Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #1

Default Thoughts on Camping World as a dealer

Hello All,
I was hoping to gain your input on Camping World as a Class B dealer. After considering floorplans and options, the Travato 59G floorplan on the Promaster chassis suits our needs the best, but the only dealers within 350 miles that have this model are Camping World locations. I have read reviews focused at specific locations, but there are enough to raise concerns over associating with them in any manner, aside from the accessory/retail component. Could anyone provide feedback as to their experiences with CW for sales or service, whether good or bad? I greatly appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Jeff
Lostwolfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:03 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello Jeff, I probably shouldn't be responding, as I have never bought - not come close to buying an RV from CW.

Having said that when we travel to teh US we often browse through their retail stores when we come across one to see what gadgets might be new and interesting - usually there I rarely buy anything as I find their prices higher than I can find elsewhere. It is a bit better now that Good Sam members get the CW club discount.

However being a long time RV'er, I have read many many stories of service issues that fellow RV'ers have had with the company in terms of quality of service - enough to
believe the old adage about no smoke without fire!

As well there are many youtube videos that have stories to tell about RV sales methods
CW uses.

As example .....

Mind you I think tis one s from another RV dealer so may have an axe to grind.

When starting to shop for a "B" last winter we happened to stop in at a Camping World just because they had a model I was considering - in fact, a Travato.

We were not so much as allowed to look at it without filling out forms, contact info etc. And it did seem as though the expectation was we would be buying that day and I did not get a good feeling about the process that seemed like the start of a well practiced routine!

In any event, we did get to see the Travato - then left quickly before the screws got turned tighter- the salesman already had insisted that we had to be introduced to his manager. Luckily he couldn't free him up right away so we were able to make an excuse that we couldn't wait and might have to return later!

Our dealings with a smaller RV dealer near our home felt much better and we did buy a "B!".

Perhaps I was too pre-conditioned about CW from the various RV forum posts I had read and videos I had seen!

I'll be interested to see what responses you get - perhaps I have a skewed impression that isn't justified and as mentioned I have never bought an RV from CW.
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I would never purchase a RV, nor have one serviced thru Camping World, predicated on all the info out there for the consumer to read. You mention the 350 mile range, look out further and find a Dealer with a reputation for great sales and standing behind his products with excellent service. Since you know what your looking for, go online to Van City, St. Louis (they have about four places around the country), Sunshine State RV in FL, or wherever you find the vehicle. i know that Van City and Sunshine State at one time paid for your flight down if you purchased. Ron
Old 02-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Bronze Member

I had a great experience at CW when I purchased my 2019 Travato G. The only very small issue was when I made my offer they wanted me to finance the van in order to get the deal I proposed. As soon we closed and the first payment came in, I paid it off.
I think I received a decent deal. 30% off MSRP. As for service, I’ve no issues. They have made quick warranty repairs in the small tweaks I’ve needed. It was worth buying local in order to have the services. Maybe my local CW is one of the better ones. Good luck!
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie1 View Post
I had a great experience at CW when I purchased my 2019 Travato G. The only very small issue was when I made my offer they wanted me to finance the van in order to get the deal I proposed. As soon we closed and the first payment came in, I paid it off.
I think I received a decent deal. 30% off MSRP. As for service, I’ve no issues. They have made quick warranty repairs in the small tweaks I’ve needed. It was worth buying local in order to have the services. Maybe my local CW is one of the better ones. Good luck!
Sounds good - I had a financing deal like that when we bought a new GMC diesel truck some years ago.

I wanted to pay cash, but was told that if I financed the truck I would get a considerably better price, and that I could pay off the whole loan when the first payment was due without any loan interest or cancellation charges.

I wasn't thrilled about it, as it seemed to me I was taking out the loan under false pretences and it wasn't really right for the finance company.

Anyway I let them talk me into it, and it worked out just as they said!
Still seemed like "Sharp practice" to me though!
Old 02-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #6

Hi; before our B we had a new class A purchased at camping world. During the cleanup readying stage they cut the floor with the fold-out couch and glued it back. When we picked up the new A the tech stood on the cut so as not to be seen. The first and only service at camping world (a different location), I was getting an oil change and tires aired up before going out for several months. Got several hundred miles down the road and checked the tire pressure only to find that they were dangerously low.
Rlbccb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I can't talk about CW, but can share our buying experience. Our nearest Crossfit dealer was 350 miles away so I checked prices on RVT.com and RVTrader, and factored in the cost of airfare, then bought 800 miles away. We were planning on camping in the thing anyway so no big deal to fly and buy.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I would avoid Camping World. Another option is Lichtsinn RV which is next to the Winnebago factory in Iowa. (which is darn close to Wisconsin) Their website has lots of good videos of the various options.

Standard discount on Winnebago is 25-30% off MSRP, but it can be tough to calculate what the actual MSRP is. LOL
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
Silver Member

Lichtsinn RV is an excellent place to buy a Travato. Many folks also like Lewis RV in Dayton OH. Good Luck and check out the Travato Facebook pages for great info.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 AM   #10

Camping world shopping in their stores has been good for us for years, and they were the only people who would do a quote on our wrecked RV without $500 non-refundable payment! We shopped them for a new RV and they were super friendly (Santa Clarita, CA location) and no paper work involved and provided lots of info on their models. Sadly they didn't have anything close to the B that we wanted. I also didn't feel like there was any pressure involved, if anything, I thot it interesting that there was no after visit follow up. So maybe there are great differences between CW locations??
CrossfitPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #11

This is all great information, thank you for the responses. We have been considering going to Ohio, just as mumkin and Firesteel mentioned, and having recommendations on Lichtsinn and Lewis RV helps immensely. Thank you for the input everyone!
Lostwolfak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #12

I can't speak for their sales, but I can speak to their service.
I purchased my previous motorhome from a respected dealer near Richmond, VA. CW bought the dealership in late 2017. I had an issue with a broken ac in 2018. I called to schedule service and was told my appointment would be 6 weeks out and to drop off the unit so they could take the next 2 weeks in determine the problem. I explained that I had purchased the unit their and don't they provide better service for previous customers? Their response was no. First come, first serve whether you bought it here or not. I contacted a mobile RV technician who replaced the damaged fan in one hour.
Having been a CW member for over 20 years, I regret saying that CW is now all about $$$ not customer service.
dorauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #13

No comment on CW, but once ran into a similar finance issue on a Tractor. 0 down 0 interest. No discount for cash. Took the deal. Put the cash in a interstate bearing acoount & set up automatic payments from account to finance company. Interest earned was my discount.
OldKansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostwolfak View Post
Hello All,
I was hoping to gain your input on Camping World as a Class B dealer. After considering floorplans and options, the Travato 59G floorplan on the Promaster chassis suits our needs the best, but the only dealers within 350 miles that have this model are Camping World locations. I have read reviews focused at specific locations, but there are enough to raise concerns over associating with them in any manner, aside from the accessory/retail component. Could anyone provide feedback as to their experiences with CW for sales or service, whether good or bad? I greatly appreciate your input.
Thank you,
Jeff
I wouldn't even think about purchasing an RV from Camping World. I've heard WAY too many complaints from those that have bought from CW, both prior and post sale.
My own personal business with them has always been less than satisfactory for one thing or another. The store staff always comes across as they are doing you a favor by even talking to them.
RLB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Here you can form an opinion of "The boss!"

Funny guy - but would I buy an RV?
Old 02-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #16
Bronze Member

My insurance agent purchased a travel trailer from the Camping World located in Wentzville, MO. As the result of her experience there at the service department, particularly their lack of knowledge and ability to solve any of the warranty issues, she told me that she would not recommend to anyone to purchase from CW. Her travel trailer sat at CW several months with no resolution of the issues. Finally, the manufacturer of the travel trailer told her to go to another local RV dealer where the issues were promptly resolved.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
Silver Member

We did buy our used Pleasure-Way from Camping World in Mesa, Arizona. Great experience. However, we have had bad service experiences with Camping World too. It may depend on the location as with any large chain.
Ray B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 AM   #18
Platinum Member

Every time I ever dealt with Camping World to include numerous friends, it ended up as a nightmare. Their sales guys are bag boys or right out of Mc Donald's and know absolutely nothing about RV's. When customers buy a coach they do no prep and or even try the coach out. All they want to do is get you off the lot and let you deal with their Goofy service department. Unless you really have your act together to work your way though buying the coach and answering all your own questions, I would look elsewhere.

Regards - Mike
IdleUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:36 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostwolfak View Post
Hello All,
Thank you,
Jeff
Bought my Pleasure Way from the CW in New Braunfels, TX...Had an issue w/ the lady who showed me the workings didn’t tell me how to disconnect the battery, so it was killed in a couple of days..I had to call Pleasure Way in Canada to figure it out..CW wouldn’t let me get a copy of all the tests they had run before they sold it to me, either. That being said, I do like the Class B I got, had been looking a while for one..
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:39 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

I'll throw another top notch experience for Lichtsinn. We've bought 2 class Bs there, the latest being a 2019 Travato K. Excellent experiences on both, and while you are up there, you might arrange a tour of the plants...
Lewis also has a great reputation...So does Colonial RV over east

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote