Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
jon
Platinum Member

Default This again. Sorry - Cassette or Black Tank

I'm finalizing my transit B layout and was going to go with a compact cassette toilet. I haven't used a black tank and only have experience with my current cassette. I'm thinking that maybe I should use a black tank this time. The older I get the heavier my sh*t seems. It would be nice not to have to haul the full cassette to the toilet after an long trip.

Since no RV manufactures make my idea plan; Travato 59G/AKTIV front and Zion SRT rear I will get one made. I use the van for road trips and HD runs also so I don't want a B van that looks like a RV. This means an inside cassette door or an 3 inch dump hopefully under the van. Do I have to have a 3 inch 90 degree sewer pipe hanging off the bottom? Can't I just have a 3 inch flange pointed down?

When I build my retirement house in about 5 years I plan top have a 3 inch cleanout installed in the driveway. Until then I can use a portable cassette type tote to empty my tank.

I attached my layout hoping to get some feedback. The only thing I've ordered so far are the Transit and the 2 person seat.

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: png transit1.png (257.5 KB, 60 views)
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I think directing the 3” outlet down is OK but what will you do with the blade valve, they all have to be in line downward for a successful gravity drain.

I would consider use of a macerator pump or 2 pumps. Smaller diameter hose, design freedom for toilet/tank(s) locations and easier dumping. A macerator toilet will facilitate good distribution of solids in the black tank and if designed well it could allow a smaller diameter gravity drain if output macerator pump failed. But, it is way more complex than a cassette toilet.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
jon
Platinum Member

I thought about using a macerating toilet, but with my luck it would decide not to work at the most inopportune time.

Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing. Maybe I should stick to the tried and never failed cassette toilet.....
Old 07-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Have you considered a composting toilet? urine and solids are separated. You dump the urine from a small bottle during your trip. I've never used one, but it might save you weight at the end of your trip.
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:00 PM   #5
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
Have you considered a composting toilet? urine and solids are separated. You dump the urine from a small bottle during your trip. I've never used one, but it might save you weight at the end of your trip.
I'm afraid to try one of those. I have a powered vent on my cassette that turns on whenever the flapper is opened so there are absolutely no smells. I rented a class b that didn't have a vented toilet and the whole van smelled like toilet chemicals all weekend. I worry that a composting one would somehow smell similar.

At least using the trusted cassette I can clean it out after every trip and have NO bathroom smells during the week when my B van is my car.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
I'm afraid to try one of those. I have a powered vent on my cassette that turns on whenever the flapper is opened so there are absolutely no smells. I rented a class b that had a no vented toilet and the whole thing smelled like toilet chemicals all weekend. I worry that a composting one would somehow smell similar.

At least using the trusted cassette I can clean it out after every trip and have NO bathroom smells during the week when my B van is my car.
I don't have one and have only read about them. They say that the separation makes a big difference in the smell. A properly installed one will have a vent.
https://natureshead.net/faqs/
Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #7
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
I don't have one and have only read about them. They say that the separation makes a big difference in the smell. A properly installed one will have a vent.
https://natureshead.net/faqs/
What happens if you have Diarrhea?? Hard to separate.
Nothing against composting toilets, but not for me.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
What happens if you have Diarrhea?? Hard to separate then. No thanks.
I think that can be an issue.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I just spent part of the afternoon researching toilets for my next build. After reading and watching the good and bad of composting and cassette toilets - I'm staying with a black tank like I have now. With a macerator dumping my tanks is a none issue. In a pinch I've even dumped into a 5 gallon pail and then into a toilet at home. No worse than a cassette.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:11 AM   #10
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I just spent part of the afternoon researching toilets for my next build. After reading and watching the good and bad of composting and cassette toilets - I'm staying with a black tank like I have now. With a macerator dumping my tanks is a none issue. In a pinch I've even dumped into a 5 gallon pail and then into a toilet at home. No worse than a cassette.
Your staying with a black tank because you're used to it.....The thought of a macerator for dumping appeals to me....but I'm used to a cassette so that's what I keep sticking with. I think I would be fine with either.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your staying with a black tank because you're used to it.....The thought of a macerator for dumping appeals to me....but I'm used to a cassette so that's what I keep sticking with. I think I would be fine with either.
You are right I'll stay with my black tank and you can stay with your cassette.

The only positve review of a cassette I found was from the Russo's who said they only use it for pee.

If you want a funny review of the cassette check out this review from FitRV, punch line near the end.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Question: how many gallons of black can a cassette for a B hold?
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #13
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
Question: how many gallons of black can a cassette for a B hold?
About 5 gallons
Old 07-29-2018, 12:00 AM   #14
Platinum Member

So, that is about 42 pounds plus the weight of the cassette. The entire filled to capacity cassette would then weigh about 50 pounds. I would think that would be a consideration and if you limited the carry weight by emptying it half full it would only hold 2-3 gallons.

I have no familiarity with these and am fascinated by the concept. Thanks.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:24 AM   #15
jon
Platinum Member

The heavy cassette is one reason I'm thinking to go with a black tank on my next B. I just don't want a big 3 inch fitting hanging on the side of my passenger van. I'm just trying to figure out how to hide it or just go with another cassette with the door hidden inside.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:03 AM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
The heavy cassette is one reason I'm thinking to go with a black tank on my next B. I just don't want a big 3 inch fitting hanging on the side of my passenger van. I'm just trying to figure out how to hide it or just go with another cassette with the door hidden inside.

Who pays attention to the fittings underneath.
Most people won't even notice.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:59 AM   #17
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Who pays attention to the fittings underneath.
Most people won't even notice.
I care.
My current campervan:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg van.jpg (213.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
You are right I'll stay with my black tank and you can stay with your cassette.

The only positve review of a cassette I found was from the Russo's who said they only use it for pee.

If you want a funny review of the cassette check out this review from FitRV, punch line near the end.

Fit RV video is about Porta-Patti toilet they called Cassette toilet, it is a review of a Porta-Patti.

Here are some of the differences:

- Cassette toilet are permanently mounted, Porta-Patties are portable

- To access the black tank in Porta-Patties the upper water container (4 gal.) needs to be removed; to access a cassette just open a side door.

- Most cassette toilets have ventilation provision, vents to cassettes open-up automatically during cassettes insertion like on my Thetford 402C. Porta-Patties are sealed, if internal pressure is higher than ambient they will stink and a liquid can shoot-out during opening.

- Portable-patties black tank container have no wheels.

There are comments on the Fit RV video pointing to review of a Porta-Patti toilet versus a Cassette toilet but were dismissed claiming no difference. Like, Yugo is like Chevy, has 5 rotating wheels, 4 on the ground and one in your hands, so, no difference.

Seems as a very naïve advertising for a composting toilet, or should I say a limited performance liquid from solids separating apparatus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Portpotti.jpg (60.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Cassette.jpg (56.4 KB, 14 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #19
jon
Platinum Member

Forget about installing a macerator pump, although I would probably need to a new disposal. I don't think I could get away with borrowing from the kitchen:
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #20
Platinum Member

2013 Sprinter homebrew.

My wife and I have a Thetford curve and we really like it. However, what is right for us, may not be right for you. Your bowel habits may differ.

Since we are in a confined space, and the toilet is not enclosed, we have adopted a #1 only rule as well. Since we always stay at campgrounds or State parks with toilets, if an urgent situation arrived in the middle of the night (taco Tuesdays, for example) we make the trip to the bath house out of respect for each other.

After visiting all 48 conus since 2013 and over 50,000 miles, the number of late night trips for a #2 was less than 3 (and they were all mine!)

The key to any cassette toilet is frequent dumpings. Don't wait until you get to 5 gallons. 2-3 is ideal for us; however, we are 67 years old.

Since we are a "liquid only" user, we found that we can cut the amount of chemical additives to half of the recommended, and probably could go less. Never had an odor issue.

One thing not mentioned, is the extra weight of tank, pumps, hoses and valves. Our Sprinter high roof, extended body on a 2500 chassis is pretty close to the maximum weight after our conversion and the cassette toilet saved us a few pounds.

The Thetford is easy to remove and fastens securely to the floor. Winterization is easy....remove and store in a heated area.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote