Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #1

Default Tips for looking at a Pleasure-Way Excel, please

I found today a 1999 Pleasure-Way Excel van on Craigslist just an hour's drive from my place. I will be looking at it tomorrow and would be grateful if people who know Pleasure Ways from that time could give me some tips where to look with special attention.

The vehicle is advertised as a 1999 model, has two seats in the front and an electric sofa bed in the back. In the Pleasure-Way 1999 brochure I don't find this floor plan (the floor plan is identical to the 2000 Excel RD) but the running boards are clearly from the 1999 model.

It belongs to a woman who bought it 6 years ago in Phoenix, so it was and is an Arizona vehicle which I think it good. It has 97,000 miles on it and just got serviced (AC, transmission, new belts belts, new hoses, new engine computer, new tires, new batteries). I asked whether it would be possible to drive the vehicle at 70 mph with one hand, and she said "yes, of course, no problem at all." Sounds not too bad, I think.

Would be great to get some tips what to look for when I go there tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

Nick
resucami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Pretty much everyone on this forum knows more than I do about RVs, but the board has been quiet and your post might not be seen by folks "in the know" before you have to go look at the van.

Based on the posts I have seen over the past several months, it looks like there is very little that can go wrong that can't be fixed if you have either time or money (preferably both). Pleasure-ways are reputed to be very well built but I can't offer any specific information on them.

If Phoenix is only an hour's drive away, you know that to look for in vehicles that have lived in the desert: brittle wiring, cracked and leaking gaskets, failed fiberglass or paint, rotted foam in the cushions, etc. Depends on where it was stored and how it was maintained.

Take your time going though each and every system. Does the water pump work? Awning? Heater? A/C? Generator? Refrigerator? Toilet? Don't be in a hurry. It's easy to get excited and agree to buy without a thorough exam. If the previous owner has had it for six years, she should be able to demonstrate the major systems for you.

How old is the propane tank? I would replace the lines right away if they are old. When was the generator oil last changed? Generators need to be run frequently to keep them working properly.

I think the Excels were on the 3500 chassis, but if it's on the 2500, it may have been loaded to it's limit so take a good look from the side and see if you think the rear is dropped.

I hope you can get advice from someone with more experience, but in the meantime, hope this helps. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Go to youtube and get yourself familiar with the layout and equipments.

The Dodge chassis is pretty tough.
Can you get a mechanic to look at it?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Nick/Resucami,
Are you looking at the Pleasure-way listed in Mayer, AZ? Looks like a clean, well-kept rig (especially if you like blue.) Pleasure-ways are known for a quality build. Even if the engine is sound, be prepared for fix-ups in the coach systems: electrical, plumbing, propane. Our Leisure Travel Van has a similar floorplan that I like..... bath on driver side, galley on passenger side. The other posters offered good advice to prepare and familiarize yourself with this type of rig. Good luck!
Karen in Flagstaff