Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
jon
Platinum Member

Default This again. Sorry - Cassette or Black Tank

I'm finalizing my transit B layout and was going to go with a compact cassette toilet. I haven't used a black tank and only have experience with my current cassette. I'm thinking that maybe I should use a black tank this time. The older I get the heavier my sh*t seems. It would be nice not to have to haul the full cassette to the toilet after an long trip.

Since no RV manufactures make my idea plan; Travato 59G/AKTIV front and Zion SRT rear I will get one made. I use the van for road trips and HD runs also so I don't want a B van that looks like a RV. This means an inside cassette door or an 3 inch dump hopefully under the van. Do I have to have a 3 inch 90 degree sewer pipe hanging off the bottom? Can't I just have a 3 inch flange pointed down?

When I build my retirement house in about 5 years I plan top have a 3 inch cleanout installed in the driveway. Until then I can use a portable cassette type tote to empty my tank.

I attached my layout hoping to get some feedback. The only thing I've ordered so far are the Transit and the 2 person seat.

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: png transit1.png (257.5 KB, 48 views)

jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I think directing the 3 outlet down is OK but what will you do with the blade valve, they all have to be in line downward for a successful gravity drain.

I would consider use of a macerator pump or 2 pumps. Smaller diameter hose, design freedom for toilet/tank(s) locations and easier dumping. A macerator toilet will facilitate good distribution of solids in the black tank and if designed well it could allow a smaller diameter gravity drain if output macerator pump failed. But, it is way more complex than a cassette toilet.

GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
jon
Platinum Member

I thought about using a macerating toilet, but with my luck it would decide not to work at the most inopportune time.

Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing. Maybe I should stick to the tried and never failed cassette toilet.....
Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Have you considered a composting toilet? urine and solids are separated. You dump the urine from a small bottle during your trip. I've never used one, but it might save you weight at the end of your trip.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
Have you considered a composting toilet? urine and solids are separated. You dump the urine from a small bottle during your trip. I've never used one, but it might save you weight at the end of your trip.
I'm afraid to try one of those. I have a powered vent on my cassette that turns on whenever the flapper is opened so there are absolutely no smells. I rented a class b that didn't have a vented toilet and the whole van smelled like toilet chemicals all weekend. I worry that a composting one would somehow smell similar.

At least using the trusted cassette I can clean it out after every trip and have NO bathroom smells during the week when my B van is my car.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I'm afraid to try one of those. I have a powered vent on my cassette that turns on whenever the flapper is opened so there are absolutely no smells. I rented a class b that had a no vented toilet and the whole thing smelled like toilet chemicals all weekend. I worry that a composting one would somehow smell similar.

At least using the trusted cassette I can clean it out after every trip and have NO bathroom smells during the week when my B van is my car.
I don't have one and have only read about them. They say that the separation makes a big difference in the smell. A properly installed one will have a vent.
https://natureshead.net/faqs/
Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
I don't have one and have only read about them. They say that the separation makes a big difference in the smell. A properly installed one will have a vent.
https://natureshead.net/faqs/
What happens if you have Diarrhea?? Hard to separate.
Nothing against composting toilets, but not for me.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
What happens if you have Diarrhea?? Hard to separate then. No thanks.
I think that can be an issue.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I just spent part of the afternoon researching toilets for my next build. After reading and watching the good and bad of composting and cassette toilets - I'm staying with a black tank like I have now. With a macerator dumping my tanks is a none issue. In a pinch I've even dumped into a 5 gallon pail and then into a toilet at home. No worse than a cassette.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:11 AM   #10
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I just spent part of the afternoon researching toilets for my next build. After reading and watching the good and bad of composting and cassette toilets - I'm staying with a black tank like I have now. With a macerator dumping my tanks is a none issue. In a pinch I've even dumped into a 5 gallon pail and then into a toilet at home. No worse than a cassette.
Your staying with a black tank because you're used to it.....The thought of a macerator for dumping appeals to me....but I'm used to a cassette so that's what I keep sticking with. I think I would be fine with either.