Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default TiVo - Anyone take their box with them?

Not that we watch much television on the road, but over-the-air reception is spotty, show selection is poor, and DVD's are something we're just not buying or renting anymore. And no, we don't stream.

We have a TiVo Bolt in our home with lots of movies already recorded on it. It is incredibly small and light weight, especially compared to the ones we had a few years ago.

My question is not will it work, because I've already found a spot for it and tried it in our van. My question is will it survive the beating it will be subjected to on the road?

The TiVo It will be powered down while driving so supposedly the hard drive will park itself, but it was designed for the home environment and only has to survive FedEx delivery.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Well, I'm committed to trying it and just hope my Tivo survives the trip. Pretty sure it will since it came by UPS.

About a month ago I received my Renogy 3000W Inverter/Charger. I didn't know Ace Ventura was still making deliveries but it must have been him by the way the packaging was smashed. But the inverter works!

Old 10-28-2019, 12:41 AM   #3

I can't speak from experience on the Tivo specifically, but I've hauled a laptop around and it hasn't had a problem with the hard drive. I don't think you'll have a problem, especially if you store it while you drive. But if you did, or just want to be safe, you could replace the hard drive in your Tivo with an SSD and then it wouldn't be an issue. Today's hard drives are pretty resilient overall.
2006 Avon Adventurer 16
2000 Riot Hammer - Team Member Custom
inforiculturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:46 AM   #4
Platinum Member

UPDATE:

After 9 days and little over 2,000 miles into our trip, the Tivo Bolt is doing fine. Nice to have on the last few rainy evenings in the Elkmont campground in the Smoky Mountains Nat'l Park and in the Lake Powhaton Campground in the PISGAH National Forest.

We don't normally watch a lot of tv, but with no broadcast signal and no cell phone reception it helped pass the rainy evenings when we were stuck inside. Luckily the rains held off both days so it didn't interrupt our day in Gattlinburg or our tour of the Biltmore Mansion. So we consider ourselves lucky.