Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #1

Default Thoughts on Roadtrek vs. Pleasure Way vs. Airstream Sprinter models?

I'm a first time RV buyer and would love to hear any thoughts on these three makers. After a good deal of research and visits to dealers, we're down to the Roadtrek SS Agile, Pleasure Way Ascent, and Airstream Interstate 19. We're planning on a 2 month road trip this Summer, and will be doing a lot of driving, with a mix of camping and staying in hotels. So driving comfort and ease of navigation and parking in cities were the top priorities for us. So the shorter the better as far as we're concerned. And as a tall guy (6-3), I unfortunately found the Promaster chassis to be a non-starter, I just couldn't get comfortable enough in one to imagine driving it for more than an hour. That eliminated a lot of interesting options, leaving us with these three built in the Sprinter 2500 chassis.

So now I'm curious to know what people's experience has been with these, or their similar-but-larger brethren from these manufacturers. Anybody buy one and wish they'd bought another? Have experience with more than one of them? Would love your thoughts!

PS. I'm aware of the current situation with Roadtrek and their uncertain future, but not sure whether that should be a factor in my decision. There are a couple at my local dealer that have been on the lot for a couple months, so I wouldn't have to worry about an order going unfilled.
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
Bronze Member

I've looked at all these models in person accept the short Airstream. I have toured several Interstates and one Tommy Bahama model. If I had to pick one of the ones you listed I would probably take the PW. For the quality versus the price of the models you listed, I think the Ascent is the best value.

Having said that I ended up buying a Travato 59K. I'm also tall at 6'2" but with experimentation I was able to find a very comfortable driving position and I actually love to drive the Promaster. My first trip I covered 860 miles in two days, no problem. It's a different seating position than I was used to in my Ford Escape but ultimately it proved to be more comfortable on long hauls.

The other reason I chose the Promaster, was because of the gas versus Diesel engine. I know most folks don't have issues with the MB but I didn't want to have to deal with that and trying to find service on the road as opposed to finding a Ram dealer.

Good luck in your quest. The hunt to discover the best B for you is very exciting. I'm sure what ever model you decide on will serve you well.
Chris Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
I'm a first time RV buyer and would love to hear any thoughts on these three makers. After a good deal of research and visits to dealers, we're down to the Roadtrek SS Agile, Pleasure Way Ascent, and Airstream Interstate 19. We're planning on a 2 month road trip this Summer, and will be doing a lot of driving, with a mix of camping and staying in hotels. So driving comfort and ease of navigation and parking in cities were the top priorities for us. So the shorter the better as far as we're concerned. And as a tall guy (6-3), I unfortunately found the Promaster chassis to be a non-starter, I just couldn't get comfortable enough in one to imagine driving it for more than an hour. That eliminated a lot of interesting options, leaving us with these three built in the Sprinter 2500 chassis.

So now I'm curious to know what people's experience has been with these, or their similar-but-larger brethren from these manufacturers. Anybody buy one and wish they'd bought another? Have experience with more than one of them? Would love your thoughts!

PS. I'm aware of the current situation with Roadtrek and their uncertain future, but not sure whether that should be a factor in my decision. There are a couple at my local dealer that have been on the lot for a couple months, so I wouldn't have to worry about an order going unfilled.
It all comes down to how you intend to travel. (RT has issues on the moment but leaving that aside). We chose the Agile (2017). At the time it was the only that offered Lithium and we do a lot of boondocking so made sense to us. We just saw the Air 19 and loved the fit/finish. Very expensive and only comes with AGM. The Ascent....we liked the "traditional" layout better and the bath over the Agile. The cushions way to soft for us and not the power options we wanted. Despite differing from most folks that post here we also thought the finish was very old.....even now the vinyl tile looks like it came out of a 1975 mobile home. Same with the cabinet hardware........the Agile appealed to our euro preferred style and like PW, Roadtrek is all plywood in our van.....again, RT is having potential serious issues right now. If power/agm is good for you, we LOVED the Interstate 19.......Very well done in our opinion.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #4

I looked at all three at the Tampa show last weekend. I thought the Airstream 19 has a very narrow aisle, I'm not a big guy and I brushed both sides when I walked through. There would be no way my wife and I could pass by each other in the aisle. Also you pay a lot just to say you have an Airstream, very expensive for a three year warranty.

The Ascent look good, bright and had a real open feel to it, big windows all around. No closet, guess you need to fold your clothes. Truma comfort plus water heater is really nice, lithium batteries are standard and the control touch panels were easy to understand. Probably my favorite of the three plus a five year warranty.

Roadtrek Agile, looks good from the outside, inside lacked a bit of quality. Found it strange that each led ceiling light had to be pushed off and on with your finger! don't like the kitchen on the drivers side but has a six year warranty. Based on the issues surrounding them, they are off my list until things become stable. Their lithium technology sounds great but not convinced how many dealers can actually fix it if something goes wrong.
bvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanman View Post
I looked at all three at the Tampa show last weekend. I thought the Airstream 19 has a very narrow aisle, I'm not a big guy and I brushed both sides when I walked through. There would be no way my wife and I could pass by each other in the aisle. Also you pay a lot just to say you have an Airstream, very expensive for a three year warranty.

The Ascent look good, bright and had a real open feel to it, big windows all around. No closet, guess you need to fold your clothes. Truma comfort plus water heater is really nice, lithium batteries are standard and the control touch panels were easy to understand. Probably my favorite of the three plus a five year warranty.

Roadtrek Agile, looks good from the outside, inside lacked a bit of quality. Found it strange that each led ceiling light had to be pushed off and on with your finger! don't like the kitchen on the drivers side but has a six year warranty. Based on the issues surrounding them, they are off my list until things become stable. Their lithium technology sounds great but not convinced how many dealers can actually fix it if something goes wrong.
My wife and I are not large either (155/105) and we find in any of the small or large B's we tried that we tend to not frequently pass one another in the "hall". Agree the Airstream is too expensive it is just they seemed to address the few issues my wife doesn't like in our Agile. I like now that PW has gone to installing the Lagun Table in their vans. Huge improvement to the post-in-floor design. I switched out to that recently.

Did you look at the MidWest Passage? That was outside the main showroom. It didn't "fit" our travel style but I can see many would really like it.Kind of like a better version of a Winnebago Revel. Little more of a "bring your bike" inside adventurer van.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

My wife and I had the exact same short list and had the opportunity to see all three at the Toronto RV Show last week. All three were very impressive. The Airstream definitely gave you the "flying first class" experience, but was out of our price range and clashes with our hiking boots and cargo shorts wardrobe. The RoadTrek's layout felt backwards to us both for driving and camping. We prefer the passenger side windows open to view while on the road, and we want to see into our campsite while cooking. Therefore, for us, it was an easy decision to go with Pleasure-Way. Right now we are debating between two of their models, trying to decide if we can fit in the Ascent or go one size larger with the Plateau.
michaeln416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the input! I'm seeing the Airstream in person the first time today. Unfortunately for the Pleasure Way we don't have a viable option for buying a new one. There's a used 2017 model locally with <6K miles though. On the plus side it would save us some money, but unfortunately the warranty isn't transferable. So it's not quite apples-to-apples with the Airstream and Roadtrek, which would be new models. I'll post back with what I found and what we ultimately decide.
brianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 PM   #8

I ordered a 2020 Pleasure Way XLMB at the Tampa Show last week. I decided on the B+ because of the full dry bath at the rear, the Murphy bed, and FIVE solar panels on top.
Plus all the NEW features on the 2019 Sprinter chassis.
Pleasure Way sold 23 units by noon the second day of the show.
Must be a lot of people with money because they sure aren’t cheap.
Down Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #9

I saw that PW-XLMB at the Toronto show last weekend and knew that my wife would absolutely fall in love with it. That dry bath in the rear was gorgeous, along with everything else in there. But since the primary usage scenario is as a mobile office for me, the Plateau-FL makes way more sense for us. That said, I didn't take any chances and after I had a quick look at the XLMB I stopped my wife from climbing on board and told her that we should move along to the next exhibit.

Congratulations on your purchase. You are going to love that rig.
michaeln416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #10

Today I had my dealer cancel my RT Agile order and I am putting in an offer for a new Agile (2020 on the 2019 chassis). I love RT but I also love PW. Had to make a call based on what my own situation and needs are.

Can any of you give me your educated opinion on a good target price? My salesperson is calling back in a while.

Thanks!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default $99,000 for Agile

2019 Agiles are being offered off the lot in Minnesota for $99,000 at the moment. If you don't buy the fear-mongering about Roadtrek's future, that is a really good deal.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #12

2019 sprinter chassis alone is $7500 more than the 2018. Due to many upgrades.
Down Sized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeln416 View Post
I saw that PW-XLMB at the Toronto show last weekend and knew that my wife would absolutely fall in love with it. That dry bath in the rear was gorgeous, along with everything else in there. But since the primary usage scenario is as a mobile office for me, the Plateau-FL makes way more sense for us. That said, I didn't take any chances and after I had a quick look at the XLMB I stopped my wife from climbing on board and told her that we should move along to the next exhibit.

Congratulations on your purchase. You are going to love that rig.
Welcome to the forum michaeln416!

Make sure your wife never sees your post.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Today I had my dealer cancel my RT Agile order and I am putting in an offer for a new Agile (2020 on the 2019 chassis). I love RT but I also love PW. Had to make a call based on what my own situation and needs are.

Can any of you give me your educated opinion on a good target price? My salesperson is calling back in a while.

Thanks!
Sorry for the confusion. I should have said "putting in an offer for a new Ascent)."
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #15

Stay away from all Roadtreks .
Over priced Junk!
RoadtrekJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadtrekJunk View Post
Stay away from all Roadtreks .
Over priced Junk!
hmm.....1st post........despite Roadtrek's current predicament I think the quality of ours is better than some offerings from other manufacturers and maybe not as good as others. We are happy with our choice and we typically enjoy "nicer things" in things and in life. :>

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-29-2019, 01:30 PM   #17

You must have much lower expectations than I.
RoadtrekJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadtrekJunk View Post
You must have much lower expectations than I.
or mine was one of the good ones.

2017 RT Agile SS
Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
or mine was one of the good ones.
Please let us know if Roadtrek reaches out to owners regarding future warranty or other issues. I think things will be fine, but it would be nice if more reassurance were provided by the company.

Glad you enjoy your Agile. I like the size and layout, just couldn't afford the new prices last year so we went with a used Airstream Avenue (Chevy Express chassis they made only a few years). Quality in some areas is great, in others, lacking. Just like most rv's I guess. We are enjoying our travels.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:16 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Please let us know if Roadtrek reaches out to owners regarding future warranty or other issues. I think things will be fine, but it would be nice if more reassurance were provided by the company.

Glad you enjoy your Agile. I like the size and layout, just couldn't afford the new prices last year so we went with a used Airstream Avenue (Chevy Express chassis they made only a few years). Quality in some areas is great, in others, lacking. Just like most rv's I guess. We are enjoying our travels.
Will do.......ours is a 2017 so 2 years old now..........many of the things that I believe will be an issue now I would think might not be covered by RT anyway.......things like the microwave etc...................my only real concern would be issues with the Lithiums....unlike others, we haven't had issues but the only thing we would struggle for a solution if something goes wrong.

2017 RT Agile SS

Tags
pleas, roadtrek agile