Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
BBQ
Platinum Member

Default Toyota Hiace High Roof

If Toyota brings this van to US,
I bet it would grab 50% of the van market.
Not every business needs a Transit-size van.

The RV landscape would change as well.
Many people who were not considering an RV before will buy it as a second vehicle; the same way people used to buy a station wagon as a second car.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

I would KILL to have a B-van built on a Toyota platform. They know reliability like nobody else. But, the Hiace had its last major update in 2004! That is pretty long in the tooth. I don't think it would be close to being competitive in its present form. For starters, I can't imagine that it is very safe by modern standards.

I really doubt that Toyota would attempt to introduce it into the American market absent a complete rework. This is clearly overdue, so maybe...
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default Saw these as passenger vans in Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I would KILL to have a B-van built on a Toyota platform. They know reliability like nobody else. But, the Hiace had its last major update in 2004! That is pretty long in the tooth. I don't think it would be close to being competitive in its present form. For starters, I can't imagine that it is very safe by modern standards.

I really doubt that Toyota would attempt to introduce it into the American market absent a complete rework. This is clearly overdue, so maybe...
They are really nice... but, they are NOT as large as a Sprinter...
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Dimensions

Smaller than a Sienna minivan.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hiace-1.JPG (36.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #5
Platinum Member

The current Sienna is about 200 inches long. This Hiance is about 185 inches long, even though it looks much bigger. The videos don't show it next to anything that allows you to compare it to, like a 6 foot tall person, a Camry, a Corolla or even a Sienna.

Having owned s series of Toyotas, I'd be the first in line to buy an RV-sized Toyota van. If Pleasureway outfitted such a vehicle, my checkbook would fly out of my pocket.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Wouldn't meet the crash requirements in the USA, so it's not even worth for them to consider.
Besides that, 50% of the van market is roughly 50k vehicles. Again not worth for them to consider. And they wouldn't be able to compete with Ford's or GM's fleet prices....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default Does not matter if it fails US Federal Safety Standards....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Wouldn't meet the crash requirements in the USA, so it's not even worth for them to consider.
Besides that, 50% of the van market is roughly 50k vehicles. Again not worth for them to consider. And they wouldn't be able to compete with Ford's or GM's fleet prices....
It's a moot point.

Besides that, 50% of the van market is roughly 50k vehicles. Again not worth for them to consider.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We actually rented a camperized Toyota Hiace high-top in Australia some years ago. It was a great little unit. We lived in it for 4 months but it is small and we hit a lot of bad weather which left us with 2 choices - sit on the bed or sit in the front seat. So I would not buy/rent one for extended trips now. Just a little more room makes a huge difference. We now own a 22 foot Rialta which is perfect for us room wise.
Weroadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 AM   #9
Silver Member

Lol !! Safety since mid two thousands ?!? Unless you want the car braking and steering for you I don't know of any safety upgrades and I personally dont consider those upgrades.
Trucks and motorhomes are built to be about as safe as parachutes and olympic ski jumps. Lol.
actually, unless you're rich, what you want for a motorhome conversion(or anything else really) is a vehicle thats a little long in the tooth so they've had time to iron out defects in the systems and in the engine, trans, etc.
That is unless you are one of those people who has to have everything new as a matter of status and/or emotional comfort. Which is ok of course but it's the more expensive route always being the guinea pig for the corporations new and overpriced crap.
I'm ok with my used American campers but ive also owned Honda's, and still do.
My Honda cycle is running fine but my Accord just decided to go full throttle the other day while I was on a residential street and blew me through a stop sign before I could get it stopped and turned off to wait for a tow truck.
It would not come off full throttle even when restarted.
...probably a "modern computer safety feature" gone awry.
Fortunately I swerved and missed the one car in the intersection...
Camoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
Lol !! Safety since mid two thousands ?!? Unless you want the car braking and steering for you I don't know of any safety upgrades and I personally dont consider those upgrades.
Trucks and motorhomes are built to be about as safe as parachutes and olympic ski jumps. Lol.
actually, unless you're rich, what you want for a motorhome conversion(or anything else really) is a vehicle thats a little long in the tooth so they've had time to iron out defects in the systems and in the engine, trans, etc.
That is unless you are one of those people who has to have everything new as a matter of status and/or emotional comfort. Which is ok of course but it's the more expensive route always being the guinea pig for the corporations new and overpriced crap.
I'm ok with my used American campers but ive also owned Honda's, and still do.
My Honda cycle is running fine but my Accord just decided to go full throttle the other day while I was on a residential street and blew me through a stop sign before I could get it stopped and turned off to wait for a tow truck.
It would not come off full throttle even when restarted.
...probably a "modern computer safety feature" gone awry.
Fortunately I swerved and missed the one car in the intersection...
Cruise Control? I know of it happening.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #11
Silver Member

Not sure bud, but thanks for the suggestion. I'll have that checked !
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default How would it do in a crash test???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Cruise Control? I know of it happening.

Bud
Yeah, all of these things are important, but, if the driver, passenger and occupants all got seriously injured in a crash test... that would be very bad.

If the Toyota HiAce is anything like the worst mini van.. you don't want to be in this vehicle.

This is why the IIHS exists.

Safety ratings

They don't test all vehicles, but, there's other independent places that do...

Sprinter vs. Transit

Ford Transit

Various vans

Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #13
Silver Member

On crash tests: The condition of the vehicle is not what matters.
In fact, the less damage to the vehicle means that more energy is transferred to the people inside.
If the passenger is sheltered from the impact itself, you want the vehicle to crumple as much as possible.
Basically, you protect the occupants by slowing the vehicle more gradually.
So what matters is how long it took for the vehicle to come to a stop.
As they say with falls: it's not the fall that kills you, it's the SUDDEN stop.
The same applies to vehicle crashes.
So if the sprinter took 2 seconds to stop and had less vehicle damage and the Ford took 3 seconds to stop with more vehicle damage, then the people in the ford are going to have far less injuries all other things being equal(seat belts hold, passenger not hit with debris, etc).