Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default The van arrived

Well just got a phone call, the van was just shipped from Ford to the local dealer the other day. Called the dealer to inform him and was told that they already prepped it and it is now at Sportsmobile awaiting the conversion. Can't wait!! The ball is now in Nancy & Jim's court, so to speak. So anxious, never did anything like this before. Just still can't believe we're doing this. It's what we wanted forever and finally doing it.
WOW!!! Getting closer.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: The van arrived

Congrats. On your Ford/SMB. I'd be interested in the process you went thru. with Ford & SportsMobile getting the conversion done etc. Is it a 4wheel drive unit? I spent a lot of time inspecting, drooling & questioning the SportsMobile Reps. at the recent "Overland Expo" near Flagstaff. We have a Chev. RoadTrek that we like to travel in, but getting a little frustrated with some of the inherent problems of GM motor & chassis.
Again congrat. Any thing you would like to share is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ric. in Arizona
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Almost 20 years ago I ordered a B from Sportsmobile in Austin, TX. I was very pleased with it. I know you are going to enjoy yours as well.
VanGoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It's not 4wd. Ordered the van in St Louis (home) and had it drop shipped to another Ford dealer in IN (Crain Ford, recommended by the SMB people). They prepped it and sent to over to Sportsmobile, where it awaits it's turn to be converted. Initially emailed and talked on the phone to Nancy. Told her what we wanted and didn't want in our conversion. She provided a spec sheet from which we ordered. Talked to our salesman and got an order put together, which we double checked with her that our choice of accessories and base style was best for them to work with. Then ordered the van. They (SMB) will order the van for you, but in our case we had a trade in that greatly reduced the cost and they (SMB) don't work with trade ins.
We are on the list for conversion, but it'll probably start sometime in Sept. (Boo!) But we're getting closer.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Sounds like a great Adventure in it's self. Keep us posted on progress - Sept. won't come soon enough for you though... Fill us in on how it will be set up - accessories, etc. Assuming it's a pop-top roof? Hope you can do pictures too!??
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Gold Member

When we had our Sportsmobile built I asked Nancy to take pictures of the progress for us. Was fun to see how it was all put together.