Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That's interesting as GM dropped the 1500 vans several years ago.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/g...ans-83947.html

GMC Savana and Chevrolet Express 1500 Vans Quietly Dropped for 2015

I didn't realize Roadtrek even used the 1500 GM vans. I thought they were all at least 2500 or 3500 models. From what I can find in the below linked Roadtrek 170 Versatile brochure it's made on a 2500 van.

https://www.roadtrek.com/wp-content/...re-08-2016.pdf

Also discovered that GM has been using Navistar to build some versions of their vans for the last few years so they can build more pickup trucks.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...idsize-pickups

I would not be surprised to see GM drop the vans altogether so they can make more money on pickup trucks. They already announced dropping the small vans earlier this year. GM appears to be in down-size mode to survive.

https://www.autonews.com/article/201...ress-small-van
Roadtrek has never used the 1500 Chevy. I heard one of the reasons RT is considering backing off on the 210 Popular (Chevy Chassis) is not enough interest anymore, those that are ordering are few & far between and they won't produce until they get a certain amount of orders. Sad really, we love our RT 210P, just took it out today to give it a good run.
scrndoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #22

It may just be that Chevy van no longer gives the space and agility that modern Euro Style vans do. I recently migrated from the old Ram B3500 (1971-2003) chassis Class B to a Ram 2500 Promaster 3.6 V6. More power, more space, more headroom, much tighter turning circle, better visibility, and 22+mpg. Very steady in crosswinds and transport traffic. The build is less expensive so we get more for the money.
Time marches on.
browngw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browngw View Post
It may just be that Chevy van no longer gives the space and agility that modern Euro Style vans do. I recently migrated from the old Ram B3500 (1971-2003) chassis Class B to a Ram 2500 Promaster 3.6 V6. More power, more space, more headroom, much tighter turning circle, better visibility, and 22+mpg. Very steady in crosswinds and transport traffic. The build is less expensive so we get more for the money.
Time marches on.
Even having never driven a Promaster, I can believe it is a significant upgrade from the old Dodge van. However, having driven the old Dodge classs "b" van and a "modern" Chevy class "b", I can say there is a significant difference between the two. The Chevy is smoother riding, tracks better (little wind effect), is more powerful, quieter, and more fuel efficient. The turning circle is still wide, though.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #24
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by browngw View Post
Time marches on.
Ok. I get that you’re not a fan of the Chevy...

But, just to fact-check you...

More POWER for the Promaster??? Try 342 HP-373 ft-lbs Torque for the Chevy vs 280 HP-260 ft-lbs Torque for the Promaster.

Currently, the Promaster has a Tow Rating of up to 5100 lbs vs the Chevy at up to 10,000 lbs.

I belong to several RV Groups. NO ONE is claiming 22+ miles per gallon for their Promaster Van. Maybe for the 1500 Promaster, but let’s compare Apples to Apples.

Care to EDIT your comments?

Have a nice day .
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmroman View Post
Ok. I get that you’re not a fan of the Chevy...

But, just to fact-check you...

More POWER for the Promaster??? Try 342 HP-373 ft-lbs Torque for the Chevy vs 280 HP-260 ft-lbs Torque for the Promaster.

Currently, the Promaster has a Tow Rating of up to 5100 lbs vs the Chevy at up to 10,000 lbs.

I belong to several RV Groups. NO ONE is claiming 22+ miles per gallon for their Promaster Van. Maybe for the 1500 Promaster, but let’s compare Apples to Apples.

Care to EDIT your comments?

Have a nice day .
No I do not care to edit. Most Class B people do not need to tow large trailers and it was not the topic anyways. 22miles per gallon imperial (I live in Canada) is about 17-18 US and quite achievable. Very good friends of ours have a 2008 RT on the Chev chassis and it is nice vehicle, but hasn't changed in many years. The marketplace will decide in the end.
browngw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 AM   #26
Platinum Member

I got only 15 mpg in my trip to AZ in my new SRT, but the winds were mostly contrary. But I love the way it drives. My two Chevy rigs also behaved well on the road, but I prefer the Promaster. The tow-haul in the mountains was totally impressive.

I don't even want to talk about how badly my Ford based GWV was to drive. LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I'm enjoying the discussion here, if only while we're waiting for news on the Transit-based Roadtrek Haven.

You'd think RT would post some Haven prototype pics and floorplans, now that the word is out.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #28
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I'm enjoying the discussion here, if only while we're waiting for news on the Transit-based Roadtrek Haven.

You'd think RT would post some Haven prototype pics and floorplans, now that the word is out.
Watt would you say that?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #29
Silver Member

Still no news? I've searched the interwebs… surprised I haven't seen a pic of the Haven. I think I will make a point of going to the Nor Cal RV show next week in Pleasanton. If she's there I will take some pics and offer up an assuredly mediocre review.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:11 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
Still no news? I've searched the interwebs… surprised I haven't seen a pic of the Haven. I think I will make a point of going to the Nor Cal RV show next week in Pleasanton. If she's there I will take some pics and offer up an assuredly mediocre review.
Please post pics if you see this elusive unicorn. It's not often a totally new model from a major player like Roadtrek gets released. Until this thread, I was even hearing rumors of the demise of the Transit as a basis for class "b's". Glad to hear the rumors aren't true.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #31
Gold Member

“Until this thread, I was even hearing rumors of the demise of the Transit as a basis for class "b's". Glad to hear the rumors aren't true”.

Yes. Thankfully, those rumors aren’t true. WGO shot themselves in the foot by launching the Paseo with a cross-Coach sleeping setup. Being forced to do that on a 22ft long Coach was simply inexcusable. They made a half-hearted attempt to correct that by lengthening the right side Couch ONLY (???). Slow Sales have forced them to stop offering the Paseo. Hopefully, it will return (Same thing happened with the ERA. Was taken off the Market, redesigned and relaunched) with a REAL redesign of the rear sleeping arrangement. The Transit is a solid Chassis for a B Coach. Currently, just the Coachmen CROSSFIT is on the Transit. Hymer/Roadtrek’s Launching of their HAVEN Model will make that two.
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #32
Bronze Member

First video I've seen of the Roadtrek Haven is from Carey's in Tampa.

Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
First video I've seen of the Roadtrek Haven is from Carey's in Tampa.

Thanks Binny. By far the most we've seen on the Haven, by far.

Did anyone else think is was strange they were there all by themselves?

Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Comparing it to our Winnebago Paseo on the same chassis, I'll take the Paseo. I really don't like that body cladding, it takes away a lot of ground clearance, and makes any maintenance tasks underneath really difficult for the DIYer. Also the bathroom seemed small. And I don't like that all the windows are on the driver side where the utilities hook up, and the bathroom blocks the window on the side that usually is facing any view.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:28 AM   #35
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsPaseo View Post
Comparing it to our Winnebago Paseo on the same chassis, I'll take the Paseo. I really don't like that body cladding, it takes away a lot of ground clearance, and makes any maintenance tasks underneath really difficult for the DIYer. Also the bathroom seemed small. And I don't like that all the windows are on the driver side where the utilities hook up, and the bathroom blocks the window on the side that usually is facing any view.
I don't disagree with you. I've been following the major outfitters and their potential takes on the Transit with great interest. The real winner is the Crossfit. With its superior cabinetry, insulation, and new lithium package, yeah... It's not even close. I'm ready to make my purchase. I believe many will follow.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #36
Bronze Member

This particular unit looks like a somewhat of an unfinished prototype. No solar on top or a/c under or on top. I love the floor plan, although it's a similar to one of the Galleria floor plans. Love the long counter tops but absolutely hate the "swoops" graphics on the exterior. Ugh! It's not the 1970's folks, stealthy is where it's at.

I think the way to go if you want the Transit body is the Crossfit. Coachmen seems really invested in making a great product, this from a Travato owner (which I love).
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #37
Bronze Member

I wonder if they'll offer a Quigley 4wd option?
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hayden View Post
This particular unit looks like a somewhat of an unfinished prototype. No solar on top or a/c under or on top. I love the floor plan, although it's a similar to one of the Galleria floor plans. Love the long counter tops but absolutely hate the "swoops" graphics on the exterior. Ugh! It's not the 1970's folks, stealthy is where it's at.

I think the way to go if you want the Transit body is the Crossfit. Coachmen seems really invested in making a great product, this from a Travato owner (which I love).
There was a sign out back to say that it "wasn't finished". I felt cheap feeling materials.....liked the layout.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Default Roadtrek Haven - New Features Announcement

Tampa, FL, USA – Jan 22, 2019. Erwin Hymer Group NA announces new Roadtrek Haven features at Florida RV Supershow.

"As the final model in the storied Roadtrek lineage we are thrilled to be introducing these unique and industry leading capabilities" said Mike Snell, Vice President of Sales for Erwin Hymer Group North America:
  • Ford Transit 350 chassis with EcoBoost 3.5 V6 provides 310 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque to outrun auditors driving crappy rental econoboxes.

• Electric Retractable Step allows you to literally pull the rug out from under suppliers, employees and customers.

• Full Blackout Curtains keep prying eyes of accountants and authorities at bay.

• EgoTrek 800 power module personally designed by Jim Hammill's nephew combines the features of lithium, lead-acid, and D-cell battery technology into a unique system unlike any other in the power electronics industry.

• Ultra-Macerator dices invoices into tiny strips and combines them into a fine sewage slurry to deter forensic document reconstruction.

Erwin Hymer Group is now accepting cash deposits (non-sequential serial numbers) for the Roadtrek Haven – truly your new Haven from the harsh realities of the everyday world!

About us – Roadtrek is a division of Erwin Hymer Group NA, the largest Class-B VIN producer in North America.

rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:33 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Wait until RossWilliams sees this.