Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I think its helpful to think about the alternative if you don't buy a camper. Is it a hotel room or a tent? Your sleeping space as described is probably no more cramped than a standard family tent. But for us the issue was the third alternative, not doing something at all. You can certainly find rooms in the Cascades, but that is a lot different experience than a campground where you can get up and go for a hike, have a campfire etc.

As for miles versus age, I think that the reasons they are important are different. The low mileage likely means the vehicle will continue to run reliably. But the mileage is not a good indicator for how much use the rest of the vehicle has got. The old age means that a lot of stuff in the coach is going to be wearing out.

We bought a 22 foot class b with a lot of trepidation about its length. We park it on the street in front of our house and have parked in residential neighborhoods in cities. Its not as big an issue as we expected. The fact that it is standard vehicle width is probably one reason for that. It is our "second car". For the same reason as you we had not had for the last 20 years. When you are used to only having one vehicle, the second one is a luxury when you need it even if it isn't the most convenient to park.

That said, I would not consider a class C. They are cheaper for a reason and using one as a second car seems like a stretch. They are just too big and awkward.

I have no idea whether that is a fair price. The question is whether its worth the money to you and what are your other choices. We decided what we wanted, then decided what we were willing to pay. By the time we bought we were choosing between the new vehicle we settled on and two used vehicles that showed up after we had largely made up our minds. We ended up with a used vehicle with more of what we wanted for about the same price as the new vehicle.

Any question of whether it was worth it has nothing to do with whether we got a good deal. Its whether we are getting enough value from it for the money we spent. So far we think we are.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:01 AM   #22
Platinum Member

This 4-season issue doesn’t bother me in the least. We use our DIY all year round—IIRC, 8°F is our lowest yet. The solution is no fixed plumbing—or at least drain what is fixed. With no plumbing, we have water, hot shower and toilet. Just make sure you have an aux heater that works for those cold mornings.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:08 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Default Most Class B's can be used year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
This 4-season issue doesn’t bother me in the least. We use our DIY all year round—IIRC, 8°F is our lowest yet. The solution is no fixed plumbing—or at least drain what is fixed. With no plumbing, we have water, hot shower and toilet. Just make sure you have an aux heater that works for those cold mornings.
When people talk about "true four-season", I assume they mean having running water in extended sub-freezing weather. But I think most class B's are four season in the sense that you can use them in cold weather. We have camped in sub-zero for several days. When winterized, we use RV antifreeze to "flush" the toilet and bottled water for drinking. Our furnace kept us toasty warm. So if four season means year round use, I think most class b's are four season.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #24

Default If RV hook-ups are available ...

Can you run everything through the hook-ups? As in, can you heat the van with the electricity? I know this is a dumb question. But I know nothing about these things. The reason I ask is because, yes, being able to stay in it during the winter is a priority, albeit, a lower-tiered one. It'd mainly serve as a spring, summer and early fall road-tripping vehicle to accommodate our whitewater kayaking pursuits.
But, all the ski areas have RV hook-ups. Couldn't I just plug it in and keep the van warm?
ChristianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #25
Platinum Member

We have always found that when on 110v shore power, a small 1200-150 watt ceramic cube heater gives us enough heat down to maybe 20F or so. Much below that and we use the propane heater in the van. When using the propane heater of course, it will require power from the coach battery (batteries), but is best if you are on shore power to keep the batteries charged, as the blower fan can take a fair amount of juice if running a lot overnight.

Assume you know that most, if not all, of these camping vans have separate 12v "Coach" or "House" batteries from the vehicles main 12v battery referred to as the "Chassis battery."
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKnight View Post
Can you run everything through the hook-ups? As in, can you heat the van with the electricity? I know this is a dumb question. But I know nothing about these things. The reason I ask is because, yes, being able to stay in it during the winter is a priority, albeit, a lower-tiered one. It'd mainly serve as a spring, summer and early fall road-tripping vehicle to accommodate our whitewater kayaking pursuits.
But, all the ski areas have RV hook-ups. Couldn't I just plug it in and keep the van warm?
Not everything-you won't be able to use the full plumbing- but you can certainly keep warm using an electric space heater or the coach furnace. With fresh and grey water systems winterized and shut off, you can cook and wash up with bottled water and flush the toilet with RV antifreeze. Dump grey water onto the ground or into a drain.

With five people there will be issues with condensation. Running a heater, keeping a window or vent cracked open, and covering windows with foil bubble radiant barrier should minimize issues.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #27
Platinum Member

We have also found that an 1500 watt electric heater is OK to about 20* with a good sleeping bag as there are still cold spots and drafts. Get up to go the bathroom with bare feet and you learn really quickly that it is cold out. The propane does a better job of getting heat more even, I think.

We have a 2007 C190P Roadtrek
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #28

Default Chris, did you make a choice?

Did you choose an RV?
Keko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #29

Winnebago just came out with a 4 season class b 2020 model called the Solis.
Pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #30
Platinum Member

With 5 people, their supplies, and mountain territory, the RV needs a powerful motor, and traction advantages. I'd check out v10 Ford units like Pleasureway offers.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Finding space for bedding for 5 will be a challenge. You will need somewhere to stow those extra mattresses/sleepings bags/pillows etc. ) If you have any hobbies that require gear, storage will be a big issue unless you carry some sort of box or trailer. 5 bike helmets, hiking boots, fishing rods...all that would take up most of your usable space.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #32

Smile

When I became interested in trying an RV, I asked people with RVs for advice. I consistently heard the same two bits over and over, worded differently, but basically the same: (1) Do it now. Don't wait. Too much can happen to later interfere. And (2) Don't get anything too large. The bigger the more work at setting up camp, departing camp, general cleaning and maintenance. Since I live in the Rocky Mountains of Montana and wanted winter use, I add a third wish: insulation. I bought a 97 Dodge 190 V, and I fell in love in love with it - so four years later I am living full time in my class B, wintering again in the Rockies (the first winter I drove out to the coast of northern California to learn the ways of RVing, but the second winter I was in eastern Oregon with temperatures down to minus 24; and last winter in the Boulder Valley of Montana I experienced minus 27, comfortably). There are no guarantees on anything mechanical. Just solve inconveniences as they happen.
anne27m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 PM   #33
Platinum Member

All I can think of in the way of a "winter package" is a water heater bypass. It lets you use the fresh water system without any water going into the heater tank, so the tank is not in danger of freezing. (I put a piece of tape over the water heater switch when the tank is drained to remind us not to turn it on. Firing the water heater with the tank empty cannot be good for the tank.) This does nothing to protect the rest of the water system, of course.

I have a hard enough time skiing out of our 200 with just two of us in the van. Getting dressed, undressing, drying clothes; it takes up the room quickly! Five people in a smaller van? Oh dear. And if you have someone sleeping on the floor, how is anyone going to use the toilet?

Our 200 has a storage area in the back that extends the full width of the van. That is where we carry skis. I don't think a 190 has anything like that. Where are you going to carry your skis and poles?
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #34
Silver Member

I didnt read all the posts, but i will add my 2 cents. Ive had every type and size of camper from 38'diesel buses to 5th wheel trailers and popup campers.
The miles and maintenance matter FAR MORE than the age. Some people have had egregious problems w mercedes electronic diesel sprinters that are nearly new for instance. I currently have 2 1987 campers, one a class b coachman and a class A canadian empress 32'. They are both in excellent condition with low miles.
I also have a large slidein camper for my pickup truck when i want to pull my 25' boat.
For 5 people, yall would be far better off with a large slidein and a pickup truck(and when not in use as a camper, you then have a pickup truck. Mine has a queen bed, a folddown single bunk and a dinette that converts to a bed for 2 and still has a shower. It would be tight but it would work, a class B for 5 people would be insane unless you custom built one for that purpose. In fact, id suggest a hightop conversion van that you built bunks into and installed a furnace as a better and far cheaper option than a already built class b.
Otherwise id suggest a small class A or a small class C(often referred to as a b+), but for max sleeping quarters a class c with over the driving area bunk will be the best, or an older class a with a pull down bunk over the driving area.
It is quite easy to find an older camper that will much better fit yalls needs for 15 grand and under than it will be to find a class B that still doesnt fit yalls needs.
And if youre not rich, older simpler nonelectronic engines are far cheaper and simpler to repair(or something gas with only fuel injection, avoid electronic diesels).
Ive winter camped in my class B for extended periods and it is 4 seasons designed, BUT it is all steel and glass and therefore is exceptionally drafty and "cold" feeling. Every other style camper is better in this regard unless something unusual is built into your particular class b. Trailers, slideins, class As and Bs all have some level of insulation all around the camper section.
Class Bs are really only suitable for 1-2 people for extended time frames or maybe 2 adults and 2 smaller children for long weekends max.
A slidein or trailer requires the least maintenance because you maintain the tow vehicle and slideins dont even require a license plate.
I like my class B, but it is my least favorite to use when it is more than myself and my girlfriend and she prefers the slidein even when its just us because the bed is way bigger and so is the shower and cooking area and dinette, all of those in the class b are miniscuke and the shower is basically a sitin joke. I usually shower standing outside the rear doors on the ground.
And as a parting point, every style of camper mentioned is almost always cheaper to purchase than a class B because class Bs have become so trendy. I can go on craigslist or rvtrader.com right now and find really nice campers of all types except class Bs for less than 10 grand, and with the savings you could buy a used saturn for a commuter and put your new camper in a storage facility inside when not in use.
But if cost and a spare vehicle are a very large concern i would urge yall to take a look at a pickup and a slidein or a pickup(or van) and a trailer and then just keep them in storage, yall will be money and convenience ahead.
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #35

If you are still looking . We have a couple of suggestions. First the Dodge ram series. Parts for these are like chicken teeth you can't find an can wind up with a nice vehicle you can't use. Older stay with Ford, many more parts available for older units.
Buy in January February wintertime people need to sell it's a buyer's market. Nice weather you pay dearly. Been there done that. Patience is your best friend don't be afraid to wait.
As for five in a B. Your gonna need a big storage box. Some are made special for cargo an bikes together. Might consider a little pop up to pull for cargo an older kids sleeping, not much weight an easy to pull.
Good luck
Grumpy
whitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #36
Platinum Member

PS. Chinook made 4-season class B vans. But they are long out of business.
rtbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:36 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Default Minus 24 and minus 27 comfortably???

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne27m View Post
When I became interested in trying an RV, I asked people with RVs for advice. I consistently heard the same two bits over and over, worded differently, but basically the same: (1) Do it now. Don't wait. Too much can happen to later interfere. And (2) Don't get anything too large. The bigger the more work at setting up camp, departing camp, general cleaning and maintenance. Since I live in the Rocky Mountains of Montana and wanted winter use, I add a third wish: insulation. I bought a 97 Dodge 190 V, and I fell in love in love with it - so four years later I am living full time in my class B, wintering again in the Rockies (the first winter I drove out to the coast of northern California to learn the ways of RVing, but the second winter I was in eastern Oregon with temperatures down to minus 24; and last winter in the Boulder Valley of Montana I experienced minus 27, comfortably). There are no guarantees on anything mechanical. Just solve inconveniences as they happen.
Anne, well. . I have to say that I've never heard anyone say anything like that...... amazing.... .. I'm speechless.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:22 AM   #38

My wife and I made plans with the Salem dealer on Friday to view—and most likely—purchase the Roadtrek on Sunday. On that same day, the dealer took the Roadtrek into the Salem dealership to have it inspected.
I spoke for 10 minutes or so with the mechanic who oversaw the inspection. He gave me a verbal inspection report—leaks in the oil coolant lines ($439 a piece) and a leak in the power steering line (unknown cost, since Chevy doesn't manufacture those specific lines anymore).
At the end of our conversation, I asked the mechanic if he'd buy it, considering the repairs.
"I wouldn't," he said. "Just cause for that kind of money, you could get a pretty nice and newer vehicle."
Based on my research, I knew that wasn't necessarily true. Mentally, I swallowed the extra costs and mentally re-committed myself to the four-hour drive from Seattle to Salem I'd be making on Sunday.
The next day, I received a text from the Salem dealer. The Roadtrek, he said, had sold. To the mechanic who inspected it!
I had to laugh. The search for a Roadtrek will continue. Thank you all for your help and advice.
ChristianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:30 PM   #39
Platinum Member

That mechanic might have bought it to flip it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Default Not worth $26,000 to $28,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
That mechanic might have bought it to flip it.
I'm not going to say this again... don't purchase a 2002 Roadtrek 190 even with 44,000 miles for $26,000 to $28,000 plus tax. .... not worth it.....

Years are much more important than mileage...

If the mechanic thinks he can "flip it", let him do it... besides the leak in the power steering line is problematic...parts wise.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2002/...3027039/Values

Find another vehicle Christian....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadtrek versatile