Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #41
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 457
Default

It is ILLEGAL to sell anything other than B20 for road vehicles in Minnesota, except in winter. But yes, if you want to burn home fuel oil in your rig you can find it.
__________________

RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #42
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossWilliams View Post
It is ILLEGAL to sell anything other than B20 for road vehicles in Minnesota, except in winter. But yes, if you want to burn home fuel oil in your rig you can find it.
Yes, that’s what I said. But only Minnesota.

The MB document is a masterwork of prevarication
__________________

__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #43
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 85
Default

Talking about B20, I just listened to this yesterday (check around 10:25 into video):


https://leisurevans.com/serenity/vid...eid=29655fa2be


Dean mentions that the new engine handles B20. I have not found any other source that goes into details. Is this just the same as now, meaning the engine can take B20 but just don't do it as a normal practice.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #44
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 4
Default Winnebago ERA is the way to go

The Winnebago ERA is 10's of thousands cheaper and yet has quality far superior to the three models you mentioned. Ask me how I know. Your going to pay well over a $120K for something that isn't worth more then $80K to begin with.
ClassB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #45
Platinum Member
 
Boxster1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
Talking about B20, I just listened to this yesterday (check around 10:25 into video): ...
...
Dean mentions that the new engine handles B20. I have not found any other source that goes into details. Is this just the same as now, meaning the engine can take B20 but just don't do it as a normal practice.
That might be a 2019 Serenity, but it is built on a 2018 Sprinter. The 2018 Sprinter owners manual still has same cautions about using B20. But the wording has changed (see attached) to face the realities of B20 in USA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (89.8 KB, 18 views)
__________________
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter 3500 170Ext
Formerly: 1973 Dodge B300 DIY pop-top conversion
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:16 AM   #46
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 75
Default

Actually, if I was going to buy a (non-custom OEM) Sprinter class B today, it would be a Coachmen Galleria, mainly for their build quality and the Li3 battery/electrical system. PleasureWay would be my 2nd choice, for their superior build quality. Roadtrek's build quality is garbage in recent years. I wouldn't even consider them, especially given the fraud that has occurred at the company.
dhectorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #47
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 45
Default

We love our Ascent. Never had a problem finding B5 diesel, but we have not taken it further West than Missouri.

Since you are 6'3", I strongly recommend trying out all the beds in the fully down position. You may find the Ascent bed a little short. Don't know about the other two.
__________________
Manx
2017 Pleasure-Way Ascent
Manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #48
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 17
Default

I thought I'd revisit this topic and chime in with what we decided. It was a very interesting process, complicated in so small part by all of the goings-on with Roadtrek/EHGNA. Ultimately I decided on the Ascent. Finding one that I could buy and have in time for our Summer plans was a challenge, I ended up having to buy from a dealer many states away, but I'm very happy with my decision.

Here's how I ended up there:
We drove a 2019 Roadtrek Agile at my local dealer. Liked it a lot, but once we had decided that we needed the Sprinter chassis, I felt that we should be getting the benefits of Mercedes' safety options (blind spot assist, lane keeping, collision avoidance), which are an option package that's less than $2K additional on the Sprinter chassis. Seems like a no-brainer considering you're already having to pay $35K more than a comparable Promaster-based RV. But the one we drove didn't have that package, nor did the others available at other dealers within a few hundred miles of us. The only ones that did were the Agile 4x4 models, which would add another $9,000 to the price for an option we had no need of.

That lead me to look at the other manufacturers who build on the short Sprinter chassis. We quickly ruled out the Winnebego Revel and its off-road focus. That left us with the three models I posted this thread about. As I noted early, I ruled out the Airstream Interstate 19 after seeing it in person because it's really short on storage space. It's beautiful, and if it had the same storage as the Ascent, I may have sprung for it despite the high cost. So it was down to Ascent vs. Agile.

The Ascent won in most categories for us. I like the layout better, the lighting and control panel is better, and the overall level of quality just seemed much higher. And of course the manufacturer isn't in limbo in terms of their future. In the Agile's corner was higher specs for the battery/solar, an interior design that we actually liked a bit better, and their bed is spec'ed at 3 inches longer. That last part might have been enough to tilt us toward the Agile. The bed on the Ascent is too short for my 6-3 frame to fit comfortably without angling myself so that my feet can hang off in the middle portion of the bed. If those extra 3" the Agile claims to have would have allowed me to fit more comfortably, it might have won out. But when I tried it, it didn't really feel all that different. If those 3" were real and not a difference in how they measure, then it wasn't enough to make a difference. Once I had tried both beds within 30 minute of each other, the choice of the Ascent was an easy one.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and to a number of other threads on this forum that have discussed these models and Roadtrek and Pleasure-Way in general. It was enormously helpful and I feel so much more confident in this major purchase than I would have without all these valuable insights. I'll do my best to pay it back with contributions of my own.
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #49
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
I thought I'd revisit this topic and chime in with what we decided. It was a very interesting process, complicated in so small part by all of the goings-on with Roadtrek/EHGNA. Ultimately I decided on the Ascent. Finding one that I could buy and have in time for our Summer plans was a challenge, I ended up having to buy from a dealer many states away, but I'm very happy with my decision.

Here's how I ended up there:
We drove a 2019 Roadtrek Agile at my local dealer. Liked it a lot, but once we had decided that we needed the Sprinter chassis, I felt that we should be getting the benefits of Mercedes' safety options (blind spot assist, lane keeping, collision avoidance), which are an option package that's less than $2K additional on the Sprinter chassis. Seems like a no-brainer considering you're already having to pay $35K more than a comparable Promaster-based RV. But the one we drove didn't have that package, nor did the others available at other dealers within a few hundred miles of us. The only ones that did were the Agile 4x4 models, which would add another $9,000 to the price for an option we had no need of.

That lead me to look at the other manufacturers who build on the short Sprinter chassis. We quickly ruled out the Winnebego Revel and its off-road focus. That left us with the three models I posted this thread about. As I noted early, I ruled out the Airstream Interstate 19 after seeing it in person because it's really short on storage space. It's beautiful, and if it had the same storage as the Ascent, I may have sprung for it despite the high cost. So it was down to Ascent vs. Agile.

The Ascent won in most categories for us. I like the layout better, the lighting and control panel is better, and the overall level of quality just seemed much higher. And of course the manufacturer isn't in limbo in terms of their future. In the Agile's corner was higher specs for the battery/solar, an interior design that we actually liked a bit better, and their bed is spec'ed at 3 inches longer. That last part might have been enough to tilt us toward the Agile. The bed on the Ascent is too short for my 6-3 frame to fit comfortably without angling myself so that my feet can hang off in the middle portion of the bed. If those extra 3" the Agile claims to have would have allowed me to fit more comfortably, it might have won out. But when I tried it, it didn't really feel all that different. If those 3" were real and not a difference in how they measure, then it wasn't enough to make a difference. Once I had tried both beds within 30 minute of each other, the choice of the Ascent was an easy one.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and to a number of other threads on this forum that have discussed these models and Roadtrek and Pleasure-Way in general. It was enormously helpful and I feel so much more confident in this major purchase than I would have without all these valuable insights. I'll do my best to pay it back with contributions of my own.
Congratulations! The Ascent is really nice. We ended up buying a 2017 RT Agile and have been really happy with our choice (wanted all electric/diesel and the dealers are closer for service 1 hour vs. 5 hours). Interesting that the 2019 RT Agile's dont have the MB safety features. Our Agile has the features (blind spot assist, lane assist, etc.). Surprised to hear the 2019's didn't. Have fun and enjoy the new van!
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #50
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: WA
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
Congratulations! The Ascent is really nice. We ended up buying a 2017 RT Agile and have been really happy with our choice (wanted all electric/diesel and the dealers are closer for service 1 hour vs. 5 hours). Interesting that the 2019 RT Agile's dont have the MB safety features. Our Agile has the features (blind spot assist, lane assist, etc.). Surprised to hear the 2019's didn't. Have fun and enjoy the new van!
Some 2019's do have those features, others do not. I was really surprised to learn this. As I looked around at new Agile inventory around the country via RVT, I could see that all of the 4x4 models had the safety features, while most of the 2WD models did not. But I did find a handful of 2019's that did have them. It's easy to tell because the package that includes those features also includes steering wheel controls for the audio and bluetooth. The ones without that package have a plain steering wheel.

What I found bothersome is that Roadtrek's pricing was no different. They don't show this package as an option at all, and the MSRP sheets reflect the same base price whether or not the safety features are included. My guess is that they baked the cost of this option package into their pricing for all of their Sprinter models, and either because of supply issues with Mercedes or simply to cut their costs, they started building Agiles on the base chassis. Regardless of the reason, I think it's pretty lame that they are pricing them the same and not passing at least some of the savings to their customers. Had I not done my research, I'd have never realized that I would be getting less for the same price than buyers in other locales for the same product.
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #51
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
Some 2019's do have those features, others do not. I was really surprised to learn this. As I looked around at new Agile inventory around the country via RVT, I could see that all of the 4x4 models had the safety features, while most of the 2WD models did not. But I did find a handful of 2019's that did have them. It's easy to tell because the package that includes those features also includes steering wheel controls for the audio and bluetooth. The ones without that package have a plain steering wheel.

What I found bothersome is that Roadtrek's pricing was no different. They don't show this package as an option at all, and the MSRP sheets reflect the same base price whether or not the safety features are included. My guess is that they baked the cost of this option package into their pricing for all of their Sprinter models, and either because of supply issues with Mercedes or simply to cut their costs, they started building Agiles on the base chassis. Regardless of the reason, I think it's pretty lame that they are pricing them the same and not passing at least some of the savings to their customers. Had I not done my research, I'd have never realized that I would be getting less for the same price than buyers in other locales for the same product.
It is surprising. I wonder if it was a van shortage issue as you mentioned. I thought all RT Sprinters had the same features so surprised to see they were different. We ordered one of the last RT's that were available with specific options before the "package" ordering that was setup. For instance, I have 4 AGM batteries, diesel Alde, underhood generator, spare tire underneath, and NO volt start. I am really glad we have the setup that we have and were told we were the last to not have volt start. I am glad with the current RT company issues that we don't have their proprietary lithiums or volt start.

Anyway, I wonder if other changes were made to how they order vans and options that are different from when we ordered. I do really like having the blind spot assist. I turn the lane assist off but the blind spot assist is great. One thing that was rare on our van as well is that we have the factory high idle adjustment button. Its great for adjusting to a high idle to charge the batteries or run the roof top AC when not plugged in.
__________________

Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pleas, roadtrek agile

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×