Old 01-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Toronto RV show - amazing!

So I am here at the Toronto RV show and thought I would share some of my findings. First of all, this is 50 times the show that Boston is. From the friendliness of the people to the really updated and modern bathroom and restaurant at the convention center. It feels so plush! Which I guess is what I really love about the leisure travel vans as well as the Hymer Aktiv 2.0. Very very plush and so impressed.

Here is what I learned, something that most of you probably already know…

The leisure travel van wonder which is what I really want it until I found out it only had two seatbelts, only has two seatbelts because they can only support sleeping for two. Apparently you can only have one seatbelt per sleeping position. They got away with more seatbelts in the unity twin bed model because they can cheat an extra bed between the driver and passengers seat in the front. And so, I learned that the Class B because it is also a second vehicle, rather than a recreation vehicle, means they can put as many seatbelts as they want without regard to the sleeping situation.

I chatted with the infamous Dean from Leisure travel vans, what a nice guy! And so informative. He asked me what my camping needs were and family situation, etc. He told me they are working on the wonder RTB and that will basically be like the unity and offer the extra seat belts and sleeping positions. The Prototype should be ready in June so that would be for only 2018. He said they were working fast and furious on it.

The Hymer rep was at the show as well and I learned a ton from him about the aktiv 2.0. I think at this point it serves my needs better than the leisure travel vans offerings.

I guess the question is, do I wait until that leisure travel RTB model is out… My gut instinct says not to as my kids are getting older and there's only so long I have with them. Also, next year my daughter is a junior in high school I will be driving her around to look at colleges and I thought how much fun it would be to travel in the RV.

One question for you with a class B, so you insure this as a vehicle but do you also have to have a RV insurance?

Is anyone else here at the show? If so, I'm at the really nice bar in the sparking restaurant having a delicious chicken Caesar salad and a beer. Please join me!

indoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Gold Member

Replying to my own thread because I forgot to mention one of the things that I learned. So as a US resident I cannot purchase something here at the show because it would void the warranty when I went to register it in the US. However, I could buy a used RV from the Canadian dealer as long as it has six months on it and that would not void the warranty. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me but I thought with the 20% savings gain with currency rates buying a used RV from a Canadian dealer makes sense!

Stating something here that I'm sure you're all aware of. This is all new to me…

Also, using Siri to type on my iPhone so my apologies for any weird mistakes.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorsy View Post
Replying to my own thread because I forgot to mention one of the things that I learned. So as a US resident I cannot purchase something here at the show because it would void the warranty when I went to register it in the US. However, I could buy a used RV from the Canadian dealer as long as it has six months on it and that would not void the warranty. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me but I thought with the 20% savings gain with currency rates buying a used RV from a Canadian dealer makes sense!

Stating something here that I'm sure you're all aware of. This is all new to me…

Also, using Siri to type on my iPhone so my apologies for any weird mistakes.
AFAIK, you can't title and register any vehicle imported into CONUS unless it complies with U.S. DOT requirements. The Canadian"DOT" equivalent involves requirements that differ from ours.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
So I am here at the Toronto RV show and thought I would share some of my findings. First of all, this is 50 times the show that Boston is. From the friendliness of the people to the really updated and modern bathroom and restaurant at the convention center. It feels so plush! Which I guess is what I really love about the leisure travel vans as well as the Hymer Aktiv 2.0. Very very plush and so impressed.

Here is what I learned, something that most of you probably already know…

The leisure travel van wonder which is what I really want it until I found out it only had two seatbelts, only has two seatbelts because they can only support sleeping for two. Apparently you can only have one seatbelt per sleeping position. They got away with more seatbelts in the unity twin bed model because they can cheat an extra bed between the driver and passengers seat in the front. And so, I learned that the Class B because it is also a second vehicle, rather than a recreation vehicle, means they can put as many seatbelts as they want without regard to the sleeping situation.

I chatted with the infamous Dean from Leisure travel vans, what a nice guy! And so informative. He asked me what my camping needs were and family situation, etc. He told me they are working on the wonder RTB and that will basically be like the unity and offer the extra seat belts and sleeping positions. The Prototype should be ready in June so that would be for only 2018. He said they were working fast and furious on it.

The Hymer rep was at the show as well and I learned a ton from him about the aktiv 2.0. I think at this point it serves my needs better than the leisure travel vans offerings.

I guess the question is, do I wait until that leisure travel RTB model is out… My gut instinct says not to as my kids are getting older and there's only so long I have with them. Also, next year my daughter is a junior in high school I will be driving her around to look at colleges and I thought how much fun it would be to travel in the RV.

One question for you with a class B, so you insure this as a vehicle but do you also have to have a RV insurance?

Is anyone else here at the show? If so, I'm at the really nice bar in the sparking restaurant having a delicious chicken Caesar salad and a beer. Please join me!

We attended early Thursday morning - a great time to go, apart from tickets being half price, very few people around so you could take your time looking at the vehicles and it was easy to reach sales folk and factory reps as needed.

First time I had seen the Leisure Travel vans 0 they are are plush and beautiful, but unfortunately all too large for us to fit in our drive unless I inset oe of our garage doors a couple of feet which some folk have done. I suppose that wouldn't be too big an undertaking!

However I really think I would like to stay with something in the 21-23 ft range which I think for us will strike a better balance at being "just big enough" and yet also more flexible for parking, manouevering, and use as a second vehicle.

The Aktiv 2.0 was one that I had really wanted to see but was a little dissapointed as we both found it just way too claustrophobic with the extremely narrow aisle. The dinette was a plus but even it was very confining despite the fact that we are both on the smallish side!

I certainly know that it is different strokes for different folks and for many, the Aktiv 2.0 could be just perfect. I could probably be ok with it, but my "Mrs" had stronger views!

The one we both liked the best was the PW Lexor ST and it would suit us fine. For now it comes to the top of our list!

I gather they are just coming out with a PW Lexor FL version by relocating the hanging closet that is right behind the driver's seat to a rearward position just aft of the fridge.

That not only seems to permit a larger hanging closet but also allows full rotation of the driver's seat and inclusion of a small flip down computer shelf.

(One of the few negatives we had about the Lexor TS was the extremely narrow
hanging closet - two thin jackets and that would be it!)

We missed out on the nice restaurant and bar that you mentioned - damn! Allw e say was a booth selling ice creams in winter! We stopped for a meal on the short journey home instead.

Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #5
Gold Member

Wingeezer, I hear you! I definitely prefer the extra interior space of the leisure travel vans, but having driven nine hours from Boston and driving along side 18 wheelers in a tiny BMW X1, and feeling a little rattled, it made me realize that the smaller width vehicle is probably a better choice for me.

I toured all the B class vans and I like the Hymer the best. The roadtrek seems to have such an awesome reputation but I did not like walking in to see a bathroom straight in front of me. I preferred seeing the small dinette table. I think for the way that I would use it, we would be mainly outdoors in lawn chairs but I felt with the power sofa in the back of the Hymer as well as the small dinette at front that it maximizes the living space while minimizing storage and bathroom. That is an ideal set up for me since we won't be traveling for long periods of time.

I'm about to get on the road to go home but when I get there, I will post some pictures. One of which is the sparkly restaurant!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wingeezer, I hear you! I definitely prefer the extra interior space of the leisure travel vans, but having driven nine hours from Boston and driving along side 18 wheelers in a tiny BMW X1, and feeling a little rattled, it made me realize that the smaller width vehicle is probably a better choice for me.

I toured all the B class vans and I like the Hymer the best. The roadtrek seems to have such an awesome reputation but I did not like walking in to see a bathroom straight in front of me. I preferred seeing the small dinette table. I think for the way that I would use it, we would be mainly outdoors in lawn chairs but I felt with the power sofa in the back of the Hymer as well as the small dinette at front that it maximizes the living space while minimizing storage and bathroom. That is an ideal set up for me since we won't be traveling for long periods of time.

I'm about to get on the road to go home but when I get there, I will post some pictures. One of which is the sparkly restaurant!

Agreed, the Aktiv seems to fit a lot of stuff in there. The bathroom is a bit tight but workable.

Surprising amount of storage under the rear sofa - I had expected to see lithoum batteries in there but we spoke with Steve MacDonald, the rep from Hymer who told us they were underneath the van. The Lexor does have them under the back seat)

I had though that there was a problem in cold weather such that you could not charge Lithiums in freezing temperatures and that was why they were inside - perhaps the Hymer has a heated compartment underneath for them or maybe the charging circuitry is such that it won't charge below a certain temp.

Sound like the Hymer fills the bill for you - I do like the fact that it has the underhood generator rather than an Onan. I wish PW would go that route and it wouldn't surprise me if they do at some point - probably right after we buy with with an Onan!

Brian
Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

.... The roadtrek seems to have such an awesome reputation...

!

Don't mean to shatter your illusion...

but the awesome roadtreks are the old roadtreks (pre-2008 ).
The recent batches suffered embarrassing failures and uncaring customer follow-ups.
They are trying; I hope they have pulled their socks up and made improvments.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Indoorsy

We missed you but I saw your X1 as we were parked in the same row. I saw the MASS license plates and wondered if it was you! We were with friends and were hanging out in the Serenity! We were in deep conversations with Dean and discussing what was in the pipeline for LTV, too.

Glad that the trip was worthwhile for you!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Don't mean to shatter your illusion...

but the awesome roadtreks are the old roadtreks (pre-2008 ).
The recent batches suffered embarrassing failures and uncaring customer follow-ups.
They are trying; I hope they have pulled their socks up and made improvments.
Roadtrek's 6 yr warranty that I believe also covers appliances such as fridge and AC is tempting and to some extent makes one less concerned about issues with Voltstart and such.

But then I have heard that getting warranty repairs by dealers can be a frustrating experience, so it might be preferable to opt for what is reckoned to be the highest quality MH even if it means a lesser warranty - and hope you never need the warranty !

Also I think that for minor warrantee items that one can handle oneself with little
or no material cost, sometimes it may be much less hassle just to deal with it yourself and forego the warranty claim!

I think PW offer a 5 year warranty - but appliances are only covered by the manufacturers warranty, typically one year.

Winnebago, I think give just a one year warranty.

I have always done my own work on trailers that we have owned, repacks, repairs to AC / furnace / HW heater etc., but some of the modern electronics - multiplex wiring etc. - would be beyond my capabilities!

For years I have restored Brit sports cars and worked on bikes as a hobby, but I wouldn't consider doing much with a modern car or truck! Looks like RV's are going the same way

Brian.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #10
Gold Member

Wow, cruisefx! Funny you saw my car! Wasn't Dean the best? What a great guy! Wish he'd bottle up his personality... I'd take a teaspoon every morning!!

Wingeezer, I appreciate your take on the warranty / in reading the forums seems a mechanical inclination is almost a must, I'm smart, handy and resourceful but doubtful I'd be good at mechanical issues (or electrical).

BBQ, thank you for the heads up. I wish I had your depth of knowledge and insight. I've been on the forums reading as much as I can to try and get some idea / lay of the land. It's a process! Thank you again ��