Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Thor moterhome

What is the difference between the compass and the Gemini?
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #2
Platinum Member

nothing;

thor like many rv makers sells the same rv under different nameplates to avoid non compete rules with dealers
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc1977 View Post
What is the difference between the compass and the Gemini?
Supposedly just sold in different geographic areas. You won't see both in the same areas. At least according to Thor when we were looking at them. They are also not a class B. They are a class C. A Class C is a cab chassis with coach built on to it and Class B is a complete van body with the coach built in the confines of the body.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:02 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Are you saying a pleasure way is a class c, it has its own body on different chassis. There
Is a few class bs with moulded fiberglass bodies and b+ like Leisure craft but they started
Out with as a class b
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Gold Member

Any RV that uses just a cab chassis and the motorhome is built on it , is a class C.
There is not a class B+ recognized by RVIA it's a made up class to try and sell a C as a different image to the customer.
The only classes of RV's recognized by RVIA which certifies motorhomes are A, B, and C class. No super C or B+. The super C and B+ are made up by sales and dealers. Now some manufacturers are calling them that but again are not recognized by RVIA.
I've been in the business over 30+ years. The best one I ever heard was a saleswoman last year telling me a class C BT Cruiser was a class B because it had a B in the model name.
So I guess that means our Rialta RD222 is either a class D or a class R by her description.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The boxy BT Cruiser at 32 ft. long is the biggest abuser of the classification system.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
Silver Member

Pleasure Way makes both Class B and Class C motorhomes, though they prefer the term B+ instead of Class C. The Plateau XLMB, XLTS, and XLTD are all Class C vehicles, using the Sprinter Cab chassis and a big fiberglass box attached to it. They are relatively short for a Class C, being 22' 9" long, and they don't overhang the frame rails at all. That, and the lack of over-cab bed facilities make it belong to the marketing class of "B+", though technically no such class officially exists. All of their other products are Class B vans. They are allowed to modify the body with cutouts, like the top for the Tofino, and the windows for all of the Promaster based vans, as there are no passenger vans available here from Promaster, only cargo vans. However, the bodies are relatively intact, and that's what makes them Class B vans. Of note, the Roadtrek Popular 210 is also technically a Class C, though it looks like a Class B. The "widebody" is accomplished by a larger fiberglass box attached to a Chevy cab chassis, but it is styled to look like an intact van, and has a very low roofline, like the other Popular models. However, it is 88 inches wide, and that can only be accomplished with Class C construction. Since the Chevy vans all had fiberglass roof caps to allow adequate standing room, it was easy for them to make it look like the smaller Chevies, but it's really a small Class C, and even has some limited exterior storage because of this construction.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #8

This is very interesting to me. Do any of the other makers of these “newer style Class C’s” use a complete fiberglass box ? I assume the cheaper ones are rubber roofed.
We have been shopping Class B’s but the small bathrooms & tank sizes may be a factor.

Thanks much
Murf
Murf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Silver Member

The cheaper ones rarely discuss construction, for good reason. The Leisure Travel Vans Serenity and some of the Phoenix C's, and possibly some ot the coach House C's have a one piece shell. The others are multi-piece, but the roof material usually isn't discussed, that I've seen. But when it's one piece, they definitely let you know. That's the primary reason the Serenity is more expensive than the Unity and Wonders, even though the design and layout is older and less innovative.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Marketing gimmicks..... yuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1998RD View Post
Any RV that uses just a cab chassis and the motorhome is built on it , is a class C.
There is not a class B+ recognized by RVIA it's a made up class to try and sell a C as a different image to the customer.
The only classes of RV's recognized by RVIA which certifies motorhomes are A, B, and C class. No super C or B+. The super C and B+ are made up by sales and dealers. Now some manufacturers are calling them that but again are not recognized by RVIA.
I've been in the business over 30+ years. The best one I ever heard was a saleswoman last year telling me a class C BT Cruiser was a class B because it had a B in the model name.
So I guess that means our Rialta RD222 is either a class D or a class R by her description.
Sale people will say anything... that's why there's so many jokes about people selling "used cars"....the woman who said that it's a "B"... because it has a ""B" in the model name should be "FIRED"... what a load of crap.

There's no such thing as a B plus, Super C or anything else people just make up....

There's only 3 classes of RVs. A, B, and C. That's it, period.

I found this for you online;

"What distinguishes a Class C motorhome from a Class B is that in the former case only the Cab section and underlying frame and running gear come from the vehicle manufacturer. Whereas in the Class B it is the entire vehicle. Inside a Class B and a Class C vehicle may look very similar; however the interior width of a Class B is limited by the basic width of the van chassis. So in general, for a given overall vehicle length, a Class C is more spacious because the coach section of the RV is wider than the cab."

I believe that your VW Rialta is registered as a Class C... and the vehicle registration is the only definitive answer ..
Not some sales person telling you what you want to hear.. ..
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

"There's only 3 classes of RVs. A, B, and C. That's it, period."

Those are the only three Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) classes. They are marketing terms used to distinguish products market niche and compare apples to apples in reporting. As far as I know, no state uses those for registration purposes.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote