Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmroman View Post
“Roadtrek used to charge 8k but have jacked the option up to just short of 10k.“

I looked into purchasing a new 4x4 RT 190 last Fall. The quoted MSRP was $25.8K (?!!). Even with a typical 20% discount, that’s STILL $20K for a Quigley 4x4 Conversion that’s available everyday for $12K. Lost interest and upgraded my present RT 210P .
The current 10k is for a 4WD Sprinter. I thought Roadtrek quit offering a 4WD version of the 190 over 3 years ago and AFAIK, Quigley no longer will do a conversion on upfitted vans. Who provided the 25.8k MSRP quote?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #42
Gold Member

Hey Cruising7388.

1) You can still get the Quigley 4x4 by request.
2) You are correct. Quigley will only work on “Clean” Vans.
3) The quote was directly from the Factory, as I was sitting in the Office when the call was placed. I was also looking to have the Truma Combi installed and the extra Cladding deleted, to improve ground clearance. NO on both. I lost interest and added upgrades to my 210
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Cruising7388.

1) You can still get the Quigley 4x4 by request.
2) You are correct. Quigley will only work on “Clean” Vans.
3) The quote was directly from the Factory, as I was sitting in the Office when the call was placed. I was also looking to have the Truma Combi installed and the extra Cladding deleted, to improve ground clearance. NO on both. I lost interest and added upgrades to my 210
Thanks for the update. I know that RT used to formally catalog a 4WD option for the 190 but not the 210. In any event the Chevy factory has the Quigley conversion done prior to delivery to RT so RT has no material or labor input for this. A friend has had two recent Quigley conversions done on Chevy vans and with some of their options including lifts and anti-swaybars., the bill was around 12k. Jacking this up to over 25k by RT is beyond the pale.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
While my Roadtrek 210 Popular does good with the lift & Dana 70 locker I'll be taking the rig in for an IFS 4X4 conversion this spring. I'd like it to have all the capability that it will need for snow, sand and back country areas that I plan on seeing out west.
Roadtrek use to catalog a 4WD option for the 190 but not for the 210. The explanation offered is that the 210 did not have the cargo capacity headroom to permit this.

What shops do you recommend for doing a conversion on a 210? Does the water tank up forward have to be modified?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:32 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Roadtrek use to catalog a 4WD option for the 190 but not for the 210. The explanation offered is that the 210 did not have the cargo capacity headroom to permit this.

What shops do you recommend for doing a conversion on a 210? Does the water tank up forward have to be modified?
When I stop in I'll be discussing the weight implications as well as anything else that might be effected by the conversion. I'll post up what I learn.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:54 AM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
I saw the Winnebago Revel recently and all I can say is that this thing is huge. I mean tall and wide for a offroad vehicle.
We have the IVECO Daily and that thing is enormous. A 4x4 Van with a 5000lb payload. Very good Off Road. Europeans can build small cars but their Vans and Heavy Trucks are very impressive
Robert Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:16 AM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
My take-away is that the addition of 4X4 adds ground clearance, some noticeable and perhaps important amount of drive traction, and low and high gearing for more controllable steep climbs and descents.
Basically that is it for the Sprinter. 4x4 Conversion makes it more agreeable Off Road
Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
We have the IVECO Daily and that thing is enormous. A 4x4 Van with a 5000lb payload. Very good Off Road. Europeans can build small cars but their Vans and Heavy Trucks are very impressive
Unfortunately, we don’t have access to the more capable 4x4 chassis that you have in Australia or that are available in Europe. Over here it is basically the Fuso Canter 4x4 and the pickup truck chassis that have decent 4x4 along with conversion companies doing mods to the full size commercial vans from Chevy, Ford, and Nissan to make them 4x4. For our larger expedition truck we went with the cab forward Kenworth K370 (DAF design) that was converted to 4x4 but this is a 33,000 lb GVWR chassis so larger than the Fuso or the Iveco Daily.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:45 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
When I stop in I'll be discussing the weight implications as well as anything else that might be effected by the conversion. I'll post up what I learn.
The torsion bars on a Quigley 4WD for the Chevy are inside the rails so it may be necessary to relocate tanks.

The additional weight for the conversion is about 500 lbs which presumably cuts into cargo capacity. But I wonder if it isn't more complicated than that. An additional 500 pounds on the rear of the coach impacts the suspension and the rear tires. Is it arguable that in a 4WD conversion, most of this weight is registered at the front end of the coach and has relatively little impact on practical cargo capacity?
Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
Unfortunately, we don’t have access to the more capable 4x4 chassis that you have in Australia or that are available in Europe. Over here it is basically the Fuso Canter 4x4 and the pickup truck chassis that have decent 4x4 along with conversion companies doing mods to the full size commercial vans from Chevy, Ford, and Nissan to make them 4x4. For our larger expedition truck we went with the cab forward Kenworth K370 (DAF design) that was converted to 4x4 but this is a 33,000 lb GVWR chassis so larger than the Fuso or the Iveco Daily.
You are bit restricted in that way. Many different chassis’s available here for Class B ,Class C or Expedition Vehicles.
IVECO Daily is a preferred choice for Class C Motorhomes. They go too 28 nearly 29ft and can tow 6,600-7200lb depending on variation. 72c version has a 23,750lb GCWR
Old 03-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
The torsion bars on a Quigley 4WD for the Chevy are inside the rails so it may be necessary to relocate tanks.

The additional weight for the conversion is about 500 lbs which presumably cuts into cargo capacity. But I wonder if it isn't more complicated than that. An additional 500 pounds on the rear of the coach impacts the suspension and the rear tires. Is it arguable that in a 4WD conversion, most of this weight is registered at the front end of the coach and has relatively little impact on practical cargo capacity?
I would expect that most of the weight increase would fall over the front of the vehicle as that's where the new components are. How much extra weight that will be I will find out when I talk to them.

The empty weight of the empty vehicle will increase thus decreasing the certified payload capability. After installing the Dana 70s rear axle the load carrying capability of the vehicle is no longer an issue for me. Braking capability at higher weights is also to be considered but as the vehicle brakes are designed to stop the 9,600 lb RT 210 and a trailer (7,000+ lbs IIRC) I wouldn't be concerned with that either.

As far as rear tire load capability is concerned, the BFG T/A KO2's have a load capacity of 6390 lbs total (per axle) so I'll be ok as long as Im not putting a large load tongue weight on the hitch.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #52
Gold Member

Hey Hondo.

Read your entire 210 Thread. What a Saga! Hoping the end result was to your complete satisfaction .

After finishing the Thread, I got curious enough to research which Rear End is in my 2005 210. Gave my local Dealer the VIN # and asked to confirm what is in there. I was pleasantly surprised when he informed me that it had the Locking Diff, with 4.10 Gears. Must have been a “Special Order” at the time she was built. I’m having my trusted Mechanic install Sumo Springs front and rear, hoping that it will dampen the current side to side bounce and maybe change out the Bilsteins. We’ll see...

Anxious to see the results of your potential 4x4 Conversion .
Old 03-17-2018, 12:04 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Ya got lucky with the locking 4.10 axle- is it a Dana 60S or 70S?

There is a sticker on the rear of the axle, drivers side, looks like this-

On the bottom right it will say 60S or 70S.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:42 AM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ya got lucky with the locking 4.10 axle- is it a Dana 60S or 70S?

There is a sticker on the rear of the axle, drivers side, looks like this-

On the bottom right it will say 60S or 70S.
If the sticker is gone, you can also tell the 70s by the big full floater hubs sticking through the wheel centers with 6 big bolts.

I don't know if they had an option for the locking rear on the 60s, although I think they did make one.

You never really never know what is in used stuff until you check completely at the parts. The RPO code on the 4.10 70s that we got said the van came with a 3.73, so it had obviously been changed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #55
Gold Member

Hey Guys.

This is what I have. I’m NOT Mechanically SAVVY at all. The little info that I have tells me that this Van was setup to handle “Heavy” trailering demands (NOT going above the GCWR) with a bit of decrease in MPG? Does this Axle provide a bit more “Torque” than one with 3.73 Gears? Is it probable that there is an additional Trans Cooler? What is the difference between a L/S Diff and a Locking Diff? Am I on the right track? This is where I go to school . Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0B633807-B226-43F6-8350-62C1DDB9268A.jpg (231.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Guys.

This is what I have. I’m NOT Mechanically SAVVY at all. The little info that I have tells me that this Van was setup to handle “Heavy” trailering demands (NOT going above the GCWR) with a bit of decrease in MPG? Does this Axel provide a bit more “Torque” than one with 3.73 Gears? Is it probable that there is an additional Trans Cooler? What is the difference between a L/S Diff and a Locking Diff? Am I on the right track? This is where I go to school . Thanks
If I read it right it should be a 10.5" full floating 70s axle with 4.10 gears and automatic locking. This would be the one they used on the trailer towing package like Roadtreks have as an option on the Chevies, and it would include a trans cooler in front of the radiator. That is a very good axle and will run much cooler and also keep the rear tires cooler than the stock one.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #57
BBQ
Platinum Member

Old 04-08-2018, 03:17 AM   #58
BBQ
Platinum Member

The most capable 4x4 Class B ?

Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 AM   #59
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

The most capable 4x4 Class B ?

Small Japanese 4x4 Vans are quite common here.. I have been on that dirt road near a place called Capertee( Cup of Tea)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #60
Platinum Member

Toyota HiAce 4 x4 Van Conversion. You can get VW Transporter Off Road versions from the factory