Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Tire Pressures

What do you 2500 Sprinter guys (& gals) run for tire pressures? What are your vans weighing in at on front and back axles?

I have have 2 tags on mine - one from MB factory and one from Great West Vans - both state different pressures. RV one is higher than MB one by 10-20 psi.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
What do you 2500 Sprinter guys (& gals) run for tire pressures? What are your vans weighing in at on front and back axles?

I have have 2 tags on mine - one from MB factory and one from Great West Vans - both state different pressures. RV one is higher than MB one by 10-20 psi.
Good question, I wonder the same thing. I plan to go with the RV numbers given they should be compensating for the weight.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Yes, that was my assumption but it makes for twitchy handling if your rig isn't loaded to absolute max.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post

Follow GW's tag. They added weight to the van.

They usually recommend tire pressures in a range. What are they?
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Follow GW's tag. They added weight to the van.

They usually recommend tire pressures in a range. What are they?
70 in front and 80 in back. No range.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Use the one from the RV manufacturer. The tire pressure is dictated by the load the tires carry. The up fitter added considerable weight to the basic Sprinter van the the increased pressure reflects that fact. I run 80 PSI in my Chev based RoadTrek because load that the rear tires are carrying dictates that pressure.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Normally the OEM tag is sufficient to carry the load of a van at rated weight. I have never seen one that is for an empty van. That said, tire pressures at the minimum for capacity usually don't handle all that great, as the pressures are too low for best control. The Chevy tags give 50/80 on them but most will run 65/80 for better handling.

If you have a 2500 van with load range E tires, you will have quite a bit of window to work with, so don't be afraid to move the pressures around until you get the feel YOU like.

"Normal" rules would say that if the van feels twitchy as in steering too quickly for your taste, you would reduce front tire pressure and increase rear tire pressure. If you feel like it is sluggish and gets pushed around in the wind a lot, increase the front pressure, and maybe reduce the rear if needed.

Your tire pressures are going to vary by at something like 5 psi over a days drive, so keep that in mind, especially if you feel it getting worse or better over a day. That way you can compensate.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I am running 70 in the back and 60 in the front right now and that is better for handling. Haven't done too much driving with it yet though.

Continental tires has a chart that shows what pressure to run for what axle weight that you have - can't find anything like that for the Nokian Rotiiva tires.

I'm at about 1550kg on the front and 2100kg on the back axle (mostly loaded but no water in tanks).
Old 04-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
Platinum Member

My 2005 Pleasure-way 2500 Sprinter said to run 79-80 in the rear and 55 in the front. My 3500 Advanced RV Sprinter runs 61 all six tires.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
My 2005 Pleasure-way 2500 Sprinter said to run 79-80 in the rear and 55 in the front. My 3500 Advanced RV Sprinter runs 61 all six tires.
I think that may be close to where I'm headed with mine. At first I thought 55 sounded too low but a lot of people with experience have confirmed that was best for them.