Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 07:34 PM   #21
Platinum Member

We have one on our RT and don't use it very often. There always seems to be enough wind to not want to leave it up unattended... reading the posts maybe we should use it more...

One question for those with awnings... what do you do if you can't get it to roll back up? Seems like it would be a real problem if you can't get it to retract in the middle of nowhere...
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
We have one on our RT and don't use it very often. There always seems to be enough wind to not want to leave it up unattended... reading the posts maybe we should use it more...

One question for those with awnings... what do you do if you can't get it to roll back up? Seems like it would be a real problem if you can't get it to retract in the middle of nowhere...
Similar question could be asked what if your engine goes dead, or a slide-out gets stack, or you got 2 flats and one spare. In case of the awning at least you have an option to drive, just like Robert Williams did - see at 1:33
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post

I would check the manual for your awning - I know some have the option of manually cranking the awning back in - maybe with a 3/8" square drive ratchet or special tool provided.

Not sure they all do, but it sure would make sense to design them that way!

I always like to study manuals in advance so that even if I don't remember all the details when needed, I do know of such options that may be described in the manual and that stops me worrying about such things that may or may not ever happen!

Brian
<<B-Guy>> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #24
Platinum Member

We don't use our awning frequently, mostly because it's not robust enough to stand up to much wind, which means I have to stake it down if there will be any wind at all, which just adds to the set up time. Still, I've really appreciated it those times when it is absolutely the only shade to be had.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:19 AM   #25
Silver Member

I open my awning regularly about a foot during the summer to shade a portion of the rig (windows and refrigerator). I thought it was going to be a waste but now I'm glad it came standard.
4DMTNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:03 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Default No awning ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
In my first B, I never used the awning. So with my second, I ordered it without... never missed it. The third came with an awning... have never opened it. With the order on my 4th, I asked that it be shipped detached on the inside of the van. If the next buyer wants it, they can have it... and get it attached on their own.
What do you do for shade??
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
LOL - I always though that the high-mounted awnings look bad, like they turn the vehicles into "Quasimodo vans" or something. However this is the first time I've heard anybody else say that.

Our Class B is built on a T1N Sprinter, so we have a side-mounted awning, made possible by the older configuration of the sliding door, and which I think looks much better.

I've found that an awning is something you never need until you really need it. We don't use it much, but we breathe a sigh of relief when we do.

I made a no-see-um screen to fit our awning (instructions here) because we frequently travel in eastern Canada where the flies... OMG, the flies. The flies are beyond comprehension. In that kind of environment, it's not smart to simply walk into the van through an open door - an airlock type configuration will serve much better. Go into awning the screen, proceed to kill several hundred flies, AND THEN open the van slider to get inside. Otherwise we're looking at a two-hour mass slaughter on the inside.
In line of today’s saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” or our Roman friends saying “De gustibus non est disputandum” I truly don’t find an awning on a Sprinter a Quasimodo like. Congratulation on the nice design of the bug screen, I just wonder how bugs like your screen, perhaps they don’t like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR61044-2.JPG (473.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ZGR61041-1.JPG (385.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
In line of today’s saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder” or our Roman friends saying “De gustibus non est disputandum”
Apparently. I find awnings (including my own) hideous.

Second only to "Elkhart graffiti" in screaming "RV".
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #29
Platinum Member

LOL. As if a van is a pretty thing aesthetically to begin with, such that a cylindrical aluminum casing detracts from it! Vans are mostly eyesores if you ask me.

An awning is a good thing to have when you need it, and it is happy to sit in it's casing if you don't.

I do have my doubts about the usefulness of the legless one that is coming with my new van. Seems pretty fragile, so I probably won't use it much. If it's still enough that it's safe to use, that means there is probably roasting hot sun to contend with, which I don't want to sit in, unprotected.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Apparently. I find awnings (including my own) hideous.

Second only to "Elkhart graffiti" in screaming "RV".
Interesting dilemma for B-class manufacturers to design a product to match potential customer needs: awning – from ugly to OK, from will never use to must to have, or just put in on the floor.

I assume keeping it optional would be the best route.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
LOL. As if a van is a pretty thing aesthetically to begin with, such that a cylindrical aluminum casing detracts from it! Vans are mostly eyesores if you ask me…………...
Couldn’t agree more.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I do have my doubts about the usefulness of the legless one that is coming with my new van. Seems pretty fragile, so I probably won't use it much.
For me this is the crux of the problem. The awnings I've seen (and owned) on Class B vans are too wimpy, so the manufacturers advise against using them in rain and snow. They typically require staking the legs which is usually very difficult since the ground around the van is typically paved or hard packed. In the mean time, I see awnings on Class A RV's and fifth-wheel trailers that are left up all the time and appear to be strong enough to stand a hurricane. I wish the Class B manufacturers and the awning manufacturers would get together and design an awning and van combination with mounting and anchor points that can stand up to some real life situations.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
For me this is the crux of the problem. The awnings I've seen (and owned) on Class B vans are too wimpy, so the manufacturers advise against using them in rain and snow. They typically require staking the legs which is usually very difficult since the ground around the van is typically paved or hard packed. In the mean time, I see awnings on Class A RV's and fifth-wheel trailers that are left up all the time and appear to be strong enough to stand a hurricane. I wish the Class B manufacturers and the awning manufacturers would get together and design an awning and van combination with mounting and anchor points that can stand up to some real life situations.
I designed leg pads with increased foot print to support the awning's legs, had it erected in some heavy rain and no issue. I don’t recall manufacturing recommendation not to use it in the rain just in windy conditions. To prevent corrosion my pads are attached with VHB only, no screws.

This new type of awnings (see the picture below) are nice but they require flat surface for attachment, difficult on a van but not impossible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR150142-1.JPG (358.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg GR150144-2.JPG (449.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg GR150146-3.JPG (327.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Untitled.png (126.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Those awnings on larger RVs are not strong enough to handle high winds either but they might have a wind sensor to automatically retract the awning in high winds.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
Platinum Member

From the Fiamma Manual:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg awning manual.jpg (78.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
From the Fiamma Manual:
Thank you for this info, I didn’t know Fiamma recommend to use it in rain, was it for a legless awning?

I always have the awning erected with one of the corners lower tilting the awning to facilitate water drain, it works for me for the last 30 years. With legless design where tilting is not possible I wouldn’t use it in the rain, I wouldn’t get one anyway.

Heavy wind, hail or snow are certainly a no-no.

In EU awning enclosures are popular, just can’t imagine they couldn’t be used in the rain.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #37
Platinum Member

We have a 14' x 14' Eddie Bauer screen tent that packs away in a small canvas bag about 8" x 8" x 28". It fits over a picnic table and keeps the bugs and mosquitos away. It also provides sun screening, and sitting out in the rain. It helps mark our campsite when away. We carry it because it doesn't take up much room. I didn't realize I never took a recent photo. This is northern Minnesota at the Woodenfrog State Forest, a mosquito laden campsite, when we had our Great West Van.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Fiamma F65S. It has legs, although there also brackets you can mount on the side of the van (if you can find a strong mounting spot). I didn't know there were legless awnings for class B.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #39
Platinum Member

What we haven't heard is using guy lines on the awning supports. Put the supports to the ground instead of the van side, and two lines on each pole, and you will be able to handle much more wind.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What we haven't heard is using guy lines on the awning supports. Put the supports to the ground instead of the van side, and two lines on each pole, and you will be able to handle much more wind.
I've seen instances where the van receptors for the poles were yanked out in high winds. It was kind of dicey to use them that way and our P-W and GWV's had them. I bought the anchors and guy lines, two to a pole. I found them irritating snagging and tripping a leg on the lines.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote