Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Rule of thumb has always been 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue for non equalization hitches, but I am not certain of the rules for those hitches that will redistribute the weight to other than the hitch.
You would have virtually no tongue weight towing a car 4 wheel down or with a dolly.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
You would have virtually no tongue weight towing a car 4 wheel down or with a dolly.
I am sure that someone has information on that. It easily could put weight on the hitch or tow bar if they need it, by how the parts are made. Don't know it it is needed or not, but it seems you would need some weight, especially with a dolly.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:39 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am sure that someone has information on that. It easily could put weight on the hitch or tow bar if they need it, by how the parts are made. Don't know it it is needed or not, but it seems you would need some weight, especially with a dolly.
What do I know, I've only towed cars behind an RV for 10's of thousands of miles?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
In our new vehicle we are using Lagun table mounts and teak table tops, you might see if something like that would work...

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-a...ing-system-331

https://www.svb24.com/en/roca-foldab...-tabletop.html
That's the table Advanced RV has been installing in a few Bs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Rule of thumb has always been 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue for non equalization hitches, but I am not certain of the rules for those hitches that will redistribute the weight to other than the hitch.
Undferstood, but if you are towing a vehicle rather than a trailer with all wheels on the ground, is there significant weight on the tongue?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Something a little larger and more rugged than our RT sprinter. We will be fulltiming in it...

GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis - Expedition Portal
You could drive that to Patagonia and back.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Undferstood, but if you are towing a vehicle rather than a trailer with all wheels on the ground, is there significant weight on the tongue?
Don't know, that is why I suggested folks that had done it pipe up. Also the question of sway control and if it is needed. I have towed cars on a towbar several times, and they could get pretty squirrelly, but that was with bumper mount rental stuff, and they weighed as much as the tow vehicle.

If the towbar does not allow sway, and they let the wheels either scuff or turn, I could see you wouldn't need weight on the towbar to any significant extent.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We are planning to focus on the Western US and Canada and Alaska for the first few years of full time travel but who knows where we go after that...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:38 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL, Are you calling our baby ugly...

Ours will not have the raised roof like the first one that was built to haul an ATV in the garage and will be painted brown but I don't expect that will change your assessment of it's appearance.

Rather than a garbage truck, ours will likely look more like a UPS truck...

Here is the second one that GXV built on the Kenworth Chassis, this one is a little smaller than ours with no storage area open from the back. Ours is the same length as the first one but without the raised roof line in the rear.

Patagonia on Kenworth 2017 | Global Expedition Vehicles

Ours will have a wood grain laminate interior rather than the multi-color laminate in this one.

Ours is the third build on the Kenworth and is scheduled to be delivered in about a month...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I guess you are not a fan of expedition trucks...
Definitely in the eye of the beholder. I like Expo trucks (even the ones that look like garbage trucks) and I think the Kenworth looks cool. I hope you share pics of your finished truck. Also I love cab forward designs... perfection for me would be a Kenworth 4x4 like yours with an overall length of 19-22 feet. However we just got our Agile so I need to stop having these expensive thoughts...
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis - Expedition Portal
The funny thing is you can't. That Freightliner 2017 cabover requires ULSD fuel which limits it to US, Canada, and parts of Baja Mexico in the Americas.

GXV does retrofit pre-2007 diesel truck chassis for full global travel although the retrofit cost to fully renovate those older chassis make the cost at least as high as a new unit.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
The funny thing is you can't. That Freightliner 2017 cabover requires ULSD fuel which limits it to US, Canada, and parts of Baja Mexico in the Americas.

GXV does retrofit pre-2007 diesel truck chassis for full global travel although the retrofit cost to fully renovate those older chassis make the cost at least as high as a new unit.
Not sure how Freightliner got into the discussion but you are correct that the 2018 Kenworth K370 cab forward chassis with a Paccar PX-7 diesel used in our GXV build does require ULSD fuel which is an issue if traveling very far south from the US. We have no current plans to go outside the US and Canada but at some point, if we did decide to go south, the most straightforward solution is to have a DPF delete done when leaving the US and have it reversed at the point when you come back to the US or enter some other country that mandates that level of emission control.

Wincrasher's thread has been pretty well hijacked at this point with discussion of our new truck, which is not a Class B in any stretch of the imagination. Sorry that my responses to some questions started the hijacking...
Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Since the admins are obviously asleep at the switch, I guess I'll share the rest of my Aktiv story over on Facebook.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:35 AM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
Since the admins are obviously asleep at the switch, I guess I'll share the rest of my Aktiv story over on Facebook.
I'm going to take my ball and go home!

LOL, very mature response...
Old 07-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #54
Platinum Member

Perhaps the admins can split off a separate thread for Greg's GXV build, perhaps in the B+ subforum (ok, maybe more of a B+++) or somewhere similar.

That way we could get feedback on both the Activ and GXV, both interesting departures from traditional US RV designs.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm going to take my ball and go home!

LOL, very mature response...
I guess about as mature as intentionally hijacking a thread out of spite with non-B material. I'm not going to waste my time and content where subjected to this. Maybe this kind of thing is why you get booted from so many places.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess about as mature as intentionally hijacking a thread out of spite with non-B material. I'm not going to waste my time and content where subjected to this. Maybe this kind of thing is why you get booted from so many places.
Someone asked what vehicle I was getting when I gave you an idea for a table for your new van and I answered their questions about our new vehicle. If that is intentionally hijacking your thread, I would call that a stretch...

Only been kicked out of two groups in my life, yours and Mike's. Go ahead and try to get me kicked out of here if that is what you feel is needed to make your day...
Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 AM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Experience with the new to NA Hymer Activ 1 is very important for our B-class market so I hope you will keep us updating.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 AM   #58

You might look at TheFitRV.com"s youtube video on their opinion of the cassette black tank. They said the odor dumping it was overwhelming and would never use it again. I find their video's useful and pretty much unbiased.
roadtrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:37 AM   #59
Platinum Member

You should watch the Russo's videos, who are living with it, and are getting fine with it. I've had these kind of things in boats for many years and it isn't a problem. I've seen the FitTV video.. I'm not going to criticize it other than to say I have disagreement with some of how they did that.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #60
Platinum Member

I haven't seen the last 2-3 Russo videos, but early on they decided they were only going to use the cassette for liquid deposits. Did they change their minds recently?
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote