Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 01:27 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Thoughts on the Roadtrek 170?

I'm looking at the 170 since I'll be the only one using it and It'll still be relatively small enough to park in a normal spot with a bike rack on the back. One of my concerns is the size of the tanks.

I'm planning to full time around North America for several months. Since it will only be myself using the system I thought that the smaller tanks (20 Fresh, 23 grey, 8 black) would be enough to get me through a week at a time. But now I'm starting to wonder if they're small.

Any thoughts?
EsotericSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I understand that RT has stopped making the 170, but there are some of them around. I have a 170 and it is my only vehicle... easy to drive and park. I haven't really used the tanks in this one, but my first rig, a GWV had similar sized tanks. Of course it depends on how one uses it, but... not taking showers in the rig... the tanks lasted longer than a week. My memory isn't totally trustworthy, but as I recall living in it for the 3 months of winter, I dumped every other week. But I also used the campground showers... and other bathrooms now and again.

One thing to note is that with the 170, there is very little storage either. You may want to consider the 190 instead.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I understand that RT has stopped making the 170, but there are some of them around.
That's interesting. Where did you hear that? It's still listed on their site.

I liked the idea of the shorter wheelbase because then if I chose to boondock for a night or two on BLM then I'd reduce my chances of high centering it on a rough road. I plan to lift it a little already and put better tires on it. That's where the tank dilemma came into play. Would I have enough water to go a few days without needing to refill or dump tanks, etc.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Just an opinion but don't bother with a 170. You sleep crosswise in it so measure it to see if you fit. With a 190 solo you can use it as one twin bed or a full bed with storage (winter adventure clothes come to mind) on the other side. As the years go by a 190 is more versatile for future changes in lifestyle, whatever they may be.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericSnowman View Post
That's interesting. Where did you hear that? It's still listed on their site.

I liked the idea of the shorter wheelbase because then if I chose to boondock for a night or two on BLM then I'd reduce my chances of high centering it on a rough road. I plan to lift it a little already and put better tires on it. That's where the tank dilemma came into play. Would I have enough water to go a few days without needing to refill or dump tanks, etc.
You could certainly go days... as long as you take very water efficient navy showers.

And yes, the bed is short. I am 5'4" and with a pillow, my feet are against the wall. One could sleep at an angle and get more space. If I were closer to 6' I would want the 190 with the "dinette" which makes twin beds.

Jim Hammill, the CEO, announced on the Roadtreking Facebook page that the 170 was being discontinued. They are having difficulty getting the platforms from Chevy, who has been saying for a few years now that the end was nigh for the Express van. (although nothing official as yet... only speculation websites) Their website is notoriously slow to be updated. Someone reported being able to put in an order, so they may have some left in their inventory.

There are usually a couple used ones up for sale on the FMCA Roadtrek page:

Roadtreks for Sale - Road Trek International
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Jim Hammill, the CEO, announced on the Roadtreking Facebook page that the 170 was being discontinued. They are having difficulty getting the platforms from Chevy, who has been saying for a few years now that the end was nigh for the Express van. (although nothing official as yet... only speculation websites)[/url]
So that would mean the 190 and 210 are on the chopping block as well right?

That's too bad. I liked the look of the Chevy platform more over the other box trucks.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsotericSnowman View Post
So that would mean the 190 and 210 are on the chopping block as well right?

That's too bad. I liked the look of the Chevy platform more over the other box trucks.
Look on the positive side, GM will be forced to compete finally with a Euro style van and that may give more choice and competitiveness.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #8
Platinum Member

DW and I easily get one week on our black tank, and could probably go two weeks, as we use other restrooms most of the time, except at night. We have a 190 with an 11 gallon black tank. There are so many variables, it gets very hard to predict what will work for you.

The crosswise sleeping is almost always a non issue for single travelers unless they are really tall. A little diagonal takes care of it.

The Chevy will be going away sooner or later. Whether that is good or bad can be an interesting discussion.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Oddly Jim H only mentioned the end of the 170... but I agree that it won't be long before a Euro style van will take over. Let's just hope that they don't opt for that ugly and apparently RV worthless Nissan.

I too like the looks of the Chevy van and its drive-ability and dependability, but its slanted sides means that it isn't the most practical platform for an RV.

That is why my next will be on a Promaster.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 07-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
BBQ
Platinum Member

Hymer is building a lot of entry level RVs, thus the 170 is redundant.

All of these entry level RVs are built on the ProMaster chassis.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:47 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I'd suggest that if the 170 uses the 4.8L it is too small for the weight- I have that motor in my pick up and is is just ok- I wouldn;t want to try towing with that- it hunts OD/3rd on grades.

my 2006 PW Lexor is on the chev 3500 and it is great w/ 6.0,
similar to the RT, but only 2 seats up front, galley on pass side- I think a larger bed and less cabinetry so more "open'

Mike

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote