Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #1

Default Too Heavy

Are there Class B's out there that are just too damn heavy? Is that something that needs consideration before purchasing? I see some that are made of really high quality materials, but weighty stuff (e.g., solid wood), and I'm thinking here of Regency and Coachhouse, probably some others too. But is it possible that the resulting product is too heavy for the chassis/engine, as a practical matter, when things are loaded? I suppose I could leave my wife behind, but no way does the dog get left behind. Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.
RVNoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard. Your question is definitely not stupid. I am sure there will be some solid info provided by some knowledgeable people on here who know about weights of the various Models, and can make recommendations. I have a Roadtrek 210P, and it is heavy and the cargo carrying weight is low - compared to many others. I knew that going in, we use ours for touring and short trips, along with a few overnighters. Ron
Old 10-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Just the water weights alone are surprising when you add them up. The 36 gallon water tank on the Roadtrek 210 would be 300 lbs of water. If black and grey tanks were also full, it would be 570 lbs of water not counting the weight of the propane tank.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
Just the water weights alone are surprising when you add them up. The 36 gallon water tank on the Roadtrek 210 would be 300 lbs of water. If black and grey tanks were also full, it would be 570 lbs of water not counting the weight of the propane tank.

Usually the fresh water get "transferred" over to the black and gray tanks.
They are never both full at the same time.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Most of the newer Class Bs have a weight tag somewhere on them, often in the door jamb. It lists the vehicle weight, as equipped, but empty, and the maximum weight the vehicle will carry. The difference between those is the amount you can add in terms of gear, water and passengers.

Some Bs are already close to the max before adding your "stuff" and others have quite a bit of leeway.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Class B RV-s are by and large built on cargo/work van chassis. Made for heavy work. Hauling materials. Pulling stuff. Like Phoebe says... check your own capacities though. These things are built to carry loads. Several exceptions that I can think of include Rialtas ( they seem to break/bend rear axles ),and pre-1979 Toyota Rvs (they had axle/bearing problems. ) I think they are technically class C rigs, but you get the idea.
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

The older ones built on T1N Sprinter 2500s can come close to GVWR, yes. That is exactly why some manufacturers switched to 3500s with the 2007 model year, which was the first production year for the NCV3 Sprinter.

My Airstream Interstate is in the former category. It has a GVWR of 8,550 pounds. We've weighed it at the CAT Scale at about 8,200 pounds loaded for a typical trip. Loaded for a longer trip, we are approaching (but not exceeding) GVWR.

And it's important to remember that PEOPLE need to be included in that weight measurement. Our Interstate carries only my husband and I, just two people, and neither of us is overweight. Put a whole family in there including some heavier members? It could be a problem, yes.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Too Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNoobie View Post
Are there Class B's out there that are just too damn heavy? Is that something that needs consideration before purchasing? I see some that are made of really high quality materials, but weighty stuff (e.g., solid wood), and I'm thinking here of Regency and Coachhouse, probably some others too. But is it possible that the resulting product is too heavy for the chassis/engine, as a practical matter, when things are loaded? I suppose I could leave my wife behind, but no way does the dog get left behind. [emoji4] Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Not a stupid question at all. Many RVs and B-vans are overweight with just two people and normal gear for travel. I recall one worst case was the early Winnebago ERA built on the Sprinter 2500 Extended 170" WB. At the time I was in the market for a Sprinter B-van and even sent a letter to Winnebago criticizing this overweight product. Fortunately Winnebago changed the ERA to a 3500 Sprinter which has the capacity to handle the RV conversion and still have a decent carrying capacity.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 10-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Initially Airstream and Winnebago and other manufacturers came out with 2500 NC3V extended body Sprinter models in chassis year 2007. I think they are to be avoided. However I saw an extended body 2500 Airstream in 2012 going up the Alaska Highway with a hitch cargo carrier.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Initially Airstream and Winnebago and other manufacturers came out with 2500 NC3V extended body Sprinter models in chassis year 2007. ....
If you see such a beast, I'd like pics. To my knowledge, Airstream never did that, not even one time. It was all 3500s from 2007 onwards.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote