Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default The hunt is over

I've been looking for three plus months for a class B. That search ended today! I've owned a class C before but this will be a new experience.

My requirements weren't bad, but pricing was a serious issue. Due to my price range I knew I was looking at old units. I found dozens that didn't fit the bill.

Power steering & brakes
Power windows & locks
Air Conditioning
Cruise control
Preferably a Dodge
Fuel injected
4 speed automatic
Under $5000

Friday night I saw a new ad go up, emailed immediately and got no response. Called at 10AM on Saturday and was told the seller wouldn't be available until Sunday at noon. I called at 12:01 today and the van was still available. I made the arrangements to meet at 2 since it is located out of town.

Went and saw it, made an offer and the paperwork was signed!

It is a 1992 Pleasureway on a Dodge B350 chassis. 5.2L (318 Magnum) engine with 138,000km (86,000 miles). The seller was the original owner and other than being dirty it's pretty mint. It has some damage on the rear gate from being backed into a tree and that will be fixed pretty quickly. Purchase price was $2000 which leaves quite a bit from the budget for repairs.

It's a little dirty as it hasn't been driven in a year but the old gentleman started it up every month and it purrs like a kitten.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120.JPG (107.0 KB, 947 views)
File Type: jpg 121.JPG (63.2 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg 122.JPG (39.8 KB, 947 views)
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: The hunt is over

$2,000 ! ! ! .......... That is fantastic Your patience paid off.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks!

I think I just scared myself. I just decided to look and make sure he removed the ad for the van and there's an ad for a 1991 pleasureway that is nearly identical to mine but has a sink in the bathroom, canopy, an add-a-room and 45,000 more km and it's listed for $13,500!
Old 09-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

There's nothing anywhere near that price around here. Even if you have to put a couple thousand into it it is still a fantastic deal. Pleasure-Way is a great brand. Very popular layout - looks like two twin beds that probably can be made into a larger single bed if wanted.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Nice score.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Thanks.

The twin beds have a board that can be used to make the bed into a king size bed (nice!).

I drove it home today, a few issues.

Shifting was my main concern, the transmission is not working correctly. Fortunately one of my friends is a transmission jockey. I'll get him to check it out. But I may just get it rebuilt before it blows up, it's likely cheaper that way.

The AC doesn't work. The elderly gentleman who owned it never used the AC. I don't see any bad hoses so it may just need a refill.

The tires are toast, I knew that before I bought it but they scared me when driving. They are the likely cause of a shake at 50kmh.

Engine was solid, brakes were great and everything else seems good. I'll post up some new/better pics once I clean it up.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:30 AM   #7
Silver Member

I don't think you can add coolant to the AC, and if it's low then it has a leak, and would cost more to repair than its worth. Hope it's something simple, like a breaker, or switch.
Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Probably dash A/C.

I was looking online today and found a '92 LTV in my area with similar mileage ........... asking price was just over $10k. If you end up close to your original budget after repairs and upgrades then you'll still have done extremely well on the deal.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I suggest a good clean out of the trans using Trans x. I had an old Toyota motorhome that started not shifting right. I went to do a service on the trans and the trans fluid came out like maple syrup. I had to use the trans x with trans fluid . I filled it then drained it 3 times before it started shifting right. Your friend may or may not know this. Might give it a try.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
Platinum Member

That looks great, and at a great price, the interior looks to be in very good condition, congratulations, its quite a feeling, bringing it home for the first time, have fun,,,,,,,
peppster66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

The wood alone is worth 2000$. Pleasure-way makes great interiors with real wood. I know as I have one too. Transmission MAY need a rebuild but I would suspect seals might be toast but clutches and planetary gears might be ok at that mileage if the rig wasnt lugged a lot and that seems inlikely by condition. Tires are a normal throwaway after 5 years. Well done.
AL
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Congratulations on a great find! I thought I got a good deal on my 99 American Cruiser for $8900 but $2000, Wow!.

In a 1992, the AC would use R-12 refrigerant which is now banned. They can be converted. In 2003 or 4, I priced converting the dash AC in my 92 Coachmen Class A from R-12 to R-134A. At that time, it would have cost about $400. Probably more than that now. I never did have it done. As I recall, they have to change all of the seals as R-134a will break down the seals that were used with R-12. Also, because R-134a is not as efficient as R-12, the unit won't cool quite as well. The condenser and evaporator in AC systems designed for R-134a units have more heat transfer surface area to compensate for this.
Good luck and Enjoy!
Randy
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote