Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
In my experience I wasn't seeing where no financing would be more $$. I did expect my local dealer to match the price on an order and was surprised they didn't. Cash deal, no carrying costs, all done on the phone.....would have been another sale but "no dice".

So my local guy who always orders "propane" wouldn't take my money for the same price as a guy who was 1,200 miles away with one on his lot.
Yeah. I am not at all surprised by them linking a lowball price to financing, but the unwillingness to discount factory orders puzzles me, for the reasons you state. I guess the immediate pain of the carrying costs of all those poorly-chosen rigs sitting in the lot overwhelms their financial rationality. And, I get the impression that build "slots" are seen as a scarce commodity in the industry.

I strongly agree that one should be very willing to call around and take the best deal, wherever in the country it is found. This is especially true with a factory order, where you can't inspect the unit prior to delivery no matter where you buy it. This is certainly how I buy new cars these days. Just had one trucked 600 miles to my front door 5 days after placing the order, saving $4,500 over my best local option, and getting exactly what I wanted.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Avanti's description was what happened when we bought new in NC and titled in GA many years ago. More recently when buying in TX and PA and titling in CO we weren't taxed by the other states. So yes, it varies, but we have never been double taxed that I recall.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Every state is subtly different, but as I understand it, the general pattern is that the state of residence will credit any tax you may have been required to pay to the state of sale. So, you end up paying whichever amount is larger, but you are not double-taxed.
Yes, that's what happened to us. That's why I said to figure it into the sales price. If your state charges 5% and the state where you buy it charges 6%, you need to factor that extra 1% into your rig-vs-rig price comparison.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Platinum Member

We bought our B in Ohio and picked it up in Ohio but paid the Minnesota sales tax and no Ohio sales tax.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
It never occurred to me that a new vehicle might have to be taxed, titled, and licensed in its state of origin. And then the buyer goes through the process all over again upon returning home? Yikes. What a pain.
Typically, you get a temporary transit permit from the dealer and are not charged sales tax at the selling point. You pay it at the applicable rate when you register the vehicle at your residence. Even if you did pay sales tax at the purchase point, when subsequently registering in your state, you get credit for previous sales taxes against the tax imposed by your state. If you paid 6% at the sales point and your registration state charges 8% you only pay the net of 2%. However, if you pay 8% at the sales point but only have to pay 6% at the registration point, while you are relieved of paying any sales tax, you don't have anyway of retrieving the 2% difference.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yeah. I am not at all surprised by them linking a lowball price to financing, but the unwillingness to discount factory orders puzzles me, for the reasons you state. I guess the immediate pain of the carrying costs of all those poorly-chosen rigs sitting in the lot overwhelms their financial rationality. And, I get the impression that build "slots" are seen as a scarce commodity in the industry.

When we were looking at Roadtreks in 2007 timeframe, the local dealers at the time would not discount a factory order at all. It was much cheaper to get one off the lot fully loaded than to order on then. It struck us a really dumb, and didn't by until they had on in stock that was really marked down, as their Roadtrek dealership was getting pulled.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:46 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We bought our B in Ohio and picked it up in Ohio but paid the Minnesota sales tax and no Ohio sales tax.
I think your experience is the general case with the exception of California that extracts sales tax from you unless the coach is physically delivered outside the state. What adds insult to injury is that CA sales tax is prohibitive, ranging anywhere from 8.5 - 9.75% whereas most other states have significantly lower sales tax rates. The icing on the CA insult cake is that you can't offset the taxable purchase price with the value of a trade in on which sales tax has already been paid.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:57 PM   #28
BBQ
Platinum Member

Different states have different laws.

Not all of them are user friendly.

Paperwork When Buying a Car Out of State
https://www.dmv.org/buy-sell/used-ca...ying-a-car.php