Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Default Towing

I have a 2000 pleasure way 3500 dodge 5.9 engine any one know how much I can tow?
__________________

Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc197 View Post
I have a 2000 pleasure way 3500 dodge 5.9 engine any one know how much I can tow?
There should be a sticker on your vehicle.
(Check your door jam.)

It should state the GVWR.
You might have to get GCVWR from your chassis manufacturer.

Have you weighed your vehicle?
Loaded. ie with full fuel, full water, etc.
__________________

__________________
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
There should be a sticker on your vehicle.
(Check your door jam.)

It should state the GVWR.
You might have to get GCVWR from your chassis manufacturer.

Have you weighed your vehicle?
Loaded. ie with full fuel, full water, etc.
OK my GVWR shows 9200 lbs so if I took it in and weighted it then subtracted that
from the 9200 would that be what I can tow? What is GCVWR?
Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Bruceper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 635
Default

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GCWR = Gross Combined Weight Rating

GCWR is the weight of your vehicle, occupants, gear, fuel, food, water, waste etc PLUS the weight you are towing.

2000 Dodge B3500 Ram Maxi Van 5.9 V-8 8400 lb

Note that this is under ideal conditions and assuming you have 4.10 gear ratio. Tongue weight is limited by GAWR and hitch rating. Over 2000 pounds a weight distributing hitch is recommended. Electric brakes are required after 1500-2000 pounds (depending on jurisdiction).

Disclaimer - The above information may or may not accurate. Please contact a Dodge dealer for updated or corrected information.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
GCWR = Gross Combined Weight Rating

GCWR is the weight of your vehicle, occupants, gear, fuel, food, water, waste etc PLUS the weight you are towing.

2000 Dodge B3500 Ram Maxi Van 5.9 V-8 8400 lb

Note that this is under ideal conditions and assuming you have 4.10 gear ratio. Tongue weight is limited by GAWR and hitch rating. Over 2000 pounds a weight distributing hitch is recommended. Electric brakes are required after 1500-2000 pounds (depending on jurisdiction).

Disclaimer - The above information may or may not accurate. Please contact a Dodge dealer for updated or corrected information.
Thank so much for the info . I can see it is not as simple as an owners manual that
Says you can tow up to a certain amount.
Jimc197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:39 AM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Bruceper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 635
Default

You can tow up to that amount, with some caveats, rules and exceptions... lol
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East
Posts: 2,484
Default

.

Sales people like to tell you the hitch's capacity,
which is entirely different than the vehicle's towing capacity.

__________________

__________________
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.