Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tire investigation

Tire investigation

A popular model of Goodyear tires for larger vehicles is under increased scrutiny after federal regulators discovered that they have been linked to nearly 100 deaths and injuries, but have never been recalled.

The Goodyear G159 275/70R 22.5, which ........

https://clark.com/cars/goodyear-g159...1hrLMACk.email
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I just read the information. It says "The agency is investigating 40,000 G159 tires manufactured between 1996 and 2003"
I would be surprised if anyone is using a tire 15 years or older. If they are they should expect failures. From what I've read, 10 years is pushing it.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
I just read the information. It says "The agency is investigating 40,000 G159 tires manufactured between 1996 and 2003"
I would be surprised if anyone is using a tire 15 years or older. If they are they should expect failures. From what I've read, 10 years is pushing it.
You completely miss the point.

If anyone has had an issue with this tire, they need to be aware.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That tire size was used on diesel pusher Class A MH. They weren't used on gas MH. As Deano suggests, tires that old shouldn't be in service any longer. I'm sure it was/is common practice for the bean counters at large companies to weigh the costs associated with such issues. Fix the problem or pay off the defendants. I'm don't support the pay off approach, but that's the way life is, right or wrong.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
... tires that old shouldn't be in service any longer. ....
Of course they shouldn't, but you can bet your bottom dollar that some of them are.

Minor odd coincidence: just before reading this thread, I returned from the gym where this (below) was parked next to me. Rarely will I intervene on stuff like this, but in this instance I felt compelled to leave a polite note on the owner's windshield drawing his attention to the fact that his tires are unsafe.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I think that the owner of those tires just needs to drive another hundred miles or so until the steel belts start showing and they will have better winter traction.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Safe?

That tire is perfectly safe on dry surfaces. Tread depth is only necessary for wet conditions. A smooth tire has superior traction on good pavement, but tread is important for rain, snow, mud, and off-road.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
That tire is perfectly safe on dry surfaces. Tread depth is only necessary for wet conditions. A smooth tire has superior traction on good pavement, but tread is important for rain, snow, mud, and off-road.
Setting aside the obvious debate, I photographed that tire in greater Houston, which has seen about 60 inches of rain so far this calendar year. About 4 of those inches came on Friday night alone, two days after I posted that pic.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
Slicks don't belong on a motorhome

Although RV drag races might be interesting if they only used a 1/16th mile track lol. Ain't no one got 30 seconds to wait for something to cross the 1/4 mile line.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote