Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Total newbie, microwave isn't working

This is the first time I've taken my RV out (any RV on my own) and plugged it in. I wanted to use the microwave but it's as if it doesn't have power. It's old and I bought it from a private party, so no dealer walk through.

I'm probably doing something wrong, I was surprised when I flipped the fuses the lights didn't go out, does that mean it's running off the battery and not the electrical connection? I did turn on the 30 amp fuse (I had a choice of 50, 30 or 20) at the power pole (whatever you call it).

Help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not sure I can even replace this microwave, it's TINY!
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
This is the first time I've taken my RV out (any RV on my own) and plugged it in. I wanted to use the microwave but it's as if it doesn't have power. It's old and I bought it from a private party, so no dealer walk through.

I'm probably doing something wrong, I was surprised when I flipped the fuses the lights didn't go out, does that mean it's running off the battery and not the electrical connection? I did turn on the 30 amp fuse (I had a choice of 50, 30 or 20) at the power pole (whatever you call it).

Help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not sure I can even replace this microwave, it's TINY!

Model, year.

Pictures.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
Platinum Member

This may be a 2005 PW Plateau...member has posted on that vehicle before

are you getting power to the rest of your van- the 120 volt ( like your house) outlets work?

you may have GFCI outlets near your sink(s) check that the reset buttons on these are pushed in.

you should have circuit breakers at a panel, they will have numbers on them such as 15, 20, 30...make sure each of these is in the on position
If you have a sofa , the panel may be at the base of the sofa

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:50 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for the information! I checked, I didn't have any 120v. I went back out to the shore power pole and looked at the fuses, I turned it off, not on. The microwave works fine.

I said I was a newbie, I'm making all kinds of mistakes, it's actually kind of funny. I usually do pretty well thinking things through but this is so foreign to me. Now maybe my refrigerator will get cold again, thankfully I don't have much in it that can spoil.

Yes, it's a 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I find that I use my microwave display to confirm IF I have 120 volt power to the van, I can look in through my side door and see it.

You may want to consider getting a tester ( or a surge device) so that you don;t hurt your van ($$$) by plugging into a bad source.
I have only seen this once but the wiring was incorrect in the "pedestal" at a campground.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=STUGWEAOAYZ0

I cannot recommend any particular product as i don't use them ( cause I use a volt meter), but you might benefit from a surge protector with indicator lights

or even these 2 devices

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Gear-3-...12ZZHZ37YY22AJ

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55233-E...1M4RRV0SPZ7DWF

would allow you to check wiring polarity and ground are correct for $10

back to earlier GFCI- yours in probably by the sink in the bath- if it gets tripped it will likely kill outlets in the galley and outside ( my PW Lexor is wired like this) just an FYI if those outlets ever not work when you KNOW you have 120 volt power- check the GFCI reset button.
You may also want to have a look at your circuit panel so you are familiar for when you need it.

and a flashlight handy too

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
::

Yes, it's a 2005 Pleasure Way Plateau.

Thanks again for your help.

If you add that to your profile and signature line,
then you do not have to repeat it every time you ask questions.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:29 AM   #7
Platinum Member

We were all newbies at one point or the other.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:13 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Thanks again

I think I'll look into a surge protector as I thought I fried something when the water pump didn't work. Later found out the interior lights weren't working either.

I hated to ask again so soon so I kept searching (I do have the manual, all 18 pages of it).

Turned out to be a breaker got tripped and they're also labeled wrong.