

I honestly don’t know how many people try this, but we camp mostly in New York State and along the East Coast and I have never worried about an animal getting it. I’ve hiked all over the Adirondack mountains and I never worrid about animals getting in the tent or leanto. I guess that’s just me.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
I honestly don’t know how many people try this, but we camp mostly in New York State and along the East Coast and I have never worried about an animal getting it. I’ve hiked all over the Adirondack mountains and I never worrid about animals getting in the tent or leanto. I guess that’s just me.
We have been tempted and have screens as well just was curious....I would have thought raccoons and they like would be a problem.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #35
Bronze Member

Animals really don’t like to be near humans. We smell funny! Now if it was Montana and we were talking about grizzly bears, it might be a different story
Old 08-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Animals really don’t like to be near humans. We smell funny! Now if it was Montana and we were talking about grizzly bears, it might be a different story
She now asked about snakes. Guess they are reptiles not animals. Anyone have trouble with them thru the screen?

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 08-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #37
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey cwbrown, I've been in about as big as it gets in the US in terms of grizzly bears alone for a week or so multiple times, 20 miles from a trail head. It is still the same, "We smell funny". We hope. Of course, a grizzly can get past it and be a good friend.

The OBVIOUS Primary threat are humans that smell funny. In the largest 'wilderness areas' in the Western US I don't carry a firearm as the human threat is not enough, only grizzles, and only pepper spray. Anywhere else, nothing unless I'm responsible for others.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #38
Bronze Member

Now that’s a separate story. In Florida, you have snakes. Big ones. Lock the doors!
Old 09-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #39
Platinum Member

A while back, someone posted a really good YouTube about unbearable flies (with or without bug screen). The couple had gone camping I think it was in Ontario in the late spring, gloating that there was nobody else in the campground and not realizing what they would face in terms of flies at that time (which is why there was nobody else in the campground). I can't find the thread right now. Does anyone remember who did this vid? If so, please post. Thx.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote